The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

Better reply than I expected.. ;)

I'm not worked up, just stating how I saw it. I think quite a few would agree we me too. There was one point, and for the life of me I forget exactly the topic, but someone had posted something "out there" on KickBack, I mean fine.. that's what forums are for, no problems with that, but then Deans tweets it, then English picks it up, and next he's on Radio Scotland putting the point forward. IIRC it was Richard Gordon that went, "but surely that can't happen because of A, B, C" and English just doubled down. He had no information, just a Deans tweet of a forum post. That's why I said he wasn't being objective.

Are you sure you want to dredge it all up again, I'm sure there is a forum thread dedicated to every aspect. I'll be honest, I've put most of what happened that season into my brain's recycle bin (well, apart from Obika's goal.. :D).

Also, “better reply than I expected” does you no favours whatsoever btw. The sort of condescending bullshit that is trotted out by people who have to try and convince themselves they are being fair and right, when it is obvious they are just being partisan and smug.

5 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

I don't want to dredge it all up again, but i really don't know what her ridiculous claims are. 

I don't blame people trying to bury the absolute shitshow Scottish football made of the pandemic.

Yeah, listen, I appreciate how frustrating it is to call someone out and they can't answer directly. I wish I could give you a detailed list, but I can't. It was lots of small things that kept adding up. Her public position that Scotland should have less clubs was suddenly in opposition to her claim the league should expand just to accommodate Hearts is an easy thing to pick up.

It's not like I'm saying she was always wrong, she wasn't. I also feel a lot of criticism came her way because she's a woman, rather than what she was saying. Which was disappointing.

I'm happy to move the subject back to English though, in the same way I did with Kyle's reply.

2 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Also, “better reply than I expected” does you no favours whatsoever btw. The sort of condescending bullshit that is trotted out by people who have to try and convince themselves they are being fair and right, when it is obvious they are just being partisan and smug.

No, no.. it wasn't a dig.

I was laughing that you didn't just tell me to f**k off. :lol:

Maybe my comment was lost in translation a little.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Sure, more than happy to move the topic back to English. Do you think he is still that sort of non-partisan figure? He seems to have "fallen into rank" with the Scottish journos in bigging up the OF at any opportunity. That's my main issue with the lad. I don't see him arguing with either OF, unless he has an option of a clickbait tweet/article.

Are you aware of the article he wrote about Hearts years ago when one of our supporters ran on to the pitch to confront Riordan? He is definitely not some sort of Hearts suck up. The man calls it as he sees it, and even though that sometimes puts my club in a bad light, I respect him for having the baws to not just toe the line.

Just now, Ric said:

No, no.. it wasn't a dig.

I was laughing that you didn't just tell me to f**k off. :lol:

Maybe my comment was lost in translation a little.

Fair enough. I did take that the wrong way, I think. 👍

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yeah, listen, I appreciate how frustrating it is to call someone out and they can't answer directly. I wish I could give you a detailed list, but I can't. It was lots of small things that kept adding up. Her public position that Scotland should have less clubs was suddenly in opposition to her claim the league should expand just to accommodate Hearts is an easy thing to pick up.

It's not like I'm saying she was always wrong, she wasn't. I also feel a lot of criticism came her way because she's a woman, rather than what she was saying. Which was disappointing.

I'm happy to move the subject back to English though, in the same way I did with Kyle's reply.

She never said Scotland should have less clubs. She has (quite rightly in my opinion) stated that we have too many clubs in the professional set up. This does quite nicely bring us back to the topic of the thread though, because her words were twisted by… well… shite journalism.

4 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

She never said Scotland should have less clubs. She has (quite rightly in my opinion) stated that we have too many clubs in the professional set up. This does quite nicely bring us back to the topic of the thread though, because her words were twisted by… well… shite journalism.

Yes, less professional clubs in the setup, and a reduced league, until she needed the league expanded. I get it, she was painted nto a corner because of the situation she/the club found herself/itself in, and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

To square the circle, though, I also agree that shit journalists likely misquoted her on a regular basis.

Edited by Ric

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

f**k me, Team Tynie Tantrum re-releasing the summer 2020 back catalogue here.

Enjoy the Championship, mate. Although I will definitely miss the “Double Whining St Johnstone” thread. 😄

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

f**k me, Team Tynie Tantrum re-releasing the summer 2020 back catalogue here.

If I was a Hearts fan I would be questioning how the f**k a team with one of the highest budgets in the league had managed to be bottom in the first place rather pointing the finger at anyone else really. Budge was so bad at running a club I don’t think anyone would really want her opinion as to how Scottish football should be structured.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

If I was a Hearts fan I would be questioning how the f**k a team with one of the highest budgets in the league had managed to be bottom in the first place rather pointing the finger at anyone else really. Budge was so bad at running a club I don’t think anyone would really want her opinion as to how Scottish football should be structured.

Hearts were shit.

Doesn't change the fact Scottish football made an absolute c**t of the pandemic, with barely hidden dodgy deals.

Just now, Austin McCann said:

Hearts were shit.

Doesn't change the fact Scottish football made an absolute c**t of the pandemic, with barely hidden dodgy deals.

There was no right decision really was there though. Other leagues in Europe called early as well. Yourselves and the orcs made many strange claims that never really came to fruition really.

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

There was no right decision really was there though. Other leagues in Europe called early as well. Yourselves and the orcs made many strange claims that never really came to fruition really.

What strange claims?

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Calm yourself, mate. Your 8.75 in a row is sealed in the history books now. Nobody can take it away from you. Relax and be frosty. ☺️

Edited by Kyle Reese

Just now, Kyle Reese said:

Calm yourself, mate. Your 9.75 in a row is sealed in the history books now. Nobody can take it away from you. Relax and be frosty. ☺️

How many?