The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 23/12/2021 at 21:34, LeodhasXD said:

The only problem I have with the thread is it sounds like bad journalism 'and' separately Tom English to me. I've not got a better suggestion. Starring Tom English maybe.

Yes, that's annoyed me for years.  The title apparently exempts English from the charge of producing bad journalism.

There was actually a time when he maybe deserved an exemption, but I'm sure that wasn't the intention.  He wouldn't deserve it now though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

McInnes.png.5dce41e27a756341d96e2f2b80d7ff16.png

Okay, so the Scotsman headline isn't technically wrong, but 'Failing the second-stage interview for the Rangers gig' surely doesn't belong at the top of the list of Derek McInnes' identifying career landmarks.

:lol:

McInnes.png.5dce41e27a756341d96e2f2b80d7ff16.png
Okay, so the Scotsman headline isn't technically wrong, but 'Failing the second-stage interview for the Rangers gig' surely doesn't belong at the top of the list of Derek McInnes' identifying career landmarks.

I wasn't follow following too closely at the time but didn't McInnes knock back the job rather than failing the second round?
Happy to be corrected.
But yes, poor journalism.

On 23/12/2021 at 11:28, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It would actually be more demeaning to Motherwell to be included on that list which is being used to contrast with the big championship clubs he’s playing now

But it might just be that those are the 4 teams Christie has played the most away fixtures against

He’s only played at Tynecastle 4 times and Easter road 5 times

Under other circumstances I’d be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt but in keeping with the spirit of the thread I think he deserves the most severe punishment available: A Falkirk season ticket

Are those figures just for Celtic, or for the years he spent at Aberdeen and The Caley too?  4 at Tynecastle seems very low given Hearts have only been in the Championship for 2 seasons since he made his debut in 2013 (14-15 and 20-21) and Hibs only 3 years (14-17).  

So he's only played at Tynecastle 4 times in his life despite playing in the Premiership for 8 years (13-21)?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/derek-mcinnes-kilmarnock-five-reasons-25859817.amp

“Aberdeen were very rarely outside of the top four under his stewardship, and he guided them to some second-place finishes when Rangers were out of the top flight.”

I suppose you can argue the very rarely outside the top 4 comment is referring to throughout a season, and not final league placings, but not sure why they’ve erased the two second placed finishes in the league after rangers got promoted. 

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/derek-mcinnes-kilmarnock-five-reasons-25859817.amp

“Aberdeen were very rarely outside of the top four under his stewardship, and he guided them to some second-place finishes when Rangers were out of the top flight.”

I suppose you can argue the very rarely outside the top 4 comment is referring to throughout a season, and not final league placings, but not sure why they’ve erased the two second placed finishes in the league after rangers got promoted. 

Oh! Oh! I know this one!

The Sun running with the headline that Celtic and Rangers will play their games South of the border because of crowd restrictions North of it, is quite a stunning lack of understanding of how International FAs work.

It is The Sun though.

Without being unkind to him, this is written by the local journalist that covers Killie, and Woodward and Bernstein he is not. Definitely a Killie fan rather than anything else though.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Without being unkind to him, this is written by the local journalist that covers Killie, and Woodward and Bernstein he is not. Definitely a Killie fan rather than anything else though.

Fair enough. I probably hold a simmering resentment to the long line of pundits/journalists who say he consistently finished 3rd with us, despite that only happening once in his very first season, below Motherwell. 

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Are those figures just for Celtic, or for the years he spent at Aberdeen and The Caley too?  4 at Tynecastle seems very low given Hearts have only been in the Championship for 2 seasons since he made his debut in 2013 (14-15 and 20-21) and Hibs only 3 years (14-17).  

So he's only played at Tynecastle 4 times in his life despite playing in the Premiership for 8 years (13-21)?

According to Soccerbase, he never played for Caley at Tynie, played twice for Aberdeen in 17/18, and twice for Celtic, one in 19/20 and the game this season. 

Quite surprised at that myself but he did have his injuries I guess.

Tom English making an absolute c**t of himself on twitter in regards to Pattersons transfer fee and and Celtic fans trolling. Rather than put his hands up he’s of course doubled down as per.
You would think he would have learned his lesson from Ann Budge then the Rangers ‘dossier’ to actually do some digging first before casting his opinion.

Being duped by an obvious troll that hardly any Rangers fans took the bait to is rather embarrassing though. He should really take himself away from this sort of stuff being the egotistical moron that he has become.

Edited by gannonball

10 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Fair enough. I probably hold a simmering resentment to the long line of pundits/journalists who say he consistently finished 3rd with us, despite that only happening once in his very first season, below Motherwell. 

I notice that a lot too. He probably over then underachieved in his last few seasons to ensure they weren't finishing 3rd.

12 hours ago, bennett said:

bagdad-bob.jpg

We were only trolling.

8 hours ago, G51 said:

Mad Joe McHugh wrote a whole blog thinking that the FPL value was the transfer value lol

It  all stems from a Rangers fan back in August/September genuinely thinking those fees were real in regards to Edouard and has been a bit of a running joke since. That’s why I’m surprised Tom didn’t pick up on it. No idea who Joe Mchugh is though tbh.

5 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Never fails to amaze me just how thin skinned some journalists are 

You made a mistake, no big deal a simple correction would have done 

But nope, you gotta double down 

But Celtic did take government funds? Every company did. That’s what the furlough scheme was. They didn’t take the loan but there’s no argument that Celtic took government funds, they were perfectly eligible to do so.

The only reason Celtic didn’t take the government loan is because the conditions required them to stop paying directors bonuses, which would have resulted in Lawwell’s pay being cut significantly (and all the other directors wouldn’t be able to cash in either).