The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Tom English's latest effort, which topped the BBC Football homepage earlier, is something else. I sometimes wonder if he's got a bet on with a mate to squeeze in at least one obscure word per article – it's genuflected on this occasion. But then I remember it's unlikely he has any friends.

This par is a good example of his bluster – 60 words to say absolutely nothing.

You could say this game was won in five minutes when Hatate scored his first or in 42 minutes when he got his second or on the stroke of half-time when he crossed for Abada to get the third. Or you could say that the game was won before any of that happened, before the players even came into view.

22 minutes ago, Darren said:

Tom English's latest effort, which topped the BBC Football homepage earlier, is something else. I sometimes wonder if he's got a bet on with a mate to squeeze in at least one obscure word per article – it's genuflected on this occasion. But then I remember it's unlikely he has any friends.

This par is a good example of his bluster – 60 words to say absolutely nothing.

You could say this game was won in five minutes when Hatate scored his first or in 42 minutes when he got his second or on the stroke of half-time when he crossed for Abada to get the third. Or you could say that the game was won before any of that happened, before the players even came into view.

I can assure you that Celtic fans, of all ages and literacy levels will understand the word "genuflected". It's one of the first things you learn as a young Catholic (timling?) along with when to stand up, sit, kneel, shake hands and (thanks be to God) leave.

Not one we pick up in Diet school, I defer to your greater knowledge on such matters [emoji4]

First you get down on your knees,
Fiddle with your rosaries,
Bow your head with great respect,
And genuflect, genuflect, genuflect!

Do whatever steps you want if
You have cleared them with the Pontiff.
Everybody say his own
Kyrie eleison,
Doin' the Vatican Rag.

3 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Speirs with his "Won't somebody think of the rapist?" Helen Lovejoy take, there.

He's not entirely wrong, there is a question regarding societal issues and sport, but the lightning rod is not Goodwillie, his case is insignificant in many ways - not to his victim, of course. Spiers comes across as someone who is out of their depth here, trying to be relevant to the issue, but failing to grasp the true nature of the problem.

2 hours ago, Clown Job said:

• Get him to face facts, show genuine remorse and be pro-active in discouraging others from such acts
  • Let him continue delivering parcels
  • Don't let him deliver parcels to women, unless accompanied by a responsible adult
  • By not having rapists
  • (They become pariahs by their very actions)

But - perhaps less flippantly - Ric is correct in his comments above.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Speirs with his "Won't somebody think of the rapist?" Helen Lovejoy take, there.

He's not entirely wrong, there is a question regarding societal issues and sport, but the lightning rod is not Goodwillie, his case is insignificant in many ways - not to his victim, of course. Spiers comes across as someone who is out of their depth here, trying to be relevant to the issue, but failing to grasp the true nature of the problem.

If Goodwillie admits guilt can the criminal case be reactivated, remorse is not the same as guilt but is he stuck because he can’t get redemption without putting himself at risk?  It’s more the point of law I am interested in rather than building a case for the player.

9 minutes ago, ropy said:

If Goodwillie admits guilt can the criminal case be reactivated, remorse is not the same as guilt but is he stuck because he can’t get redemption without putting himself at risk?  It’s more the point of law I am interested in rather than building a case for the player.

Yes, it could result in a renewal of the criminal case. 

Well part of being genuinely contrite is facing the consequences of your actions and paying society back. Goodwillie clearly has no intention of doing so and has spent a decade trying to wriggle out of this.

He's not stuck, he just can't chose the "have cake and eat it" option, and rightly so.

59 minutes ago, ropy said:

My point was more that Speirs is incapable of seeing the wood for the trees. He is trying to seem relevant by tweeting, because, I guess, he feels he 'needs' to because... <insert journalist reasons>, but he just comes across as someone who has read some bullet points and is throwing them into a conversation.

I have to say, although I could be wrong here, I don't remember Speirs championing Goodwillie when he joined Clyde, pressing for mental health support for the man, or a programme of rehabilitation. Maybe he did, I mean it seems odd for him to support the player without having some connection (personal or professional) to him.

47 minutes ago, Ric said:

My point was more that Speirs is incapable of seeing the wood for the trees. He is trying to seem relevant by tweeting, because, I guess, he feels he 'needs' to because... <insert journalist reasons>, but he just comes across as someone who has read some bullet points and is throwing them into a conversation.

I have to say, although I could be wrong here, I don't remember Speirs championing Goodwillie when he joined Clyde, pressing for mental health support for the man, or a programme of rehabilitation. Maybe he did, I mean it seems odd for him to support the player without having some connection (personal or professional) to him.

I don’t understand what the player or the club was thinking, there WAS an outcry when he joined Clyde but it is fair to say the club took the hit and there was now a lid on the story.  I assume there is a posse of opposition fans that have abused him on a weekly basis, but why open the door to a national outrage by putting the story back in the news.

I suspect that Clyde can’t now take him back (in the summer) as the outcry would be the same.  Surely he has fucked it for himself (no pun intended).

12 minutes ago, Desp said:

"coming as perilously close as you can get to being a consenting adult" might just be the absolute fucking worst thing ever written.  

Speirs is an utterly vile man. 

She was just about under age in the football parlance.