The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

4 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

image.png.c54c3bb6ef4499c0cf392691bad344be.png

FFS!! :lol: 

I came on here to post that as well. Not just that though, at about the 2:00 they show a chance that Clark headed over for us, but the following slowed down replay clip is of a different chance. It's bizarre.

I see the "super soaraway" Sun has managed to bag another exclusive, and what an Earth shattering story it is.

Apparently Alex Dyer, who worked with Clarke both at club and international level, is tipping Clarke for success.

A point so asinine, so tedious, so pointless we should congratulate those plucky investigative journalists in uncovering this shocking revelation.

Thank you The Sun, you truly are a beacon in these dark times.

It's just a classic second mention, which is fairly standard for journalism (or any sort of writing). You've already said the name so don't repeat it again and instead use a descriptor of some sort. The alternative might have been "Curaçao midfielder".

13 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

No chance I'm clicking the link, but I can't actually remember the last time I noticed Rangers playing 2 up front. Pretty sure it's been 4-3-3 this season. 

We've not played 2 up top for about 3 years.

Bill Leckie is a fucking irrelevance 

I see the "super soaraway" Sun has managed to bag another exclusive, and what an Earth shattering story it is.
Apparently Alex Dyer, who worked with Clarke both at club and international level, is tipping Clarke for success.
A point so asinine, so tedious, so pointless we should congratulate those plucky investigative journalists in uncovering this shocking revelation.

The "my pal is a great manager" piece has been a tabloid staple since ever. I still remember when we punted Jackie McNamara and the papers were full of his media pals telling us what a terrible mistake it was.

2 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

The "my pal is a great manager" piece has been a tabloid staple since ever. I still remember when we punted Jackie McNamara and the papers were full of his media pals telling us what a terrible mistake it was.

It absolutely is, it's also a staple of almost every single OF story ever printed.

It is some of the laziest journalism out there, and rags like the shitty sun or the rotten record will peddle any old shit just to fill up space.

3 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
On 03/11/2021 at 12:08, Ric said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/partick_thistle/3299025.stm

The absolute pinnacle of the genre, imo.

The Monday morning after the day on which Partick Thistle sacked Gerry Collins, a multi-storey car park in the heart of Glasgow, a down-and-out sits in the corner begging for coins from passers-by. As the now also unemployed football manager walks past, he drops a fiver into the man's cap.

But in a flash the bloke gets up, chases after Collins and forces it back into his hand. "Here, Gerry, you're going to need it more than me."

Even in his darkest hour the big man had to laugh. And that says much for someone who has been so outrageously treated by a board of directors who have acted shamefully.

12 minutes ago, Ric said:

It absolutely is, it's also a staple of almost every single OF story ever printed.

It is some of the laziest journalism out there, and rags like the shitty sun or the rotten record will peddle any old shit just to fill up space.

I remember hearing Chick Young (I know, I know) arguing on the radio why Celtic would be foolish not to hire John Hughes as our next manager 

All I could think was, you’re only saying this because he’s your pal.

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

I remember hearing Chick Young (I know, I know) arguing on the radio why Celtic would be foolish not to hire John Hughes as our next manager 

All I could think was, you’re only saying this because he’s your pal.

Lest we forget Jim Duffy for Scotland 

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

No chance I'm clicking the link, but I can't actually remember the last time I noticed Rangers playing 2 up front. Pretty sure it's been 4-3-3 this season. 

51 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

We've not played 2 up top for about 3 years.

Bill Leckie is a fucking irrelevance 

Even aside from that it’s absolutely bizarre when people claim that certain shapes/formations “just don’t work”, as if every squad of players is the exact same and should only be playing in whatever the flavour of the month formation is.

Not clicking it but it’s no doubt a terrible article all round.

2 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Typical Sun clickbait. 

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That's outstanding!  Not only the pinnacle of the genre - the opening anecdote must have also been a strong contender for the prestigious Didn't Happen Of The Year Award.  

From the Daily Record on Monday:

'Steven Gerrard's team host County at 3pm on Sunday and could go seven clear at the top of the Premiership, depending on how Celtic fare against Dundee in the lunchtime kick-off.'

Because Apparently neither Dundee Utd nor Hearts could possibly win the game they're playing against one another on the same day, and so leapfrog Celtic into second?