The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Seeing all that makes me proud of what real supporters of football achieved that spring and summer.

Not the actual nuclear option, of levelling Ibrox and salting the earth thereafter, but the best we could, I think.

Very true. Without stringent opposition from fans of virtually every other club, they'd have slithered into the second tier and we'd have been denied the hilarity of about 50% of the Banter Years thread. The scare stories were tremendous though. Weren't FIVE clubs going to go into administration? 😂

Aye some papers had the badges of the five clubs and were saying that they were almost immediately about to be 'plunged' in to administration among other hilarious, bitter, tearful hopes of the game here disintegrating.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Another absolutely dreadful take. 

Says a lot more about Henry Mcleish than it does about football fans. 

And the pile of shite that is "reporting" it. Embarrassed that I used to work for that shower.

6 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Very true. Without stringent opposition from fans of virtually every other club, they'd have slithered into the second tier and we'd have been denied the hilarity of about 50% of the Banter Years thread. The scare stories were tremendous though. Weren't FIVE clubs going to go into administration? 😂

6 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Within weeks, I fear 😢

Thoughts and prayers with all concerned. 🙏

image.thumb.png.f1d2d6991f4e3499ccb2b9e8c4a32fd1.png

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

image.thumb.png.f1d2d6991f4e3499ccb2b9e8c4a32fd1.png

Gilmour was possibly the chief shit of it all.

Swaggering about not admitting them to the top flight, then an attempted bully boy when SFL clubs didn't play along with his plan of appeasing his own club's fans, then twisting the arms of others to make the exile brief.

A ghastly turd of a man.

On 30/08/2022 at 23:10, The_Judge said:

Apologies, I wasn't sure where to post but was trying to find some logic as to why such massive clubs would consider spending £20m on a player who was worth £1.5m in January and has done okay in domestic Scottish competition 😇

I think it’s fair enough. It’s the usual pish the tabloids up here pull on a regular basis with Rangers & Celtic players: “Player X linked with Real Madrid / Barcelona / Man City / Liverpool for £40million” except the transfer never seems to materialise. Fast forward a year and they sign for Southampton, Leicester, Burnley or some other English middleweight for £6million. 

15 minutes ago, Buzz Killington said:

All dead now I believe. 

13DC0D84-6ABA-4036-8F17-8F9E4CDB3FF6.thumb.jpeg.6aec81af25ce49f46ab2680c7267c3ac.jpeg

But you see, people in football always know best. So, when anyone employed by any club anywhere says that it's great that the OF qualified for the CL and got billions and billions of pounds each because all the other clubs get a few crumbs, they are definitely, definitely right and cannot be argued with.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Wtf is Henry Mcleish always seen as some sort of oracle about Scottish football issues or am I missing something?

Remember he's a former politician and short-lived First Minister who also played semi-pro... accordingly he's seen as a football mega-achiever, and must be a super-intellect. It's a sort of administrative version of why Craig Brown is always rolled-out in his bath chair to talk about the national team, particularly under-fire managers or long-shot qualifying prospects... except Brown's prognosis is always over-positive, and McLeish's over-negative.

While he was still flavour of the month in the corridors of power it became almost comical how he'd be turned-out the day before a big vote... always the day before... to throw his (paper tiger) weight behind whatever was being strong-armed. We need 10-team SPL. We need Rangers in SFL1. We need 12-12 > 8-8-8. Etc. etc. Of course the clubs said "no" every time... and catastrophe didn't follow.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

He wrote a report that told us next to nothing and achieved nothing about a decade ago.

Worse than that... he now says he regrets some of his recommendations that were implemented - particularly SPL/SFL merger that left 11-1 voting in place, plus SFA board reforms which he feels have seen it taken-over by SPFL (and particularly Scottish Premiership) clubs. He's particularly critical about how youth development and Scotland United: 2020 Vision program was pushed aside and replaced by the nebulous concept of Project Brave, with most resources directed to the top clubs. More recently he condemned keeping lower league football shut for months, and abolishing the Performance Director post after Malky Mackay moved on. He's also questioned the motivations behind US owners Deloitte review. Quite a transformation.

Back in 2010 you'd a situation where Topping + Doncaster pushed plans for 10-team SPL, with regionalisation below tier 2 plus B teams, and Henry McLeish acted as chief fan boy. Nowadays he's highly critical, indeed clearly feels 'betrayed'.

EDIT: That said his "Scottish Football: Requiem or Renaissance" only ranks #2 for most self-indulgent title on the topic. Top goes to an ex-SupportersDirect supremo:

9781906477820.jpg     image.png.f0a222f0f58376ac1f0fac615c6e6402.png

Edited by HibeeJibee