The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

First time I've seen this version of the story. Good-natured Rangers fans (oxymoron) in joyful mood brutalised by Franco's  panic-stricken stormtroopers.

Rangers were given a two-year European ban – later reduced to one year – because of their fans’ behaviour. Was it deserved? Well, there was certainly some drunkenness but when we arrived the atmosphere in the city had been a happy carnival one. And there were no pitched battles with rival fans because there were none there to fight with. It was the sudden, panic-stricken actions of the police that was the main cause of the battle and that certainly did not justify a ban that meant Rangers could not defend the trophy they had played their hearts out to win.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/may/15/camp-nou-glory-remembering-rangers-1972-european-triumph

15 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

First time I've seen this version of the story. Good-natured Rangers fans (oxymoron) in joyful mood brutalised by Franco's  panic-stricken stormtroopers.

Rangers were given a two-year European ban – later reduced to one year – because of their fans’ behaviour. Was it deserved? Well, there was certainly some drunkenness but when we arrived the atmosphere in the city had been a happy carnival one. And there were no pitched battles with rival fans because there were none there to fight with. It was the sudden, panic-stricken actions of the police that was the main cause of the battle and that certainly did not justify a ban that meant Rangers could not defend the trophy they had played their hearts out to win.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/may/15/camp-nou-glory-remembering-rangers-1972-european-triumph

That's never stopped them before, they usually fight amongst themselves, just look back to last season when they won the league and stopped 10iar, pictures and videos posted on here of them fighting one another in the streets of Glasgow. Small minority of course. Sevco fans spewing up and soiling themselves too, yeah Seville is in for a right treat.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

On 14/05/2022 at 23:08, Jacky1990 said:

Or Craig simply couldn't br arsed with the tedium of going back to the points of a court case just to satisfy your weird obsession from two years ago.

Move the f**k on man. You'll be happier for it.

So still **** all to justify why Scottish football, almost alone, couldn't complete the season. 

22 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

So still **** all to justify why Scottish football, almost alone, couldn't complete the season. 

I mean, it was pretty poor. But ultimately, we're absolutely fine.

We've cruised to third, we're off to Hampden on Saturday, we'll be watching our team play in Europe at least right up until Santa's getting ready to do his stuff.

What did we lose? A closed-door season that will be memorable to pretty much nobody?

The best revenge is living well, and Hearts have responded to what happened in the best possible way.

9 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I mean, it was pretty poor. But ultimately, we're absolutely fine.

We've cruised to third, we're off to Hampden on Saturday, we'll be watching our team play in Europe at least right up until Santa's getting ready to do his stuff.

What did we lose? A closed-door season that will be memorable to pretty much nobody?

The best revenge is living well, and Hearts have responded to what happened in the best possible way.

Aye we are fine. We used the shambles Scottish football created to get stronger. Doesn't change the fact it was an absolute shambles.

Hope there is no trouble but can't see Rangers fans not embarrassing themselves. I hope they get absolutely pumped as they're a club that have spent as long as anyone can remember pushing bigotry and trying to profit from it, they also have a very large proportion of bigots in their support.

Playing top flight football matches wasn't permitted in Scotland until mid-July (and lower league matches until September) and the season had to be completed by the end of July to comply with UEFA.

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Hope there is no trouble but can't see Rangers fans not embarrassing themselves.

It'll be nearly 40 degrees, they'll have been drinking for days and their fanbase is congenitally furious. With those ingredients, you'd imagine it's a certainty.

Edited by Mr Heliums

6 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I see they are trying to direct Rangers fans without tickets to watch the game on big screens inside one of the other stadiums, which theoretically will be about four miles from the nearest German, and nicely isolated away from the city centre, so it may be Shangri-La after all.

UEFA fan leaflet

Like herding twats

On the radio this morning some were saying that if The Rangers were to win this, it would be the greatest achievement of a Scottish club in Europe. Then they went on to say that although Celtic fans may disagree, it was a more level playing field back in '67.

Completely ignoring anything to do with Aberdeen already winning the same competition, and the Super Cup. 

It just really fucked me off more than it should have done.

Celtic have won the more prestigious tournament.

Aberdeen (A smaller club) have won the same tournament, plus the Super Cup.

But these wallopers, jumping on board the The Rangers love in, think that this is the greatest achievement.

f**k off.

I hope they get pumped.

5 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

On the radio this morning some were saying that if The Rangers were to win this, it would be the greatest achievement of a Scottish club in Europe. Then they went on to say that although Celtic fans may disagree, it was a more level playing field back in '67.

Completely ignoring anything to do with Aberdeen already winning the same competition, and the Super Cup. 

But these wallopers, jumping on board the The Rangers love in, think that this is the greatest achievement.

f**k off.

I hope they get pumped.

In fairness, they would be the youngest club to win a Euro Trophy.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

f**k off.

I hope they get pumped.

It's not the same tournament though as if it were, Rangers would have been out already seeing as they were beaten over two legs by Lyon.

15 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

f**k off.

I hope they get pumped.

Aberdeen won the Cup Winners' Cup. No Scottish club has ever won the UEFA Cup/Europa League.

24 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

On the radio this morning some were saying that if The Rangers were to win this, it would be the greatest achievement of a Scottish club in Europe.

Wonder what next year's strip will look like.

61xYTuBt1yL._AC_SL1425_.jpg