The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Pretty sure I remember watching that in the Pittodrie Bar before heading to our match.

Aye, I think you are right.  Just looked at the blootoon TV highlights and there were other cameras in the ground.

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

From what I recall, the new club got higher ranked officials for their games in the fourth tier than other clubs at that level. This continued throughout the 'journey', ensuring less errors being made by inexperienced referees.

Finnie was the ref at our game so not so he may have been "higher ranked" but more than likely also rank.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Willie Collum has refereed at least a couple of our games in the Championship. You probably had plenty of bigger name refs when you were in that league too. The higher profile games get the higher profile referees because they are more used to coping with the pressure.

Aye, that's a polite way of expressing it I suppose, but I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment. In any case, there's a difference between the second and fourth tiers, and if the SFA were favouring certain sides it's no surprise.

Aye, that's a polite way of expressing it I suppose, but I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment. In any case, there's a difference between the second and fourth tiers, and if the SFA were favouring certain sides it's no surprise.

You didn't mention about different tiers the first time, just that they got "higher ranked referees", something which I pointed out was in no way unique to Rangers, but rather any "bigger" team playing at a level below where they usually have.

Their games in Division 3 weren't being regularly refereed by the top referees of the time like Thomson or Collum. It was guys who refereed plenty of lower league games around that time.

https://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=1001&season_id=142

https://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=1033&season_id=142

https://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=1007&season_id=142

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You didn't mention about different tiers the first time, just that they got "higher ranked referees", something which I pointed out was in no way unique to Rangers, but rather any "bigger" team playing at a level below where they usually have.

Their games in Division 3 weren't being regularly refereed by the top referees of the time like Thomson or Collum. It was guys who refereed plenty of lower league games around that time.

https://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=1001&season_id=142

https://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=1033&season_id=142

https://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=1007&season_id=142

Apart from Charleston, the other two, Finnie and Tumilty, were experienced guys who were regulars in the top league, Tumilty had his first SPL (as it was then) game in 2003, Finnie is shown on Soccerbase to have had a top league game in 2006. However, I'm unsure if that is accurate, as Soccerbase information beside being unreliable, only seems to go back to 2006 for referee details in Scotland.

Charleston had a long period out of refereeing, for personal reasons, but had taken charge of top league games by the time he was chosen to officiate in the new club's matches.

Soccerbase also shows they got Bobby Madden twice, John Beaton twice, Alan Muir twice, Steven McLean twice, Willie Collum, Crawford Allan, Kevin Clancy twice, Craig Thompson, and Calum Murray three times in 2012-13 season. Mind you, Soccerbase also shows they played East Stirlingshire twice at Firs Park.

As I showed with the links, Finnie and Tumilty mostly refereed in Division 1 and 2 that season though (the latter had no top flight games at all), the fact that they had previously refereed in the top flight isn't hugely relevant. Madden, Beaton, Muir, Allan and Clancy were all still making their way at that point - you've got to remember this was nearly a decade ago.

There seems to be a misunderstanding amongst football fans that the appointment of referees is supposed to be random, rather than the better ones tending to get the bigger games. The game Collum refereed was a televised game at Hampden, exactly the sort of game you'd expect a bigger name to be taking charge of.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

As I showed with the links, Finnie and Tumilty mostly refereed in Division 1 and 2 that season though (the latter had no top flight games at all), the fact that they had previously refereed in the top flight isn't hugely relevant. Madden, Beaton, Muir, Allan and Clancy were all still making their way at that point - you've got to remember this was nearly a decade ago.

There seems to be a misunderstanding amongst football fans that the appointment of referees is supposed to be random, rather than the better ones tending to get the bigger games. The game Collum refereed was a televised game at Hampden, exactly the sort of game you'd expect a bigger name to be taking charge of.

Take your common sense somewhere else.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

This is getting away from the purpose of the thread, but I must counter you: Tumilty was a solid choice as a Premier referee until 2010, but someone at the SFA decided to keep him away from that level by the time the Ibrox club went out of business. Whether he wasn't one of the 'better ones' is a matter of opinion, if you're using Collum as a solid example as a top referee of the time. Finnie was in charge of seven Premier games in 2012-13, and eight each in the seasons either side: hardly up and coming.

Calum Murray covered 13 Premier matches, and three 'Rangers' games. John Beaton and Alan Muir, "still making their way at that point" according to you, were the referees in 16 games in the top level in 2012-13, while Crawford Allan had 14. Steven McLean had 21 top appointments in 12/13, although I note you have recognised him as one of the 'better' or more experienced whistlers. Bobby Madden, beside being referee for 17 Premier fixtures, also was top official in World Cup and European games in Germany, Spain and Sweden. Kevin Clancy also was referee at a World Cup qualifier in 2012-13: the only bottom tier games he refereed were two involving the Ibrox club.

Tumilty was a good ref in the East of Scotland League, as was Crawford Allan.

It was always interesting to see a ref you remember as up and coming and who you saw doing Vale of Leithen v Edinburgh City end up reffing Hearts v Celtic etc.

Incidentally Crawford Allan has perhaps a unique record in Scottish football:

Just prior to retiring he officiated at a BSC game in the Lowland League at Alloa. One of his assistants was his daughter Vicki, a qualified assistant.