The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Re 'Darwen' above. The BBC site has opened a forum - 'Have Your Say' - on Darvel and one thing noticeable about the ha-ha-bleedin-Jock-football-is-a-pub-league-innit  Premier League armchair fanboys who are HYS's core market is that they can't handle the word 'Darvel' even when it's written on the screen they're looking at. 'Derval' and 'Darwel' are the most common variants.

There actually was a football club called Darwen who took the first (illicit) professional footballers from Scotland down to England in the 1870s. They once even faced a Scottish club competitively, when they thrashed Hearts 7-1 in Lancashire in FA Cup.

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

There actually was a football club called Darwen who took the first (illicit) professional footballers from Scotland down to England in the 1870s. They once even faced a Scottish club competitively, when they thrashed Hearts 7-1 in Lancashire in FA Cup.

I think thats on the Hearts honours list:

Lancashire cup runners up

Just below the tennents sixes 

8 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Re 'Darwen' above. The BBC site has opened a forum - 'Have Your Say' - on Darvel and one thing noticeable about the ha-ha-bleedin-Jock-football-is-a-pub-league-innit  Premier League armchair fanboys who are HYS's core market is that they can't handle the word 'Darvel' even when it's written on the screen they're looking at. 'Derval' and 'Darwel' are the most common variants.

Not sure if you’re taking the piss or not, but to quote an error in getting a team’s name wrong, and then getting the wrong name wrong, has given me a laugh to start my day.

9 hours ago, G_&_T said:

There's no excuse for reputed publications not spelling Darvel correctly, however it does demonstrate just how big of a shock that victory was last night.

Aye, but if you are an English journalist, it probably scans as "Daavil" because the useless twonks dont care about pronunciation of towns further north than St Albans and throw the "R" away (per The Proclaimers).

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Not sure if you’re taking the piss or not, but to quote an error in getting a team’s name wrong, and then getting the wrong name wrong, has given me a laugh to start my day.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, old boy. I haven't spelt anything wrong, but if thinking I had brings you joy, who am I to quibble?

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Aye, but if you are an English journalist, it probably scans as "Daavil" because the useless twonks dont care about pronunciation of towns further north than St Albans and throw the "R" away (per The Proclaimers).

Just notice that I wrote 'reputed', when I meant 'reputable'. 

The quality of journalism nowadays is rubbish, generally. I can only speculate whether this would've happened twenty or forty years ago, but I reckon it wouldn't have. Nowadays with the availability of the internet, there's less excuse for it, too.

4 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Look a few posts earlier. I was referring to someone's previous post who mentioned Darwen.

Yours is the first mention of Darwen. MotD tweet said Darwin.

You've made an arse of it. Move on.

Goodness, Darwen and Darwin? That's pub-emptying pedantry, laddie.

But yes, if you insist, I'm having a terribly bad day. I'll live the rest of my life, which won't be very long, in a deep slough of utter shame and all my joys will be ashes, all my pleasures pains, and there will be no future, no aspiration, no relief. I am in a bad place.

You, by contrast, are an Aberdeen supporter.

Hang on...

On 24/01/2023 at 23:14, KirkieRR said:

See also Livvie, Livy or Livvy

On 25/01/2023 at 08:34, Leith Green said:

The Poclaimers?