The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 hours ago, Charles Stiles said:

That they've decided to list fixtures by what some Salford based VL thinks is their quality has always got me fizzing. If you think this is bad you should see it when the FA Cup is just starting. In addition to the usual English dross you've to scroll through hundreds of games like Chipping Sodbury Lighthouse v Ottery St Mary & District Bus Driver's Welfare Social Club before getting to the Scottish Championship and the others. It's genuinely a complete insult.

McGlashan knew all this 30-odd years ago.

6 hours ago, lennyzer0 said:

6 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

Is he Finnished?

6 hours ago, gannonball said:

8 mate

Humorously him having 8 caps is debatable anyway, as 1 of those was v Bonaire (dependency of Netherlands) who play in local and regional cups but aren't in FIFA; some places credit him with 7.

22 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

You cant be having a Rangers* manager called Mick, Joey.

To be sure.

You certainly couldn't have one called "Mick Joey". Mickey Joe, on the other hand...

Good old bbc reporting. Livingston v Dundee United is on after inspection - BBC Sport 

Livingston say the precautionary inspection was required because of "freezing conditions in West Lothian over the last few days".

They are fourth in the table before the game at Tony Macaroni Arena, with Dundee United third from bottom.

United won the teams' first league game this season at Tannadice in August.

They then defeated Livingston in the Scottish League Cup later that month at Tony Macaroni Arena.

Pretty sure they didn't.

image.png.ad7216b04ba2ad633628226c4052d23d.png

17 minutes ago, The Master said:

The sports presenter on Reporting Scotland didn’t realise Livingston v Dundee Utd was postponed until it came up on the screen behind him. 

To be fair it was only called off at 6.30pm seemingly. 

8 minutes ago, The Master said:

Which was 20 minutes before the sport segment.

Script already written and on auto prompter, someone forgot to tell him in his ear. Hardly terrible journalism. If it had been called off at the initial inspection, yes. 

Edited by Rugster

On 16/01/2023 at 16:23, kingjoey said:

Angelos Postecoglou gets called by his preferred name of Ange by every pundit and interviewer that I’ve ever heard.

Michael Beale’s preferred name is Mick, but every pundit and interviewer I’ve ever heard since he came back to Rangers calls him Michael. 

I’m confused.

Mick Beale sounds like an Eastenders character.

In today's Record, wee Bazza Ferg banging the drum for "Rangers need to poach Shankland and Nisbet" 😤😤😤😤 

Amusingly he then goes on to list other Scottish strikers Rangers have signed to the detriment of others in the league, and in some cases their careers....

And I nicked this classic from the Hibs thread.....

"The figure would have been higher if [event hadn't happened]". I'm sure, similarly, other clubs figures for academy players would be higher if [different event happened, i.e. played an academy player that they didn't]

Screenshot_20230120-183053.png

So, how do you describe Aberdeen FC to inform or remind the unknowing British public. Here's the Torygraphs effort. Not entirely inaccurate other than the misspelling but...

The excitement continues for Gall after watching his side turn over Scottish Premiership stalwarts Abderdeen, the team of Sir Alex Ferguson, Gordon Strachan and Eoin Jess.