The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 27/08/2022 at 22:38, craigkillie said:

I'm not sure why you think this is terrible journalism or why those screenshots are relevant. The reason O'Riley is linked with bigger clubs is that he is a young player who has performed very well since moving to Celtic.

The idea that any of those clubs would ever sign him, or have nay genuine interest in him outside of his agent's daydreams, is surely an obvious nonsense though?

23 minutes ago, Jimmain said:

Holy fucksticks I'd forgotten all aboot her 🤣

#cringe

Apparently she's a Yes voter now.  I'm positive I read that somewhere.

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

As I said in the Challenge Cup thread, Dundee are not going to Wales.

Anyone with even a passing interest in the competition know that The New Saints play their home matches in Oswestry, Shropshire, England.

I missed that part :lol: So much fail in such a short Tweet. 

2 hours ago, The Master said:

I missed that part :lol: So much fail in such a short Tweet. 

We'll almost certainly field academy players in our tie, so hardlt a tough tie for Celtic B when they'll be playing against 16 and 17 year olds. Even more fail there.

20 hours ago, The Master said:

Another day, another instance of Tom English deliberately talking down the Scottish game to make us feel grateful for what we've got.

The reality is that the EFL does indeed attract higher gross figures, but that's because there's more games.

Per-game, the SPFL averages at just below 300k; the EFL 100k. 

I don't think the viewing figures come into it too much with the EFL.

As the feeder to the EPL, the EFL must be kept solvent(ish).

Clubs like Preston, Rotherham, and Millwall, who pretty much nobody outside their local area is interested in whatsoever, get a basic payment of £7m a year from the tv money. It's all because of the league they're below. Nobody gives a f**k whether anyone is watching or not, as is evidence by the continuing payment of these sums to a league hardly anyone actually watches (on telly).

Edited by VincentGuerin

24 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I never watch Sportscene but I can't believe it's so bad that Michael Stewart is considered a "good pundit".

It depends what the topic is, but he is actually about as good as there is in Scotland.

As mentioned above, he's more in-depth tactically than the usual lazy 'keeper should have done better' pish. The only other one who explains what is actually happening in a game well is Derek Ferguson.

He is also a clearer thinker (admittedly not difficult) on the more tricky issues than most of the other pundits. The problem is that he's not as articulate as he thinks he is and struggles to explain himself clearly when being howled at by a group of people who disagree with him. It's often frustrating listening to him knowing that he's simultaneously right on the issue he's talking about, and making such a c**t of explaining it that the choobs he's arguing with can make him sound unreasonable.

On 27/08/2022 at 22:38, craigkillie said:

I'm not sure why you think this is terrible journalism or why those screenshots are relevant. The reason O'Riley is linked with bigger clubs is that he is a young player who has performed very well since moving to Celtic.

Apologies, I wasn't sure where to post but was trying to find some logic as to why such massive clubs would consider spending £20m on a player who was worth £1.5m in January and has done okay in domestic Scottish competition 😇