The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Not the thread for it, but to go with the topic at hand - I’ve seen a fair few Celtic pointing to their “net spend” for the season to try imply that this is some miraculous title win.

Complete gimps missing the point.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s not really a farce. 

Yes, he has a big budget but he’s clearly done an excellent job. I think it undermines genuine complaints to say otherwise. 

i can’t think of any other real standout candidate either. 

No fan of either of the uglies but it has to be said that a Scottish club getting to a major European final is a greater acheivement than Celtic or Rangers winning the Scottish League.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s not really a farce. 

Yes, he has a big budget but he’s clearly done an excellent job. I think it undermines genuine complaints to say otherwise. 

i can’t think of any other real standout candidate either. 

Arbroath manager excluded , duh !

Considering some people genuinely thought Mark Warburton should have been Manager of the Year for winning the second tier with the second-highest budget in the country, there's bound to be a meltdown if Dick Campbell gets it for finishing second.

He absolutely should, of course.

The Manager of the Year should have done something remarkable.

No, the manager of the year should just be the best manager of the year. There may be years nobody has done anything remarkable. Of course, this season many remarks have been made about the Grant/Hughes double act, perhaps they could share the award.

11 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

No, the manager of the year should just be the best manager of the year. There may be years nobody has done anything remarkable. Of course, this season many remarks have been made about the Grant/Hughes double act, perhaps they could share the award.

Semantics. My point still stands. 

5 hours ago, CoF said:

The Manager of the Year should have done something remarkable. He's clearly done a very good job, recruited well, seems like an interesting guy, good for a soundbite  blah blah -  but what results has he actually achieved that show something special? 

Won the league cup - well done -  beating St Johnstone, Raith Rovers, Hearts and Hibs along the way. Knocked out the Scottish Cup by the only team on their level. 

Any time he's come up against quality they've more or less failed. He's had five cracks at Rangers - beaten them twice. Real Betis at home was arguably the only 'good' European result - otherwise we've got defeats to Bodo/Glimt, AZ Alkmaar, Bayer Leverkusen, away to Real Betis. What's remarkable about any of this? 

If an old firm managers wins this award, given the gulf in finances it needs to be something special- an unbeaten league season fair enough, a treble winning season.... fine. But this?

When there's a genuinely remarkable and unexpected story been told over at Arbroath - where they aim for survival and every point is truly earned, I do think it's a farce that Ange Postecoglou won both this and the PFA award over Dick Campbell. Utterly, utterly mind boggling. 

3 cracks at Livi-beaten us once.

And Livi.👍

Fully deserves his MoTY award for finally being able to beat us imvho.

47 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

3 cracks at Livi-beaten us once.

And Livi.👍

Fully deserves his MoTY award for finally being able to beat us imvho.

Fair points. 

No fan of either of the uglies but it has to be said that a Scottish club getting to a major European final is a greater acheivement than Celtic or Rangers winning the Scottish League.

Might be wrong but I thought it was just awarded on games played in domestic football? That’s a whole other discussion in itself though.

The Manager of the Year should have done something remarkable. He's clearly done a very good job, recruited well, seems like an interesting guy, good for a soundbite  blah blah -  but what results has he actually achieved that show something special? 
Won the league cup - well done -  beating St Johnstone, Raith Rovers, Hearts and Hibs along the way. Knocked out the Scottish Cup by the only team on their level. 
Any time he's come up against quality they've more or less failed. He's had five cracks at Rangers - beaten them twice. Real Betis at home was arguably the only 'good' European result - otherwise we've got defeats to Bodo/Glimt, AZ Alkmaar, Bayer Leverkusen, away to Real Betis. What's remarkable about any of this? 
If an old firm managers wins this award, given the gulf in finances it needs to be something special- an unbeaten league season fair enough, a treble winning season.... fine. But this?
When there's a genuinely remarkable and unexpected story been told over at Arbroath - where they aim for survival and every point is truly earned, I do think it's a farce that Ange Postecoglou won both this and the PFA award over Dick Campbell. Utterly, utterly mind boggling. 

Absolutely spot on…..

23 minutes ago, Gallo24 said:

Might be wrong but I thought it was just awarded on games played in domestic football? That’s a whole other discussion in itself though.

Why would that be the case ?

12 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

One of the replies seems to indicate a few folk walked out after some of the jokes made by a guest speaker. Any idea who that was?

No idea.

But I’m sure I heard Tam Cowan say he was attending this event the other day 

Edit: Actually I’m sure Cowan said it was Alex Ferguson 

Edited by Clown Job