The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Aberdeen won the Cup Winners' Cup. No Scottish club has ever won the UEFA Cup/Europa League.

OK, but it was essentially the 2nd most prestigious European trophy you could possibly win at the time, as is this one.

Edited by johnnydun

44 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

On the radio this morning some were saying that if The Rangers were to win this, it would be the greatest achievement of a Scottish club in Europe. Then they went on to say that although Celtic fans may disagree, it was a more level playing field back in '67.

Completely ignoring anything to do with Aberdeen already winning the same competition, and the Super Cup. 

It just really fucked me off more than it should have done.

Celtic have won the more prestigious tournament.

Aberdeen (A smaller club) have won the same tournament, plus the Super Cup.

But these wallopers, jumping on board the The Rangers love in, think that this is the greatest achievement.

f**k off.

I hope they get pumped.

Ignoring the dons element, it’s just wrong. It’s not the same as winning the European cup. It just isn’t. 

Rangers have probably beaten better teams than Celtic did in 1967 though. Celtic's entire run to that final consisted of Zurich, Nantes, Vojvodina Novi Sad and Dukla Prague.

Edited by craigkillie

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Rangers have probably beaten better teams than Celtic did in 1967 though. Celtic's entire run to that final consisted of Zurich, Nantes, Vojvodina Novi Sad and Dukla Prague.

Aberdeen beat Bayern Munich and Real Madrid. What's your point?

If you're seriously trying to equate Rangers winning this with Celtic winning in 1967, where does Rangers being pumped out of Europe's top competition by Malmo at the start of August come in?

Edited by Mr Heliums

8 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Aberdeen beat Bayern Munich and Real Madrid. What's your point?

If you're seriously trying to equate Rangers winning this with Celtic winning in 1967, where does Rangers being pumped out of Europe's top competition by Malmo at the start of August come in?

I'm not trying to equate it to anything in particular beyond making the point that the European Cup in 1967 was not the same as the Champions League in 2022. Clearly winning the former will always be a bigger achievement given that it's the ultimate prize, but it doesn't mean it was actually harder to win than it would be for Rangers this time around.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not trying to equate it to anything in particular beyond making the point that the European Cup in 1967 was not the same as the Champions League in 2022. Clearly winning the former will always be a bigger achievement given that it's the ultimate prize, but it doesn't mean it was actually harder to win than it would be for Rangers this time around.

I dunno being knocked out of one trophy and having a second one as a backup it could be argued makes it a fair bit easier.

19 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

English's latest piece on the BBC website would give you the boak. So far up Rangers arse these days

I especially liked the bit where he wrote about the uniqueness of reaching the final then immediately going into how Rangers reached the final in 2008.

The Supercup organisation was always quite odd. I get the idea that teams in the UEFA Cup hadn't won anything while teams in the CWC were supposedly trophy-winners, and that UEFA seemed to be guided by that.

But the difference in quality between the UEFA Cup and the CWC every year was massive. The CWC had the odd Big Beast in it, but was generally the weakest of the three tournaments by far, while the UEFA Cup was, in reality, usually the strongest, certainly in terms of depth.

In both the EC and the CWC it wasn't uncommon for teams to have at least a couple of near gimmies along the way. In the UEFA Cup this was much rarer if you wanted to go deep in the tournament.

UEFA cutting it out of the Supercup at the expense of the CWC winners is a weird one, really.

*** ETA - This is not a criticism of the CWC, which I absolutely fucking loved.

Edited by VincentGuerin

20 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The opposite of the thread title this but this morning I did enjoy the main broadcast news services coming out with "a remarkable story considering they were liquidated and had to start again." 

Quite enjoyed hearing Archie McPherson on the radio yesterday clarify that The Rangers first game was against Brechin 10 years ago.

26 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Quite enjoyed hearing Archie McPherson on the radio yesterday clarify that The Rangers first game was against Brechin 10 years ago.

The days before the same club myth started

“The new Rangers started life outside the top flight of Scottish football with a victory over Brechin City - but only after extra time at Glebe Park.”

“Receipt of a Scottish Football Association membership, albeit temporary because of continuing negotiations over conditions of entry, had gone to the wire on Friday.

It meant that their first signings - former Hearts midfielder Ian Black and returning forward Little - had to be listed as trialists“

19 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I realise the cup final takes precendence as a newsworthy item, but does the St Johnstone v ICT play off final, kicking off in an hour, really less important than a Rangers kitman's funeral?

image.png.8d958fe367b7f1e0efc26607a5617116.png

It’s not even newsworthy 

The other night after the game Tom English was saying RFC deserve a trophy this season… Richard Gordon butted in to point out that Hearts also deserve a trophy

11 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

It’s not even newsworthy 

The other night after the game Tom English was saying RFC deserve a trophy this season… Richard Gordon butted in to point out that Hearts also deserve a trophy

Neither deserve them yet.   One will tomorrow though. 

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

It’s not even newsworthy 

I was surprised Gordon ended up with the PR job at Cove, his tongue has always so far up Hearts hoop I was convinced he was going there.