The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

During that spell the club was the victim of a sophisticated internet fraud that cost them almost £1m in October 2017.

But their youth policy was responsible for launching the careers of the likes of James McArthur, James McCarthy, Lewis Ferguson, Stephen Hendrie, Greg Docherty, Ziggy Gordon and Scott McMann. Alex Neil and current Newcastle interim manager Graeme Jones also came through the ranks.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7889268/hamilton-accies-takeover-two-parties-buying-championship/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1634938228
Apparently Graeme Jones came through the access ranks at the very young age of 35... 
I thought the terrible journalism there was that it was a sophisticated Internet fraud. Wasn't it reported at the time as just a bit of social engineering?

Ryan Stevenson reckons it was lucky James McPake came up against Robbie Neilson's Hearts instead of Gary Locke's as he'd have put paper clippings of what McPake has said in the past up in the dressing room.

Oooft.

Ryan Stevenson in James McPake swipe as Hearts favourite claims Dundee boss is 'lucky' he faced Robbie Neilson - Mark Pirie - Daily Record

Lazy journalism? Surely not...

JRmdpXm.png

An ex-Rangers player says a current Rangers player is as good as a ex-Rangers player.

Cutting investigative journalism from.. *checks notes* .. The Sun.

Interesting, and relating I suppose to the Needham comments, Grieve, the author of the above article, was directly contacted by Rangers to complain that Grieve had suggested Morelos had tried to con Dallas (officiating). Now that is quite some level of gatekeeping.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Ryan Stevenson reckons it was lucky James McPake came up against Robbie Neilson's Hearts instead of Gary Locke's as he'd have put paper clippings of what McPake has said in the past up in the dressing room.

Oooft.

Ryan Stevenson in James McPake swipe as Hearts favourite claims Dundee boss is 'lucky' he faced Robbie Neilson - Mark Pirie - Daily Record

That’s a legitimately dreadful piece of writing.

Why have they done it as though Ryan Stevenson has written it himself, despite telling us that it’s by Mark Pirie right at the top?

Why does he repeat the score line of the Edinburgh Derby he’s referring to twice in two sentences?

Why does it spend the whole article talking about ‘motivational tactics’ and then just throw this in right at the end…

John Souttar’s goal was sensational and any striker would have been proud. It speaks volumes for his ability and why Hearts are desperate to keep him. 

I genuinely stopped buying the Herald because they are prepared to pay someone, Chris Jack, who is described as 'Lead Rangers Writer' and who churnalises by lightly redrafting Rangers press releases and not covering anything remotely negative. I think Matthew Lindsay does the same kind of mince for Celtic though he isn't quite so blatantly branded.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59043453

Brechin have subsequently been drawn at home to Darvel, the West of Scotland League Premier Division juniors who caused the shock of the second round with a 1-0 win away to League Two's Stranraer. Meanwhile, Monday's second round game between West of Scotland juniors Clydebank and Elgin City ended 1-1

w7mkz6L.gif

Fully appreciate understandable desire to maximise Kirin Cup/Walter Smith angle - but if you're counting it, you're surely counting numerous Home Nations and Rous Cup too...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52611568

Kirin Cup: Scotland's players remember Walter Smith's forgotten 2006 triumph

By Richard Winton

Walter Smith led Scotland to the national team's only trophy at the Kirin Cup in 2006

It was during Walter Smith's stint as national team coach that Scotland headed home from the curious three-team friendly event as the bemused and bleary-eyed winners of the national team's first - and as it stands only - trophy.

"And to win a trophy at the end of it... I know people say it was a Mickey Mouse Cup, but even still." McCulloch concurs. "We're still the only Scottish team to win an international tournament," he says. "It doesn't matter how big or small."

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Fully appreciate understandable desire to maximise Kirin Cup/Walter Smith angle - but if you're counting it, you're surely counting numerous Home Nations and Rous Cup too...

By Richard Winton

Walter Smith led Scotland to the national team's only trophy at the Kirin Cup in 2006

It was during Walter Smith's stint as national team coach that Scotland headed home from the curious three-team friendly event as the bemused and bleary-eyed winners of the national team's first - and as it stands only - trophy.

"And to win a trophy at the end of it... I know people say it was a Mickey Mouse Cup, but even still." McCulloch concurs. "We're still the only Scottish team to win an international tournament," he says. "It doesn't matter how big or small."

"Forgotten." In among all those honours.

Sky Sports News presenter talking over highlights of Motherwell St Mirren earlier - ‘Goalkeeper Jak Alnwick gave away a penalty which Tony Watt dispatched etc etc…’ Not even 10 seconds later he says ‘but Brophys spot kick was saved by Alnwick…’ I can understand a mistake being made if it was the first occasion that Alnwick had been mentioned, but not when you have literally just called the opposing keeper by the same name mere seconds ago. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

By Richard Winton

That article was hurriedly rewritten after WS died. I  remember reading it previously, and it still refers to Lee Miller as Falkirk co-manager. 

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

1 minute ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Graham Speirs calling a racist, sexist, anti-Semitic, homophobic bigot "a thoroughly decent man"

Listened to a podcast recently where a few of his former players were calling him out for being an absolute c**t of a man.

Throw in the misogynistic, racist, homophobic aspects and you'd think he would be ostracised.

Not the good old world of football though, a thoroughly moraless compass of a sport.

6 minutes ago, ol1vercloff said:

Ooft!  That question is just asking someone to answer it and be cancelled 😆🙈

Give people just enough rope to hang themselves and all that….

nah, it is actually a genuine question as I think it’s quite interesting. Is it his persistence with working in football that drives it? 

Obviously you can’t make people like him. I suppose if everyone thinks he has the right to work but just not at my club then he’ll probably end up unwelcome everywhere. 

id never want him at Aberdeen but that’s more because I don’t think he’s very good rather than his actions from years ago. 

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Unpopular but genuine question alert - at what point is malky mackay allowed to move on from those text messages?

From anything I've read of, or from Mackay, since his exposure regarding texts, he's shown hardly a shred of remorse for his actions, and displayed an ignorance of the perception the public hold of him. 

I doubt many people will ever allow him to 'move on', as he doesn't seem to have done so himself.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Give people just enough rope to hang themselves and all that….

nah, it is actually a genuine question as I think it’s quite interesting. Is it his persistence with working in football that drives it? 

Obviously you can’t make people like him. I suppose if everyone thinks he has the right to work but just not at my club then he’ll probably end up unwelcome everywhere. 

id never want him at Aberdeen but that’s more because I don’t think he’s very good rather than his actions from years ago. 

I reckon he could get any job he wanted in Czech Republic, Hungary or these sorts of dark ages European countries.