The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

I really am loathe to do this, because it’s such an incredibly tedious argument, but the BBC has an obligation to provide value for money. That’s set out in the BBC charter. 

The only way the BBC can justify paying money for Sportscene etc. and not covering the most widely supported team in the country is if it pays less for those rights. It cannot maintain the same level of funding and then spend that time covering teams with a fraction of the public interest.

I presume you are loath to do it because the argument is patently without merit.

Everything you said there is wrong and if not wrong, is wrongly interpreted. Which is a shame, as while I know you enjoy "the bants" you are not normally so far from the shore.

On 19/11/2021 at 10:43, G51 said:

The chance of industrial action if the BBC started going to Ibrox again is precisely zero. 

To be clear, I don’t care what the BBC do because I don’t consume BBC Scotland’s media. I’m just pointing out that there is no world in which the BBC can give the champions the same level of coverage as a championship team. Telling Chris McLaughlin to f**k off doesn’t break the BBC’s obligations either. 

Wasn't that long ago that they tried to do exactly that.

36 minutes ago, AJF said:

Hmmm, bit suspect this 🤔  “Mowgli style good looks” 

A questionable reference in a number of ways.

Leaving aside the potential racial element of the comment, is mowgli not a young child? 

Ive never heard it suggested that mowgli good looks is a phrase. But its thrown away here as if its a Clooney/Pitt everyday saying. Has anyone ever heard that before?

Honestly, how this stuff goes from thoughts, to typed up, to being kept on review to making it past the editor(s) is beyond me.

4 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

A questionable reference in a number of ways.

Leaving aside the potential racial element of the comment, is mowgli not a young child? 

Ive never heard it suggested that mowgli good looks is a phrase. But its thrown away here as if its a Clooney/Pitt everyday saying. Has anyone ever heard that before?

Honestly, how this stuff goes from thoughts, to typed up, to being kept on review to making it past the editor(s) is beyond me.

I had similar thoughts, I'd never heard of it being used before. I see he has replied to that thread suggesting it was a nickname given to Gio by Rangers fans when he was a player? Maybe some of the older posters on here will know better than me, but first I've heard of it.

The fact it has since been edited out though makes you wonder what is going on. Even if he had heard Rangers fans refer to him as Mowgli in the past, would it really be appropriate to use it here?

I've never heard of GVB being referred to as Mowgli, it was always Gio.

I don't know the motivations that the Record had for that but surely someone on their staff must have felt that wasn't acceptable. 

Edited by bennett
Fat fingers

9 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Is it really that bad to say someone looks like someone?

I think that’s why I’m thinking it’s a bit suspect rather than outright condemning it, it depends really.

In this instance, does an actual human adult in Gio have many resemblances to an animated child character other than his skin tone? Is there enough of a resemblance for folk to go “you know what, he actually reminds me of him”?

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

image.png.1ac1fa7004b37544062d53f30d210b64.pngimage.png.c75c2f93d9258e48c40d74dcf8a00182.png

I'd say it insae a terrible look a like

I think that’s fair, it would be more compelling if Gio looked more like that nowadays, but not entirely unreasonable.

The fact they’ve edited it out of their article now though makes me think they know they’ve been a bit questionable.

50 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Is it really that bad to say someone looks like someone?

This is my thought as well. If someone looks similarish to someone else with a similar skin colour, what is wrong with that? People that want to be offended, will be offended no matter what. (I trust I’m ok to say all that, but who knows?)

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

This is my thought as well. If someone looks similarish to someone else with a similar skin colour, what is wrong with that? People that want to be offended, will be offended no matter what. (I trust I’m ok to say all that, but who knows?)

100% agree with you. Similar thing with people getting all up in arms about the Bernardo Silva - Bernard Mendy (lets not talk about him) thing a couple years ago. But it is a red top rag so you never know.

The bit i find weird about it is "good looks" part when referencing a very young child character. Thats just a strange thing to say about an adult. Could just as easily have said "youthful good looks" or words to that effect rather than saying a 46-year old GvB resembles a "good looking" 10 year old cartoon character. Strange phrase.