The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

A mostly sensible column from Leckie about the SPFL playoff system and the Conference League nonsense, but I had to laugh at him slating Gretna as a sugar daddy's castle built on straw and then a few paragraphs later, citing East Kilbride and Darvel as great clubs who deserve a shot at getting promoted to the Premiership.

It is Leckie and the Sun, so click at your own risk.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10742343/english-football-fairytale-luton-scottish-play-off-bill-leckie/

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

A mostly sensible column from Leckie about the SPFL playoff system and the Conference League nonsense, but I had to laugh at him slating Gretna as a sugar daddy's castle built on straw and then a few paragraphs later, citing East Kilbride and Darvel as great clubs who deserve a shot at getting promoted to the Premiership.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10742343/english-football-fairytale-luton-scottish-play-off-bill-leckie/

You've done it, so we don't have to.

It looks like he's still trying his man of the people, sticking up for the wee guy act, but hasn't quite got it right yet.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

46 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Genuinely surprised to discover Leckie is still working. Assumed he'd been shunted off to a retirement home years ago.

2 hours ago, lennyzer0 said:

Genuinely surprised to discover Leckie is still working. Assumed he'd been shunted off to a retirement home years ago.

I imagine the retirement home for Scottish sports journalists must be like St Clabbert's in Father Ted:

DRINK! ARSE! FECK! SCOTLAND NEEDS A STRONG CELTIC AND RANGERS!

On 28/05/2023 at 15:45, Zamora Fan said:

They do have coverage of the dramatic bottom six final day .. but you can genuinely tot up the mistakes here in what is literally 3 quick lines of copy. (Taken at 15:40)

— Motherwell - Dundee United is 1-1

— Saints - Livingston is 1-0, they’ve obviously chucked the bit for United’s game in there

— And that isn’t how you spell “facing.” 

Any more?

D5588FBD-984E-457F-A2CB-2D16428D515D.jpeg

Maybe meant "United: f*** you, relegation"?

23 hours ago, lennyzer0 said:

I thought he disappeared into obscurity after the failed experiment Sportsound had with making him effectively their main SFL (as-was) commentator in the late 2000s. 

Whenever he “commentated” on a game, your knowledge of what was happening was no different to if you’d shut yourself in a darkened room surrounded by a Faraday cage. 

Kind of like Open All Mics, but worse.

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

I thought he disappeared into obscurity after the failed experiment Sportsound had with making him effectively their main SFL (as-was) commentator in the late 2000s. 

Whenever he “commentated” on a game, your knowledge of what was happening was no different to if you’d shut yourself in a darkened room surrounded by a Faraday cage. 

Kind of like Open All Mics, but worse.

I suppose when they pulled Andy Walker from whichever 'Jeff Goldblum in the Fly' transformation chamber he fell out of, there was no need for another clueless arsehole who literally can't describe the things which are happening in front of his face and doesn't even know the basic rules of the sport he's watching?

41 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

More PTTGOYN than Terrible Journalism, but what's with the inverted 'commas' around random 'words'?

Screenshot from 2023-05-30 09-59-23.png

Screenshot from 2023-05-30 09-59-33.png

Screenshot from 2023-05-30 09-59-45.png

Screenshot from 2023-05-30 10-00-25.png

Screenshot from 2023-05-30 10-00-34.png

Single quote marks = Speculative drivel for the purposes of clicks (or more accurately "a story that an agent asked me to write").

On 30/05/2023 at 10:17, lennyzer0 said:

I suppose when they pulled Andy Walker from whichever 'Jeff Goldblum in the Fly' transformation chamber he fell out of, there was no need for another clueless arsehole who literally can't describe the things which are happening in front of his face and doesn't even know the basic rules of the sport he's watching?

Superb!!😂 Andy Brundlecunt

5 hours ago, Raidernation said:

More lickspittle, fawning garbage than terrible journalism but......

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65783685

I threw up a little reading this

Far be it for me to suggest a journalist would just make stuff up, but this quote seems unlikely.

"I started to watch Pedro, the former Barcelona player, and nick some of his skills."