The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

16 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Minus the ’here first’ and ‘our city’ innuendos, you’d probably be able to convince most people of this. It’s a shame you won’t just admit it, I’d have been interested to hear your honest opinion on your club doing this sort of thing through official channel.

Us and Celtic have used “our city” patter for the last f**k knows how long to wind each other up  . It’s a pretty common phrase between two rival clubs from one city  

The “we were here first” I took as a go at the “your deid” patter . 

Most folk on here seem to have selective amnesia when it comes to ever hearing this song despite numerous videos proving it has been sung regularly over the last decade .

I would quite confidently say Four lads had a dream has probably been sung at every away game since our division 3 days. TFS is reduced to some ultras groups singing it under bridges to probably seem “edgy” or wind up the green brigade over the city and I haven’t heard it from the stands in a decade or longer . 

Edited by Forever_blueco

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

One clip, of one stand, from 10 seasons ago, isn't "overwhelming evidence" its the version most commonly sung at away games I'm afraid.

It wasn’t just one clip, of one stand from 10 seasons ago though, was it? It was multiple clips.

Also what’s dodgy about the clip mate? You never answered that part.

If you genuinely believe TFS is sang more than Four Lads then you’re too far gone to argue with.

Edited by AJF

1 minute ago, Forever_blueco said:

Most folk on here seem to have selective amnesia when it comes to ever hearing this song despite numerous videos proving it has been sung regularly over the last decade .

I would quite confidently say Four lads had a dream has probably been sung at every away game since our division 3 days. TFS is reduced to some ultras groups singing it under bridges to probably seem “edgy” and I haven’t heard it from the stands . 

This is absolutely spot on. TFS has largely been relegated to almost nothing whereas Four Lads is constantly belted out. A lot of selective memory going on here, as you say.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

One clip, of one stand, from 10 seasons ago, isn't "overwhelming evidence" its the version most commonly sung at away games I'm afraid.

He posted about 8 clips of it being sung 😂

Is it maybe possible that you have been hearing the tune and just assuming all this time ?

Edited by Forever_blueco

2 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Us and Celtic have used “our city” patter for the last f**k knows how long to wind each other up  . It’s a pretty common phrase between two rival clubs from one city  

The “we were here first” I took as a go at the “your deid” patter . 

I would quite confidently say Four lads had a dream has probably been sung at every away game since our division 3 days. TFS is reduced to some ultras groups singing it under bridges to probably seem “edgy” and I haven’t heard it from the stands . 

Context and timing are everything though, eh. It’s pretty obvious to everyone that this is a reaction to the famine song being under the spotlight recently. The ‘daft laddie’ act is pretty transparent. 

12 minutes ago, AJF said:

It wasn’t just one clip, of one stand from 10 seasons ago though, was it? It was multiple clips.

Also what’s dodgy about the clip mate? You never answered that part.

If you genuinely believe TFS is sang more than Four Lads then you’re too far gone to argue with.

3 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

He posted about 8 clips of it being sung 😂

Is it maybe possible that you have been hearing the tune and just assuming all this time ?

We were discussing it being sung at McDiarmid over the past 10 years. 

Just now, Kyle Reese said:

Context and timing are everything though, eh. It’s pretty obvious to everyone that this is a reaction to the famine song being under the spotlight recently. The ‘daft laddie’ act is pretty transparent. 

Well if that’s your take from it so be it . 

your mind has obviously been made up and any debate is clearly a waste of my time and yours 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It was sung a few weeks ago in Perth

also if it’s just “McDiarnand park” why do you keep mentioning the broader term “away games” 

Edited by Forever_blueco

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Mate, you are seriously at it here. Your point was not pedantic or specific to McDiarmid.

We were only discussing it being sung at McDiarmid over the past 10 years because you tried to use that as an example of it never or rarely being sang at all.

That was your underlying point - that you hadn’t heard it so it must not be common or more popular than TFS. All of that has been complete nonsense.

As I said, you are arguing in bad faith here. I proved your initial claim to be completely wrong yet you’re still going with this whole “it’s not sang regularly” act when it quite clearly is.

It's a minor point but it is quite funny that they chose as the tune for their poignant, commemorative tribute song something equivalent to "she'll be coming round the mountain."

You'd have thought there were resources and creative talent available to get a songwriter in. Unless there were other factors at play......

Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

It's a minor point but it is quite funny that they chose as the tune for their poignant, commemorative tribute song something equivalent to "she'll be coming round the mountain."

You'd have thought there were resources and creative talent available to get a songwriter in. Unless there were other factors at play......

It’s still better than that depressing drone about the old northern lights of Aberdeen to be fair 

7 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Well that kind of brings me back to my earlier questions that nobody has really answered.

Would this have been an issue if the song contained the Four Lads lyrics, rather than it just be an instrumental version of it?

So do you believe Rangers decided to go out and commission someone to record the song after TFS incident last month? Or do you think it is likely the song had already been commissioned and recorded already in preparation for the kit launch?

3 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The thing is though, when you look at the lyrics of the song, then it is abundantly clear why they chose that as the most appropriate song to launch the anniversary kit…

“From Argyll so young, to Glasgow city they'd come.

Seeking fortune and a new way of life. How could they all know, their ambitions would grow.

Such a beautiful story, and here's how it goes.....

Four lads had a dream to start a football team, they had no money no kit not even a ball

They still carried on The Rangers were born

55 titles, we're still going strong”

7 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Yes! What a find 😂 I was not going to go back and watch the St Johnstone match to prove it was sang at McDiarmid only a month ago, so I’m glad you’ve handed his arse to him with this clip.

He will probably claim it is dodgy now.

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

There were no other melodies available, is a fascinating new argument. Not even the b-side to the unsuccessful Norwegian entry to the 1976 Eurovision Song Contest?

Oh my lovely, lovely gers,

My lovely gers.....

Everyone knows that’s actually the successful craggy island Eurovision entry from 1996