The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

8 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61319260

image.thumb.png.1ab73918a90be198429bc3bb85c7caa0.png 

Doesnt he know that they reached the final in 2008 and had a semi final en route ?

IIRC the second leg in 2008 was away from home, so technically you could argue that the chance to get the job done at Ibrox is bigger than that.

It's Tom English though, so f**k him.

IIRC the second leg in 2008 was away from home, so technically you could argue that the chance to get the job done at Ibrox is bigger than that.
It's Tom English though, so f**k him.

It's not even technically, it's very clearly the case. The first leg against Fiorentina was nowhere near as big a game as this one purely because it was the first leg.

On 02/05/2022 at 08:26, Nightmare said:

If you want accurate Scottish fixtures, results, lineups etc, use something like Flashscore or LiveScore instead.

The BBC Sport section is a binfire.

It was most amusing to see the BBC Sport section suddenly give a shit about the lower leagues about a decade ago. Suddenly matches were getting proper reports, teams had detail on their own dedicated pages...marvellous stuff.

Then, three or four years later, all of that dried up. Not sure what happened. Cutbacks, most likely. Shame.

By "amusing" and "marvellous", of course I mean "infuriating" and "minimum expected standard".

According to Rahman on STV news, teams from the big 5 leagues buy success with huge budgets, Rangers work on a fraction of what the others can spend.

This is a fairytale. I'm overwhelmed with admiration for plucky wee Rangers.

Tom English telling us the Celtic manager had a fiendishly difficult job at the start of the season. 

Imagine how tough it is having by far the biggest budget, how on earth did he manage it.

Ange Postecoglou winning the Scottish football writers association manager of the year. 

I was going to type a big post about how that's a farce, but can't be bothered.  We all know why. 

3 minutes ago, CoF said:

Ange Postecoglou winning the Scottish football writers association manager of the year. 

I was going to type a big post about how that's a farce, but can't be bothered.  We all know why. 

It’s not really a farce. 

Yes, he has a big budget but he’s clearly done an excellent job. I think it undermines genuine complaints to say otherwise. 

i can’t think of any other real standout candidate either. 

On 06/05/2022 at 12:06, BFTD said:

It was most amusing to see the BBC Sport section suddenly give a shit about the lower leagues about a decade ago. Suddenly matches were getting proper reports, teams had detail on their own dedicated pages...marvellous stuff.

Then, three or four years later, all of that dried up. Not sure what happened. Cutbacks, most likely. Shame.

By "amusing" and "marvellous", of course I mean "infuriating" and "minimum expected standard".

I've had various correspondences with the BBC over their football coverage and, so they tell me, they buy most of it in from freelancers and outside organisations.

So likely it is down to budget cuts.

26 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s not really a farce. 

Yes, he has a big budget but he’s clearly done an excellent job. I think it undermines genuine complaints to say otherwise. 

I think some people have underestimated how good the recruitment has been since he came in

Especially after the clear out we had last year 

He came in relevantly late with no back room staff.

Eddie Howe has been quickly forgotten about because of the job he’s done 

21 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s not really a farce. 

Same old , same old......the latest manager of one half of the Arse Cheeks to spend their huge budget wisely enough to achieve the incredible, miraculous feat of getting his team to finish one place higher than the previous season.

I can think of a few candidates who deserve as much plaudits as Ange.    Pains me to say it, but Robbie Neilson has worked wonders to get Hearts from the Championship to being best of the rest by a country mile, And still a great chance to win the Scottish Cup.

Malky McKay’s achievement in taking Ross County to the brink of qualification for European is , in my opinion , every bit as impressive as yet another league title for Celtic.   As is part-time Arbroath finishing a close second in the Championship , and still a very realistic chance of winning promotion to the top flight.  Easy to make a strong case for Dick Campbell to be manager of the year.

1 minute ago, A96 said:

Same old , same old......the latest manager of one half of the Arse Cheeks to spend their huge budget wisely enough to achieve the incredible, miraculous feat of getting his team to finish one place higher than the previous season.

I can think of a few candidates who deserve as much plaudits as Ange.    Pains me to say it, but Robbie Neilson has worked wonders to get Hearts from the Championship to being best of the rest by a country mile, And still a great chance to win the Scottish Cup.

Malky McKay’s achievement in taking Ross County to the brink of qualification for European is , in my opinion , every bit as impressive as yet another league title for Celtic.   As is part-time Arbroath finishing a close second in the Championship , and still a very realistic chance of winning promotion to the top flight.  Easy to make a strong case for Dick Campbell to be manager of the year.

Fair enough, there are other candidates. Although I’d only really consider dick campbell out of the ones you mentioned there. 

no one needs to convert me on the dull nature of our ‘title race’ here but it’s stupid to call it ‘a farce’ to award it to postecoglou. 

32 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Fair enough, there are other candidates. Although I’d only really consider dick campbell out of the ones you mentioned there. 

no one needs to convert me on the dull nature of our ‘title race’ here but it’s stupid to call it ‘a farce’ to award it to postecoglou. 

Maybe not a farce , but just laziness on the part of whoever votes in these awards to choose the manager of whichever team wins the league.

In my opinion there isn’t really all that much merit in guiding one of them to winning the league .  How many of their managers who racked up league titles have been successful elsewhere without the benefit of a massive financial advantage over their competitors?  .......Brendan Rodgers the only one who comes close, I reckon.

Edited by A96

3 minutes ago, A96 said:

Maybe not a farce , but just laziness on the part of whoever votes in these awards to choose the manager of whichever team wins the league.

In my opinion there isn’t really all that much merit in guiding one of them to winning the league .  How many of their managers who racked up league titles have been successful without the benefit of a massive financial advantage over their competitors?  .......Brendan Rodgers the only one who comes close, I reckon.

If we were talking about a deila or Lennon season I’d agree with you. Also if dick campbell actually won the championship then I’d be on my high horse too. 

But the scale of the rebuild at Celtic was massive and the improvement in a short space of time is clearly the mark of a good manager, in spite of the large budget. They’ve gone from a hilarious shambles to quite an impressive team. 

1 hour ago, CoF said:

He battled against all the odds after inheriting a ragtag team of journeymen and with sheer hard graft he moulded them into a team of winners. 

Seriously though, we had the same complaints last year when a Sevvie won it, folk (especially fitba fans) like to moan.