The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Why do you think the reference was removed from the article?

I'd be extremely surprised if it was just because they thought it was a shit reference

Because I think they want to avoid being accused of having an attitude of "they all look the same to me".

Mowgli, though Indian, represented the colonial British/white men. The other animals (wolf pack excepted) represent the native Indian population. The author uses Mowgli as a metaphor for the white man’s dominion over the Indians, by characterising it as man’s dominion over the animals. Kipling was a product of colonialism, and he refers to the Indian ethnic people as “lesser breeds”, in some of his other works, notably “White Man’s Burden”. 

I suppose it comes down to how well read McDermott is, when trying to understand what he was getting at by referring to Van Bronkhorst in this way. Has he read The Jungle Book, or has he watched the Disney Cartoon a few times. I’d suggest it’s a reference to the cartoon character, and not the character from the books. That in it’s self is a bizarre comparison though. Other than skin colour, I don’t see the likeness. 

If you extend the reference to his employer, and the customers he serves, then does that make the Sevco fans the “chattering people”? Or the wolves? Is the red hand symbolic of the “red flower”? That which gives man superiority over the animals. 

There is another possibility of course. Was McDermott maybe just pished when he penned this? 

Edited by Kyle Reese

35 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Mowgli, though Indian, represented the colonial British/white men. The other animals (wolf pack excepted) represent the native Indian population. The author uses Mowgli as a metaphor for the white man’s dominion over the Indians, by characterising it as man’s dominion over the animals. Kipling was a product of colonialism, and he refers to the Indian ethnic people as “lesser breeds”, in some of his other works, notably “White Man’s Burden”. 

I suppose it comes down to how well read McDermott is, when trying to understand what he was getting at by referring to Van Bronkhorst in this way. Has he read The Jungle Book, or has he watched the Disney Cartoon a few times. I’d suggest it’s a reference to the cartoon character, and not the character from the books. That in it’s self is a bizarre comparison though. Other than skin colour, I don’t see the likeness. 

If you extend the reference to his employer, and the customers he serves, then does that make the Sevco fans the “chattering people”? Or the wolves? Is the red hand symbolic of the “red flower”? That which gives man superiority over the animals. 

There is another possibility of course. Was McDermott maybe just pished when he penned this? 

Quite a good post but in reality there isn’t a hope in hell that the journalist knew all this. Just a lazy, clumsy reference would be my bet. 

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Quite a good post but in reality there isn’t a hope in hell that the journalist knew all this. Just a lazy, clumsy reference would be my bet. 

That would suggest Van Bronkhorst’s team mates of the day weren’t sitting around the Ibrox changing room discussing the subtext of 19th century colonial literature, when coining nicknames. I think you’re being pretty disingenuous towards Durant and Gazza there.

On 25/11/2021 at 08:01, Kyle Reese said:

Mowgli, though Indian, represented the colonial British/white men.

Mowgli was based on a real case in India where a 6yo boy was found in an Indian jungle in 1867, about 26 years before The Jungle Book was first published.

I don't doubt the reference in the article is dodgy, but this was my favourite film as a child so plz don't ruin it for me.

Thank you.

ETA: Forgot the link - https://allthatsinteresting.com/dina-sanichar 

Spoiler

Edited by RawB93

7 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

Mowgli was based on a real case in India where a 6yo boy was found in an Indian jungle in 1867, about 26 years before The Jungle Book was first published.

I don't doubt the reference in the article is dodgy, but this was my favourite film as a child so plz don't ruin it for me.

Thank you.

Hide contents

Mowgli may well have been based on a real case of a boy found in the jungle. It’s happened a few times over the centuries, and it happens more commonly between other species excluding humans.

Kipling’s character however (I’ll leave aside the Disney animated movie) is a characterisation of the white man in India. 

Genuinely don’t want to ruin anything for you though. The film is almost unrecognisable from the original books. Nothing particularly bad about the animated movie. Worse racial stereotypes in things like Dumbo. The books on the other hand - It’s pretty glaring.

8 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

Fair enough @Kyle Reese. I haven't read the books and it looks like it shall remain that way and I'll preserve my misty eyed memories. 

I have actually read a fair bit about Kipling being a bit dodgy in line with what you're saying tbf.

Just a product of his time and station in life tbf, mate. Everyone from his time, location, ethnicity and social standing would have been the same, I’d imagine. Thankfully we have moved on a fair bit since then. 👍

(posted by me, with my Rikki Tikki Tavi-style good looks and nice guy image.)

Edited by Kyle Reese

On 19/11/2021 at 10:19, G51 said:

The BBC’s obligation is to serve the interests of the public, which is why they can’t treat Rangers the same as a first division side. Many more people are interested in Rangers than Arbroath. The BBC’s Scottish Sport department throwing a strop because Chris McLaughlin got told he wasn’t getting in to Ibrox doesn’t supersede that.

They have never done this even when Rangers were in the third division.  They are not the only ones guilty of this as we had the privilege of 4th officials being present when Rangers were in the bottom tier.

Its why the two cheeks feel entitled - they are treated as special cases in almost every way.

6 hours ago, strichener said:

They have never done this even when Rangers were in the third division.  They are not the only ones guilty of this as we had the privilege of 4th officials being present when Rangers were in the bottom tier.

Its why the two cheeks feel entitled - they are treated as special cases in almost every way.

I'm not one to defend either cheek but they didn't have "the privilege of 4th officials being present" except when the game was televised. I've seen Challenge Cup and Third Division play off games on Alba, Championship games on the BBC etc and they also have a 4th official. Its so the game can continue if the referee gets injured. There weren't 4th officials at games that weren't televised as far as I remember (and it was discussed heavily at the time).

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I'm not one to defend either cheek but they didn't have "the privilege of 4th officials being present" except when the game was televised. I've seen Challenge Cup and Third Division play off games on Alba, Championship games on the BBC etc and they also have a 4th official. Its so the game can continue if the referee gets injured. There weren't 4th officials at games that weren't televised as far as I remember (and it was discussed heavily at the time).

The first game of their season at Balmoor there was a fourth official.  As far as I am aware it wasn't televised.

From what I recall, the new club got higher ranked officials for their games in the fourth tier than other clubs at that level. This continued throughout the 'journey', ensuring less errors being made by inexperienced referees.

Willie Collum has refereed at least a couple of our games in the Championship. You probably had plenty of bigger name refs when you were in that league too. The higher profile games get the higher profile referees because they are more used to coping with the pressure.