The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

17 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61420310

Apparently Ange is a magician who has caused a seismic shift in Celtic's fortunes. Ffs.

This whole Ange w**k-off is hilarious.

A real seismic shift for the team who have won 9 out the last 10 titles and have the biggest budget to win the league 🙈.

Get Russell Crowe on the blower, there's an epic story being told here that Hollywood is going to love.

I did wonder if it was just me.  It definitely seems to have gone a bit mental with Celtic's celebrations this season.  Aye, winning the league is a good job, as they were poor by their standards last season.  But they were 2nd last season, no 9th.  The idea that Ange (who I like, btw) has done some miracle job by spending £25m* to bring in some really good international players to win the SPFL Premiership is just such a weird take.  

*It doesn't matter if you brought in 30p or £30m in transfers out, you still spent £25m.  Motherwell sold a player for £3m a couple of years back.  We didn't go out and spend £2.7m on a replacement.  That's not how the rest of Scottish football works.

Pat yourselves on the back for a decent enough job.  Great stuff, you've won the league again.  Fireworks outside the ground and ridiculous puff pieces about miracle worker Ange?  Absolute minter.

7 hours ago, Ric said:

Someone unfair I'd have to say to label both of us. Only one person on this thread was trolling about jokes of women being raped. 

Absurd. Quote anything I posted and show where I “trolled” or said anything at all about jokes of women being raped or anything even close to that.

In fact show how I was “trolling” at all. I questioned the use of the word “horrific” to describe a vague news report about some twat making a speech that some other twats said they didn’t like.  That’s it. That’s what I said.

And If you have some link showing exactly what was said at the speech please share it. I don’t even know where this “rape joke” reference you keep banging on about is coming from.

7 hours ago, Ric said:

I'll not continue replying to that fucking idiot on this thread, 

No, but you will take time on two consecutive days to go through all my previous posts and attempt to vent all your impotent rage by “downvoting” them…despite me telling you I don’t care the slightest about upvote/downvotes. That is a bit mental.

7 hours ago, Ric said:

if people are somehow annoyed that I did so, seriously go f**k yourselves. The problem here is not that I am somehow boring others, the problem is that others haven't shown the same level of disdain for the p***k.

And here is the crux. I jokingly went along with your accusations of my ego and insecurity, but you have been ALL OVER this thread,  virtue signaling up a storm before I even chimed in with my question about a word a guy used.

You have angrily directed multiple insults towards me and for what reason? Simply put you are raging because not all of society goes along with your notion that what matters most in contentious issues is who is the most performatively upset about it. Impulsively kow-towing to the people who shriek the loudest about how upset they are is not good for society …and before you lose your head, this is just my common-pleb-know-nothing opinion.

You are upset because even though the vast majority of people on here seemingly agree with you, not everyone has.  It is a somewhat totalitarian mindset.
The fact that this has incensed you so much should cause you to take a good look at yourself and how you communicate.

Edited by Luddite

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Oh good, I was worried this debate had fizzled out 

It has, or at least with me. Clearly the fanny doesn't realise they are on ignore.

1447761376_Screenshot2022-05-13at14-52-57IgnoredUsers-ThePieShop.png.33328b8acb663c944be4de3d9ff1544c.png

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

It has, or at least with me. Clearly the fanny doesn't realise they are on ignore.

1447761376_Screenshot2022-05-13at14-52-57IgnoredUsers-ThePieShop.png.33328b8acb663c944be4de3d9ff1544c.png

Surprised it took him so long. 

I do wonder if at any point he has considered I may not be the gender, race or sexual orientation he has chosen for me while casting me as an evil “other” in his moral quest to fight for minority groups.

Edited by Luddite

10 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Tom English on Twitter at least comes across as some red top journalists trying to be edgy looking for some click 

At one point, 8 of the 10 promoted articles on the BBC Scotland football section were Tom English puff pieces. He'd be a lot less annoying if he wasn't used so ubiquitously by the BBC.

19 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61420310

Apparently Ange is a magician who has caused a seismic shift in Celtic's fortunes. Ffs.

This whole Ange w**k-off is hilarious.

A real seismic shift for the team who have won 9 out the last 10 titles and have the biggest budget to win the league 🙈.

Get Russell Crowe on the blower, there's an epic story being told here that Hollywood is going to love.

He'll recruit with the Champions League in mind. Quality over quantity, you suspect. His team played 14 games in Europe last season and won only five, conceding 28 goals in the process.

They're better now, but to make a mark on Europe, they're going to have find a way to convince UEFA to allow them to use Scottish referees. Challenges, challenges. They're in a position of strength to meet them

57 minutes ago, Ric said:

At one point, 8 of the 10 promoted articles on the BBC Scotland football section were Tom English puff pieces. He'd be a lot less annoying if he wasn't used so ubiquitously by the BBC.

The problem is that the "talent pool" at BBC Sport Scotland has almost no depth.

English jumped from print at the right time - tbf he saw the writing on the wall - and when he arrived at the BBC he seemed like a decent journo, but was given a nice title and licence to basically do what he wanted.

Any credibility he might have had was ripped to shreds after the abbreviated season in 2020 when he kept demanding league reconstruction - he appeared unaware that there was zero chance of this happening, and when he finally twigged what we all knew he kept lashing out like a 4 year old, and at times he verged on defaming people running the SPFL.

That radio interview when Doncaster went on to answer questions was supposed to be his big moment, but it was embarrassing - I dont think he landed one punch on Doncaster.

He wasnt the only person to lose their shit that summer, but most people are not given his platform.

I like Tom English. He was the only one with the baws to go against the party line when Hearts were voted down to the Championship. I’ve not read this thread from the start so apologies if the topic has been raised already.

4 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

I like Tom English. He was the only one with the baws to go against the party line when Hearts were voted down to the Championship. I’ve not read this thread from the start so apologies if the topic has been raised already.

Absolutely. One of the very few pointing out that Scottish football was in a very, very small minority who couldn't finish the season. The reasons why were a sham and reached through underhand tactics. 

4 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

Absolutely. One of the very few pointing out that Scottish football was in a very, very small minority who couldn't finish the season. The reasons why were a sham and reached through underhand tactics. 

Yeah. Good on him, I say. I always like the fish that try and swim against the flow of sewage in the polluted river that is Scottish football. Far better than all the wee lickspittle jobbies merrily bobbing along with the flow.

14 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

5 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

There is a difference between being an investigative journalist, and perhaps playing Devil's Advocate, and him literally swallowing Budges sheer bullshit in spades. English wasn't objective through that whole process, not even slightly objective.

Was it a shit situation? Yes. Was it made worse by Budge's tantrums and ridiculous claims followed by legal action? Yes.

I understand from a Hearts point of view you felt ripped off and saw someone in your corner favourably, but it wasn't journalism English was doing, it was propaganda.

15 minutes ago, Ric said:

There is a difference between being an investigative journalist, and perhaps playing Devil's Advocate, and him literally swallowing Budges sheer bullshit in spades. English wasn't objective through that whole process, not even slightly objective.

Was it a shit situation? Yes. Was it made worse by Budge's tantrums and ridiculous claims followed by legal action? Yes.

I understand from a Hearts point of view you felt ripped off and saw someone in your corner favourably, but it wasn't journalism English was doing, it was propaganda.

Calm down Ric, I understand you will see things differently, but there is no need to get all worked up about it. I respect him for not swallowing the Lawwell sewage tsunami. The rest of his peers just all lined up under Peter’s desk as he gave his rousing speech.

Edited by Kyle Reese

11 minutes ago, Ric said:

What were Budges ridiculous claims?

14 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Calm down Ric, I understand you will see things differently, but there is no need to get all worked up about it. I respect him for not swallowing the Lawwell sewage tsunami. The rest of his peers had all lined up up under Peter’s desk as he gave his rousing speech.

Better reply than I expected.. ;)

I'm not worked up, just stating how I saw it. I think quite a few would agree we me too. There was one point, and for the life of me I forget exactly the topic, but someone had posted something "out there" on KickBack, I mean fine.. that's what forums are for, no problems with that, but then Deans tweets it, then English picks it up, and next he's on Radio Scotland putting the point forward. IIRC it was Richard Gordon that went, "but surely that can't happen because of A, B, C" and English just doubled down. He had no information, just a Deans tweet of a forum post. That's why I said he wasn't being objective.

9 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

What were Budges ridiculous claims?

Are you sure you want to dredge it all up again, I'm sure there is a forum thread dedicated to every aspect. I'll be honest, I've put most of what happened that season into my brain's recycle bin (well, apart from Obika's goal.. :D).

Edited by Ric

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Are you sure you want to dredge it all up again, I'm sure there is a forum thread dedicated to every aspect.

I don't want to dredge it all up again, but i really don't know what her ridiculous claims are. 

I don't blame people trying to bury the absolute shitshow Scottish football made of the pandemic.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Better reply than I expected.. ;)

I'm not worked up, just stating how I saw it. I think quite a few would agree we me too. There was one point, and for the life I forget exactly the topic, but someone had posted something "out there" on KickBack, I mean fine.. that's what forums are for, no problems with that, but then Deans tweets it, then English picks it up, and next he's on Radio Scotland putting the point forward. IIRC it was Richard Gordon that went, "but surely that can't happen because of A, B, C" and English just doubled down. He had no information, just a Deans tweet of a forum post. That's why I said he wasn't being objective.

Are you sure you want to dredge it all up again, I'm sure there is a forum thread dedicated to every aspect.

I missed that particular episode, Ric. Sorry.

What I do remember was a number of club officials and board members lining up to make smug comments about medicine or the time for change, and English just casually debunking each and every one with consummate ease.

Anyway, my comment was not about whether the vote on ending the season was the correct one, or not. It was about Tom English and the respect I have for him for not just crawling around on all fours in front of Peter Lawwell, like all his colleagues did. He recognised the injustice of what was unfolding and chose to state as much, when others were more concerned with sticking the boot in, or not losing favour with the ten in a row candidates.

Just now, Kyle Reese said:

It was about Tom English and the respect I have for him for not just crawling around on all fours in front of Peter Lawwell, like all his colleagues did. He recognised the injustice of what was unfolding and chose to state as much, when others were more concerned with sticking the boot in, or not losing favour with the ten in a row candidates.

Sure, more than happy to move the topic back to English. Do you think he is still that sort of non-partisan figure? He seems to have "fallen into rank" with the Scottish journos in bigging up the OF at any opportunity. That's my main issue with the lad. I don't see him arguing with either OF, unless he has an option of a clickbait tweet/article.