The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 15/02/2023 at 16:44, KirkieRR said:

Where is smarmy git Graeme Spiers, noo? Used to be highly regarded by some mainly because they thought anyone who used such tortuous sentences and big words must be dead brainy and dead good. I loathed him because of his frequent uninformed chortlefests about the Juniors about which, as, frankly, a rather posh chap, he knew nothing.

An Old Firm lover who became a pariah when the Old Firm fans fell out with him. 

I remember when the new Rangers were allowed into League 2 he found himself reporting on Spiffle Premier games not involving either half of the OF. At one point he went into a reverie about how he'd learned that, at the likes of St Johnstone and St Mirren, local people went and, you know, supported their local team. This seemed quite a revelation to him.

Last time I switched off the radio on hearing his voice he was presenting some must-miss golf chat programme.

He has a podcast that you have to pay for, apparently it's alright, but the main benefit is that it's got him further away from TV and Radio to a place where only your patrons can here you scream - Patreon. 

Where is smarmy git Graeme Spiers, noo? Used to be highly regarded by some mainly because they thought anyone who used such tortuous sentences and big words must be dead brainy and dead good.

Similar to Michael Stewart. And he can't even play piano!*

*To the best of my knowledge.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Always felt spiers was articulate but talked shite. Not sure Stewart could ever be described as articulate tbh. 

Just speaking coherently probably elevates him in the eyes of many given many of his counterparts in punditry roles can’t do it.

Just now, AJF said:

Just speaking coherently probably elevates him in the eyes of many given many of his counterparts in punditry roles can’t do it.

Yes I think so. Spiers is actually a journalist so it would stand to reason that he probably does have a grasp of the English language. 

Stewart always wants to elevate himself above the former player cliche of being a total thicko. He probably just about achieves that but it can take him a fucking age to get out a poorly formed point. 

I find myself often agreeing with the sentiment but just wishing he’d get on with it. 

Where is smarmy git Graeme Spiers, noo? Used to be highly regarded by some mainly because they thought anyone who used such tortuous sentences and big words must be dead brainy and dead good. I loathed him because of his frequent uninformed chortlefests about the Juniors about which, as, frankly, a rather posh chap, he knew nothing.

An Old Firm lover who became a pariah when the Old Firm fans fell out with him. 

I remember when the new Rangers were allowed into League 2 he found himself reporting on Spiffle Premier games not involving either half of the OF. At one point he went into a reverie about how he'd learned that, at the likes of St Johnstone and St Mirren, local people went and, you know, supported their local team. This seemed quite a revelation to him.

Last time I switched off the radio on hearing his voice he was presenting some must-miss golf chat programme.

Other than being a smarmy twat I don't recall Celtic fans ever having too much of a problem with him. He was hated by the old Rangers Board for calling out 'succulent lamb' journalism when they had most of the Scottish media in their pockets. He then fell out with the fans for calling out their bigotry which pissed them off more than usual as he was a fan himself. However of recent he did write a pretty horrific piece on David Goodwillie being allowed to play again which I doubt went well with mainstream broadcasters.

Edited by gannonball

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Yet verbally says "should of, could of, would of".

"Of" is not a verb, you can't "of" anything.

I dont disagree on the face of it, but thats partly his accent and where he comes from - I doubt he would write it as "of".

When I say "could have", it definitely comes out like "kood uv". 

My wife (Originally English) hates that I pronunce the word "almond" like "amund".

21 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Or perhaps I mean it's went beyond being retrievable.

Now that is a whole different ball game and does demonstrate a lack of vocab !

5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I dont disagree on the face of it, but thats partly his accent and where he comes from - I doubt he would write it as "of".

When I say "could have", it definitely comes out like "kood uv". 

My wife (Originally English) hates that I pronunce the word "almond" like "amund".

What is she now then?

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

What is she now then?

Apologies, typed too quickly, meant to say originally from Stirling but English.

My son never tires of telling her shes English, despite having spent all her adult life up here 🤭

37 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Apologies, typed too quickly, meant to say originally from Stirling but English.

My son never tires of telling her shes English, despite having spent all her adult life up here 🤭

No need to apologise, just me trying to be smart, as usual.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/4154449/jim-spence-dundee-united-must-replace-fear-with-bravery-to-complete-long-walk-to-top-flight-safety/

The Dundee United players fingered by Coach Liam Fox for lacking bravery should heed the words of the late South African President Nelson Mandela, who spent 27 years in jail under the apartheid regime.

That conjures up quite an image, and now I need to bleach my brain.