The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

5 hours ago, Darren said:

Tom English reaching Chick Young levels of article writing today. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63056256

Maybe it's because I'm old and love the film, but I found the comparison between Steve Clarke's position with players falling like ninepins, and The Black Knight sketch from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, pretty clever. That won't be a popular view on here though.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Maybe it's because I'm old and love the film, but I found the comparison between Steve Clarke's position with players falling like ninepins, and The Black Knight sketch from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, pretty clever. That won't be a popular view on here though.

I think its possible to make the reference without stumbling excruciatingly over it for 4 paragraphs, throwing in another metaphor half way through just to make it even more disjointed.

You're right though, I dont think it's clever it think it's a well worn cliche played out a million times a day in meme form and on social media.

BBC have a section on their website just now with a few Memorable Games Between English and Scottish Clubs and have included a few ties where the Scottish club has lost. But no mention of unfancied Aberdeen turfing the UEFA Cup holders, Ipswich, out of the UEFA Cup.

12 hours ago, kingjoey said:

BBC have a section on their website just now with a few Memorable Games Between English and Scottish Clubs and have included a few ties where the Scottish club has lost. But no mention of unfancied Aberdeen turfing the UEFA Cup holders, Ipswich, out of the UEFA Cup.

Nothing about the Pars beating West Brom and Everton either.

The person who wrote the article clearly has very limited knowledge of any such ties not involving Celtic and the old, dead Rangers.

Edited by DA Baracus

40 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Nothing about the Pars beating West Brom and Everton either.

The person who wrote the article clearly has very limited knowledge of any such ties not involved Celtic and the old, dead Rangers.

Of course. The Everton one was a particular belter was it not?

On 28/09/2022 at 21:20, invergowrie arab said:

I think its possible to make the reference without stumbling excruciatingly over it for 4 paragraphs, throwing in another metaphor half way through just to make it even more disjointed.

You're right though, I dont think it's clever it think it's a well worn cliche played out a million times a day in meme form and on social media.

it's akin to a football crowd's idea of originality - in keeping with Monty Python, like singing "always look on the bright side of life" - to which a commentator invariably remarks on their fantastic humour.