The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Obviously not, don’t know why you felt the need to single that comment out.
Usually award ceremonies are filmed by the organisers themselves, with snippets of the night put out on social media or from people attending since we all have a camera in our pocket these days.  

The organisers have done exactly that on their own Twitter account, and there have been loads of photos from attendees on social media.

Your post made it sound like it was some sort of cloak and dagger event not fit for outside prying eyes.

1 minute ago, Lofarl said:

Well I’m still blaming Tam Cowan despite all the evidence to the contrary.

He does come across as the sort of guy who would endorse such jokes at the expense of others 

You hear him moaning all the time on OTB about “getting jailed” for telling jokes these days 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Who would have thought an old white bloke, with a stiffy for all things Rangers, would deliver an after dinner speech that doesn't reflect modern culture.

Perfect for a large part of the journo audience of course, many still live in that world, the rest of us have moved on and I applaud Barbour, Bennett and others for calling this sort of shit out.

As for Spiers, he may be right regarding his non-attendance, but part of me thinks it was nothing to do with the content and all to do with Spiers not getting the attention he thinks he deserves, and is now able to play the virtue signalling card.

Cheers Ric.

17 minutes ago, bennett said:

Cheers Ric.

Is your first name Gabriella? ;)

I mean, cool if it is...

13 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

At no point anywhere on twitter or anywhere can i find what he actually said to cause people to walk out? 

For obvious reasons. You do, however, know the subjects involved; racism and misogyny.

Looking at the statement from SFWA, it's a bit weak, perhaps they are concerned about any legal/civil action by giving it the boilerplate "we are sorry if anyone was offended", although it stops considerably short of accepting the content was offensive.  Yet if it wasn't offensive why are they now doing a review of the material? What's more this is not Copeland's first turn at this, he apparently spoke there in 2018 too. It would be somewhat uncomfortable for them should a recording of that talk surface, and it contained him doing similar.

For obvious reasons. You do, however, know the subjects involved; racism and misogyny.

Looking at the statement from SFWA, it's a bit weak, perhaps they are concerned about any legal/civil action by giving it the boilerplate "we are sorry if anyone was offended", although it stops considerably short of accepting the content was offensive.  Yet if it wasn't offensive why are they now doing a review of the material? What's more this is not Copeland's first turn at this, he apparently spoke there in 2018 too. It would be somewhat uncomfortable for them should a recording of that talk surface, and it contained him doing similar.

Amazing that at a journalism do of all places, it appears to be hush hush and no one recorded anything of note…..[emoji3]

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Amazing that at a journalism do of all places, it appears to be hush hush and no one recorded anything of note…..emoji3.png

You feel if you have footage of yourself laughing along with racist jokes, you might not want to share it.. ;)

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Amazing that at a journalism do of all places, it appears to be hush hush and no one recorded anything of note…..emoji3.png

Wouldn't have predicted this, but the Mail has just published a fair bit more detail, including some of the offending lines: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10797217/Guests-walk-Scottish-Football-awards-ceremony-sexist-racist-homophobic-jokes.html

Are folk doubting that it was offensive shit said? Multiple people walked out. Are we to believe they were all being unreasonable?

Or do you 'need to see the comments for yourself'?

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
30 minutes ago, Binos said:
The death knell of the sprtsmans dinner starts here

Maybe the 1980s throwback version with the same auld duffers going round and round in circles trotting out the same played out anecdotes...

New version to finish dinner before speakers

42 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Are folk doubting that it was offensive shit said? Multiple people walked out. Are we to believe they were all being unreasonable?

I don't think wanting to know what was said, implies doubt about it happening at all.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't think wanting to know what was said, implies doubt about it happening at all.

Aye, I’m not sure it’s much of a negative to want to make an informed opinion before jumping in two footed. 

I’ve no reason to doubt them but I’ve avoided making any comment here without knowing a word of what was said. 

The death knell of the sprtsmans dinner starts here

First of all, this was not a sportsman's dinner, it was a professional awards ceremony. The audiences are different and any good speaker would realise that (though in this case it seems as though the material was offensive regardless of who it was for).

Secondly, it is entirely possible to give after dinner speeches without racist, sexist or homophobic jokes. Lots of really good speakers manage it, and doing it in the context of football should be an absolute home run for a speaker because it provides so much easy material.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Personally, I don’t believe anything until I’ve read it on Twitter.