The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

I am confused here.

Rangers fans defending this 4 lads song in particular is weird.
No one is having a go at this song. It's the context in which it has been used. Rangers inability(if you believe that shit) to read the room/Rangers blatant nudge nudge wink wink attitude to it is what it being ripped on.

54 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

As I said 

Your “arguments” remind me of that quote.

I could argue that the constant shifting of rhetorical focus between Rangers as an overbearing and all powerful racism machine in charge of the SFA, and of a club that is weak and on the eternal brink of administration by certain Celtic fans and fan based media is reminiscent of Umberto Eco’s work, but I’m not going to call all Celtic fans fascists because that would be ridiculous. 

Celtic post an entire ad campaign with ‘this is our city’ on it, and their nearest rivals* respond in an ad for a football kit and it’s attracted this level of shite. 

*I mean generally I’ve got no idea what St Mirren’s stance on it is.

Edited by Orbix

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Two videos using the same tune.  One comes from 'them' and one from 'us'.  One is acceptable and one is offensive.  You have to have a black belt in casuistry - or a manufacturer of faux-offense - to explain this.

Can’t speak for anyone else, but if you are honestly trying to justify your club’s pish, by pointing out Celtic are riddled with vermin too… well I don’t think it’s headline news to anyone really. 😄

1) I honestly believe that it is the most appropriate song to use that celebrates our history which is why I believe it was used. That it shares the same tune as TFS in my view is irrelevant because it all comes down to intent, which brings me to answer your second question...
2) The bigoted element in our support does not need nor should it be catered to. I do not believe the media team at Rangers decided to use that song as a way to tap into bigoted minds. If anything, I'd say it is being used to reinforce the message of 150 years of history that people are often cynical about, given the lyrics.
Next you will be telling us that the Orange away strips were something like a tribute to Dutch players or something.....

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

If I had to name 10 Rangers songs I Dreamed a Dream or whatever the f**k it is wouldn't be in there. Strange for a song sung every game apparently.

Never heard of it 

Well considering we have only played you once in about ten years with an actual Rangers crowd in the ground . I’m not sursprised .

The song took off around 2011 in Smiths last season if I remember correctly 

TFS was from around 2008 and was sung for a while , caused a bit of controversy and then faded away from the stands once folk realised it was leading to bother and I genuinely can’t recall hearing it from the stands home or away since the late 2000s early 2010’s. 

Edited by Forever_blueco

12 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Well considering we have only played you once in about ten years with an actual Rangers crowd in the ground . I’m not sursprised .

TFS was from around 2008 and was sung for a while , caused a bit of controversy and then faded away from the stands once folk realised it was leading to bother and I genuinely can’t recall hearing it from the stands home or away since the late 2000s early 2010’s. 

I'm sorry I missed it. It sounds great 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's really not. I've not heard it at McDiarmid in 10 years, and the only evidence I've seen otherwise is a dodgy clip from 10 seasons ago.

It's a song Rangers fans just don't sing at away games without it veering into the famine song.

Are you fucking serious? 😂

I literally gave you video evidence of it being sang at McDiarmid and now you are saying it is a “dodgy clip”?! What is dodgy about it? I’d love to hear your explanation of that one.

You are arguing in bad faith here trying to pretend it isn’t a song that is regularly sang despite the overwhelming evidence showing otherwise.

Just because you’ve not cared to pay attention does not mean it wasn’t sang, because it 100% has been.

4 lads had a dream is clearly a rangers song and is sung by the fans.

However, it is sang to the same tune as the Famine Song. Rangers releasing a video with this tune and saying “we were here first” is cringey behaviour and clearly pandering to the bigoted element of the fan base. 

Surely someone involved with creating the video brought this up at some stage and they’ve ignored it.

Also claiming they are the first is fucking weird. Considering Queens Park are the oldest club in the city. Even Killie were before Rangers

20 hours ago, AJF said:

The tune is used as the Four Lads Had a Dream song. This is sang at Ibrox every home match and is literally a song about our founders, which this strip commemorates. It is 100% the most appropriate song to use for this kit launch and viewed in the context it is intended, there is no problem with using it.

I don't think the fact the same tune is used for a different type of song should change that considering anyone with an ounce of comprehension will know why the song is being used in this promo video. This is 100% a case of Stewart being faux offended by something that is not there, otherwise he would've condemned us singing Four Lads Had a Dream at Ibrox for any of our home games following those "recent events".

Bollocks, they are killing 2 birds with one stone and quite happy with both interpretations.

9 hours ago, Forever_blueco said:

It didn’t cause controversy. There was no debate about its merit, with two sides putting forwards their academic views on it, as if it was a new proposal worthy of discussion. It was a bunch of filthy dregs of society screeching about people of Irish lineage not being welcome in their country. Also, the idea that you all thought it was perfectly reasonable to sing it, until all of a sudden out of the blue (pun intended) enlightenment dawned on the horde, is laughable.

The fact that the club are attempting to let it back in through the rear door with this weird innuendo dripping video, reflects very poorly on a club who are generally regarded as trash by the majority the country already. 

It’s a total cringe from the Rangers marketing team. 

11 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

It didn’t cause controversy. There was no debate about its merit, with two sides putting forwards their academic views on it, as if it was a new proposal worthy of discussion. It was a bunch of filthy dregs of society screeching about people of Irish lineage not being welcome in their country. Also, the idea that you all thought it was perfectly reasonable to sing it, until all of a sudden out of the blue (pun intended) enlightenment dawned on the horde, is laughable.

The fact that the club are attempting to let it back in through the rear door with this weird innuendo dripping video, reflects very poorly on a club who are generally regarded as trash by the majority the country already. 

It’s a total cringe from the Rangers marketing team. 

4 lads had a dream has been played in the stadium for years 😂

the club  released an updated version of it following winning the league and not one word was said about it 

although to be fair most folk were pre occupied with doctored sweet Caroline videos at the time 

Edited by Forever_blueco

6 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

4 lads had a dream has been played in the stadium for years 😂

the club  released an updated version of it following winning the league and not one word was said about it 

although to be fair most folk were pre occupied with doctored sweet Caroline videos at the time 

Minus the ’here first’ and ‘our city’ innuendos, you’d probably be able to convince most people of this. It’s a shame you won’t just admit it, I’d have been interested to hear your honest opinion on your club doing this sort of thing through official channel.

8 hours ago, AJF said:

You are arguing in bad faith here trying to pretend it isn’t a song that is regularly sang despite the overwhelming evidence showing otherwise.

One clip, of one stand, from 10 seasons ago, isn't "overwhelming evidence" its the version most commonly sung at away games I'm afraid.