The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

4 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Given you've said "likely result" you must agree. 

And not every dodgy decision is a last minute one that potentially decides a game one way or the other. 

if the key word is "definitely" then fine, the statement stands. However a contentious last minute penalty, a debatable sending off, goals ruled for off-side at key moments of the game based on erroneous linesman decisions (in Scotland) are highly likely to change the outcome of a game. 

13 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

As we've always suspected, there genuinely are mentalists out there keeping score of decisions against their team.

13 hours ago, AJF said:

The shite journalism aside, It still amazes me how many people think that think if a certain decision went a certain way in a match then that definitely means the result would've changed.

I was making that point in the VAR thread. In general I can't believe how many people cannot grasp the concept. The film Sliding Doors even explained it!

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

As we've always suspected, there genuinely are mentalists out there keeping score of decisions against their team.

I was making that point in the VAR thread. In general I can't believe how many people cannot grasp the concept. The film Sliding Doors even explained it!

This annoys me way more than it really should, the amount of mouth breathers who claim "if we got that pelanty 20 seconds before we scored, we would have been 2-0 up", is utterly astonishing.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Absolute bullshit.  I watched Sliding Doors and there were no penalties in it.

if the key word is "definitely" then fine, the statement stands. However a contentious last minute penalty, a debatable sending off, goals ruled for off-side at key moments of the game based on erroneous linesman decisions (in Scotland) are highly likely to change the outcome of a game. 

This is not what was being said though, is it? This will be including incorrect disallowed goals in the 2nd minute of a 0-0 draw too.

Pretty much any film or TV series featuring time travel explains things too. It's an incredible simple concept that if x does or does not happen, then y will not or will happen, yet football seems to be the only medium where many people can't grasp such a straightforward concept and seemingly insist that football exists in a separate reality.

So, in these cnuts world a penalty being given, rather than erroneously not, would definitely change the result of a game? There's no chance that the keeper saves it or the taker misses the target? There's no chance that, even if scored, it doesn't in fact galvanise the opposition, or inspire their manager to alter shape or tactics to change the course of the game and take something from it?

All the while these articles also conveniently ignore any incidents in the match that should have gone against the team in question and potentially have altered its direction in favour of their opponents.  

Modern day tabloid clickbait headlines around certain teams, and their simpleton readers comments make for grim, bit often hilariously delusional reading. 

On 22/04/2022 at 11:06, The Master said:

I hate these horrible clickbait headlines (this from today's Courier website). It makes it sound like the game is on Sky or something, but there's a super secret way of getting it free.

1607949621_Screenshot2022-04-22at11_04_40.png.c5baa643a29777176c4f978892277bc4.png

A clickbait article that I'm guessing won't be free if you've passed your free allocation for the month on The Courier's website.

Tom English again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61266884

"They got beaten by a piece of class, which is what you might expect from a player, Angelino, who cost more than Rangers' entire starting line-up"

Welcome to how the SPFL Premiership works every single week Tom.......................

5 hours ago, Leith Green said:

"They got beaten by a piece of class, which is what you might expect from a player, Angelino, who cost more than Rangers' entire starting line-up"

I heard that on Radio Scotland this morning - not even the slightest hint of irony in his voice.

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's also a lie. Sevco's starting line up last night (circa £17M) cost more than Angelino (circa £16M).

Please provide proof of all Rangers signing fees,  from official sources.

Edited by bennett