The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 16/10/2021 at 10:05, williemillersmoustache said:

There were no other melodies available, is a fascinating new argument. Not even the b-side to the unsuccessful Norwegian entry to the 1976 Eurovision Song Contest?

Oh my lovely, lovely gers,

My lovely gers.....

We've got to lose that sax solo!!! 

The Liverpool and Celtic anthem, the Gerry and the Pacemakers classic "You'll Never Walk Alone", has been named as the UK's most popular funeral song, with Rangers' favourite, Tina Turner's "Simply the Best", closely following. (Scottish Sun)

“Scottish football gossip” 

Nothing in particular in my post, more just an all round enjoyment of some English pundits trying to spin the "Scottish football is bad, but Gerrard is good". Flipping from disparaging comments about how he walked to the title with Rangers demonstrating how poor our league is, ignoring the context of course, segueing into a claim that he'd do very well at Newcastle because of his ability to win the league which is suddenly very difficult now they wish to present him as some returning king to English football.

The headline: Rangers: Steven Gerrard 'not confident' about Connor Goldson contract extension

The actual quote: "I am not concerned, I am not confident, I am not really over-thinking about it"

So technically correct, since the words in the headline are in the quote, but also clearly bollocks, since what the headline suggests is not what Gerrard actually said/meant.

The headline: Rangers: Steven Gerrard 'not confident' about Connor Goldson contract extension
The actual quote: "I am not concerned, I am not confident, I am not really over-thinking about it"
So technically correct, since the words in the headline are in the quote, but also clearly bollocks, since what the headline suggests is not what Gerrard actually said/meant.
A textbook case of what P&B refer to as terrible journalism, but will get the person responsible a raise.

During that spell the club was the victim of a sophisticated internet fraud that cost them almost £1m in October 2017.

But their youth policy was responsible for launching the careers of the likes of James McArthur, James McCarthy, Lewis Ferguson, Stephen Hendrie, Greg Docherty, Ziggy Gordon and Scott McMann. Alex Neil and current Newcastle interim manager Graeme Jones also came through the ranks.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7889268/hamilton-accies-takeover-two-parties-buying-championship/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1634938228

Apparently Graeme Jones came through the access ranks at the very young age of 35...