The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 10/05/2023 at 10:31, Dundee Hibernian said:

I read that: same old unproven drivel, no argument, debate or evidence. 

It truly is fucking depressing.

How the Hell does any of that infantile, unsupportable pish constitute the basis for a piece in a broadsheet? 

14 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

As well as the GD debacle last week the BBC can't show the aggregate score of a two legged tie tonight.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the graphics suite doesn’t support it because it’s not needed for any English football. 

I remember the eye bleeding approach to showing the aggregate score last season. They had it for one half of the second leg of the quarter final before binning it:

[ICT 0-0 (2-1) PAR]

Edited by The Master

33 minutes ago, The Master said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the graphics suite doesn’t support it because it’s not needed for any English football. 

I remember the eye bleeding approach to showing the aggregate score last season. They had it for one half of the second leg of the quarter final before binning it:

[ICT 0-0 (2-1) PAR]

You might be correct as watching UK ice hockey the graphics suite doesn't support aggregate scores.

Of course they take the entirely sensible approach of just showing the aggregate score. 

3 hours ago, The Master said:

[ICT 0-0 (2-1) PAR]

We can only hope that when the 21st Century and advanced computer systems arrive this will be a thing of the past.

12 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

s.png.42b13efd8ce0d6baa0c612a808cf0b81.png

Free lesson for any aspiring website updating tea boys journalists amongst you - just use a normal word. Don't try to be clever.

It’s just more tabloid style pish from the BBC.

Was reading the text on BBC while watching the end of Glasgow City v Partick Thistle in the SWPL.

Thanks to the text updates, I thought I was watching an "Agueerrrrrrrrro" moment when Glasgow City scored a late winner.

Turns out there's another round of fixtures next week.

FFS, helicopter not required.

image.png.c2527c2e49c8db186c7e7c1212bb1613.png

Screenshot_20230516_092735_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bf92f3bbafdca059df98099f9a23fbf3.jpg

Naw he didnae...

I'm guessing they had a wee headline primed for every possible winner from the list of nominees, and when you click the link it does take you to a story detailing Kyogo as the actual winner. It's Tuesday though, and this is still the same.

Lazy, incompetent shite. (much like the players' decision imo. Kev wuz robbed).

On 14/05/2023 at 18:19, Dirty Sanchez said:

Was reading the text on BBC while watching the end of Glasgow City v Partick Thistle in the SWPL.

Thanks to the text updates, I thought I was watching an "Agueerrrrrrrrro" moment when Glasgow City scored a late winner.

Turns out there's another round of fixtures next week.

FFS, helicopter not required.

image.png.c2527c2e49c8db186c7e7c1212bb1613.png

That goal difference man...

On 12/05/2023 at 20:43, The Master said:

[ICT 0-0 (2-1) PAR]

You might be right.

But 10 years into the play offs, at least the last several years of which have been broadcast on BBC, youd think someone could take a half day and update the graphics to allow an aggregate score.

Cant be that hard.

Not really anything to do with journalism as such, but regarding the chat about BBC Scotland graphics, does the colour scheme annoy anyone? The time is white letters on a bright blue background. Found it almost impossible to read in the Partick vs Queens Park games due to it being quite bright, sunny nights. When the camera focuses on the crowd or dugout to a darker background, its tolerable, but when the background is the sun or floodlights shining on the pitch, its migraine inducing trying to see how longs left.

On 07/05/2023 at 16:13, tam the bud said:

BBC reporter Kheredine Idessane saying Ibrox is full  😂

Idessane huffily pointing out he's from Edinburgh every time he sucks up to the Old Firm is one of the funnier things I've noticed on Twitter recently.

22 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

You might be right.

But 10 years into the play offs, at least the last several years of which have been broadcast on BBC, youd think someone could take a half day and update the graphics to allow an aggregate score.

Cant be that hard.

I think this is a relatively new development - they used to have their own graphics but now seem to be using the same BBC-wide graphics that are used for all sports.