The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

We don't need the split because it's fucking stupid, that to me is a far bigger problem than a winter break. The problem with the break is you can't time it to fit the weather, however the split intentionally and negatively impacts a team's progression across the season.

What should be said is that this year the SPFL is having a break to suit the religious xenophobes in Qatar so they can make a shit ton of money while attempting to sportswash their sins.

Anyway, that wasn't what I was going to post about, just saw it mentioned above. As for the thing I'm posting, it's not really "bad journalism" as such, just laziness and a lack of attention to detail. In the BBC highglights of the goals the ident before the Livi/Aberdeen game is the St Mirren/Hibs ident.

Edited by Ric

18 minutes ago, Ric said:

We don't need the split because it's fucking stupid, that to me is a far bigger problem than a winter break. The problem with the break is you can't time it to fit the weather, however the split intentionally and negatively impacts a team's progression across the season.

What should be said is that this year the SPFL is having a break to suit the religious xenophobes in Qatar so they can make a shit ton of money while attempting to sportswash their sins.

Anyway, that wasn't what I was going to post about, just saw it mentioned above. As for the thing I'm posting, it's not really "bad journalism" as such, just laziness and a lack of attention to detail. In the BBC highglights of the goals the ident before the Livi/Aberdeen game is the St Mirren/Hibs ident.

I think the split works very well, an intensified dog eat dog playoff.

On 04/02/2022 at 15:57, Jacky1990 said:

At what point to you think "maybe I shouldnt tweet this?"

Its one thing thinking Goodwillie is in anyway a victim here, its another thing to post it for the world to see.

What a c**t.

Yes, some thoughts are better left unsaid.

Tweets and e-mails are very dangerous, once sent/posted, they're sent/posted - you cannot unring a bell

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

We don't need a winter break because it's fucking stupid and gives us loads of midweek games in December and February.

we don't know when winter will be in this country

51 minutes ago, ropy said:

I think the split works very well, an intensified dog eat dog playoff.

It artificially creates competition, while undermining competition.

I understand why some like it, but the supporting arguments are more about money (ie: number of games) than it being beneficial to the game.

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

What does this mean? 

Fairly obvious, it stops teams from progressing across (in either direction) the 'top 6 barrier' while intentionally altering the fixtures from 1 or 2 games home/away. This means an lop sided 3 times you play someone, so one team is *always* at an advantage until the fixtures are manipulated to try and resolve that imbalance. It doesn't of course.

The split was specifically introduced to allow the league to expand while not reducing the number of games (9x4 = 36 // (11x3)+5 = 38). It's a financial thing not a sporting thing.

There isn't an argument for the split, other than finances.

Edited by Ric

21 minutes ago, Ric said:

Fairly obvious, it stops teams from progressing across (in either direction) the 'top 6 barrier' while intentionally altering the fixtures from 1 or 2 games home/away. This means an lop sided 3 times you play someone, so one team is *always* at an advantage until the fixtures are manipulated to try and resolve that imbalance. It doesn't of course.

The split was specifically introduced to allow the league to expand while not reducing the number of games (9x4 = 36 // (11x3)+5 = 38). It's a financial thing not a sporting thing.

What about the argument that it gives us more exciting fixtures at the end of the season? Which it does.

The split is good. Your argument strikes me as 'My team missed the top 6 last season and I'm still beelin'.

18 minutes ago, Ric said:

As a self confessed fan of the split, I disagree. It creates competition, but I think that’s a good thing, not a bad thing. Having the sides at the bottom scrap it out against each other in the final days of the season is far better than having them get thumped off Hearts, Rangers and Celtic to see them down. It gives you a lot of big games - which there may be a financial element of, but it’s also exciting from a sporting point of view.

The other point is that we don’t, in a country our size, have much alternative. The options are either:

• Another full round of fixtures after 33 for 44 games, which is a nonsense imo.
  • decrease the size of the league to 10 and play four rounds of fixtures, which would lose you two.
  • increase the size of the league. However, you’d need to have a league of 20 in order to keep the same amount of games without some “lop sided imbalance” in fixtures being home/away. 20 teams would obviously mean that basically every half decent side in the country is in the same division, and would deprive us of the joy of seeing Falkirk in the third tier. 
  • the current system.

I think that the current system is about as decent as we could hope for, although I’d rather 2nd bottom went down automatically and 3rd bottom went into the playoffs. Then replicate that throughout the SPFL. 

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The worst weather (snow basically) is always in February and March, stopping at the start of January is utterly pointless.

This. We are not some snowbound country that languishes in frost bound stasis for weeks on end...we get 'weather'. Some of it bad enough to cause cancellations. 

The split is pointless. If some games need to be called off now and then, call them off ffs.