The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

No idea.

But I’m sure I heard Tam Cowan say he was attending this event the other day 

Edit: Actually I’m sure Cowan said it was Alex Ferguson 

I attended an event Tam Cowan spoke at a few years back. He was the first name i thought of here, as he is very much like that, which won't surprise anyone. 

Noticed Ferguson was there. He's 80, but surely still savvy enough to avoid getting himself into bother in a setting like that. 

Ferguson is there but I don't think it was him or Cowan. Not going to give the name without evidence, but I think it was someone off the standard after-dinner speaker circuit, not sure he's even connected to football.

No idea if there were events prior to that too, but sounds like at least two tables got up and left during his routine.

I might be totally wrong here - but was this not a dinner where woman were only "allowed" relatively recently?

I have been a couple of them as a guest a few years back and I seem to remember that they were men only (or maybe that was because there were practically no woman sportswriters at the time).

SWFA:-

President – Lindsay Herron (Scottish Daily Express)

Secretary – Scott McDermott (Sunday Mail)

Dinner Secretary - Gareth Law (The Scottish Sun)

I for one am absolutely shocked that employees of such forward thinking newspapers would book a speaker who would cause offence to women and minorities...

Edited by CoF

10 minutes ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

Jim's got his finger in the pulse here

Screenshot_2022-05-09-11-20-24-64_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

I've noticed a few folk linking this story to Rangers somehow. It's very odd behaviour.

Not to mention comparing racist/sexist/homophobic jokes to jokes about football does little to help or highlight Eilidh's complaints.