The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Imagine having to defend your club from using a song that has been adopted by bigots and racists, despite the club knowing full well bigots and racists were arrested recently for singing that very song, while twitter fills up with other fans congratulating the club for using a song that was adopted by bigots and racists.

While clearly nothing illegal is going on here, not in the slightest, it is stunningly poor optics from Rangers,.

Their marketing strategy is to deliberately appeal to the most rancid in their fan base (majority) while publicly disowning them at the same time. Seems to work well for them. 

10 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Their marketing strategy is to deliberately appeal to the most rancid in their fan base (majority) while publicly disowning them at the same time. Seems to work well for them. 

The irony of a Celtic fan posting this is brilliant.

17 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

This…

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The irony of a Celtic fan posting this is brilliant.

And this.

Making supporting the team, itself, an act of disguised bigotry is a wonderful rhetorical device because then anything the club does is proof that it’s bigoted, and the fans likewise. Dont know if it really holds up to any scrutiny but. 

I don’t know. I honestly do know buns that aren’t sectarian minded arseholes. Quite a few of them. They bear (pardon the pun) absolutely no resemblance to the puddle drinking hordes that post shit like that Tweet earlier. Same with the other p***ks, there’s folk who just support them as a football team, as well as the weird c***s that think their football club is a political expression. [emoji1]

I realise there are Old Firm fans like that and I know some, but if they choose to align themselves with those clubs and share stands and supporters buses with the puddle drinkers then I have zero sympathy for them when they inevitably get tarred with the same brush.

The are times when I've been embarrassed to be a Thistle fan (thanks J. Low) and if that continued indefinitely then I'd find someone else to support. How a right-minded adult can say they're an Old Firm fan without a twinge of embarrassment is beyond me.

I don’t know. I honestly do know buns that aren’t sectarian minded arseholes. Quite a few of them. They bear (pardon the pun) absolutely no resemblance to the puddle drinking hordes that post shit like that Tweet earlier. Same with the other p***ks, there’s folk who just support them as a football team, as well as the weird c***s that think their football club is a political expression. [emoji1]
I just don't get how all these decent folk can stand shoulder to shoulder with bigots, week in week out and just accept it.
Why don't "majority" just drown out the minority when they start their pish?
The day I hear the fans booing "The Billy Boys" I'll accept that sectarianism is being dealt with.

30 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I realise there are Old Firm fans like that and I know some, but if they choose to align themselves with those clubs and share stands and supporters buses with the puddle drinkers then I have zero sympathy for them when they inevitably get tarred with the same brush.

The are times when I've been embarrassed to be a Thistle fan (thanks J. Low) and if that continued indefinitely then I'd find someone else to support. How a right-minded adult can say they're an Old Firm fan without a twinge of embarrassment is beyond me.

All fair. 

38 minutes ago, G51 said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The funny thing is, this isn’t even the first time the likes of Angela Haggerty and those bunch of losers have tried to portray 4LHAD as racist. 

God, you’re one step away from another speech about sneering at good working class people aren’t you. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

God, you’re one step away from another speech about sneering at good working class people aren’t you. 

Oh sure, I love that speech. 

It’s a real shame that the anti-racist movement has to incorporate bad faith actors like Jeanette Findlay and Michael Stewart though. It demeans the entire movement when you base your views on something as stupid as not liking a football team because they beat you regularly. 

40 minutes ago, G51 said:

The funny thing is, this isn’t even the first time the likes of Angela Haggerty and those bunch of losers have tried to portray 4LHAD as racist. 

Have they actually said that?

Or are they viewing Rangers releasing a video telling their fans "this is our city, we were here first" with the famine song tune playing in the background and questioning it?

There's absolutely zero doubt the majority of Rangers fans prefer that version. Up until Rangers banned it from Ibrox it was the version most song. At away games it still is. Last month Rangers themselves banned fans for singing it FFS. They know fine well the undertones to playing that music.

Again though, it's allowed to exist because you've got the "sensible" fans who'll group together to sneer at anyone who questions it, and make excuses for it all.

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

Oh sure, I love that speech. 

It’s a real shame that the anti-racist movement has to incorporate bad faith actors like Jeanette Findlay and Michael Stewart though. It demeans the entire movement when you base your views on something as stupid as not liking a football team because they beat you regularly. 

I love it too. It’s just a real shame it usually takes a ‘celebration’ involving people kicking f**k out of each other to hear it. 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have they actually said that?

Or are they viewing Rangers releasing a video telling their fans "this is our city, we were here first" with the famine song tune playing in the background and questioning it?

There's absolutely zero doubt the majority of Rangers fans prefer that version. Up until Rangers banned it from Ibrox it was the version most song. At away games it still is. Last month Rangers themselves banned fans for singing it FFS. They know fine well the undertones to playing that music.

Again though, it's allowed to exist because you've got the "sensible" fans who'll group together to sneer at anyone who questions it, and make excuses for it all.

Absolute word salad. 

You don’t need to use anti-racism to justify not liking a football club pal. There are loads of people who are able to admit “I don’t like Rangers because they regularly come to my town and run up the score on my beloved team”.

Trying to pretend a clearly non-racist song is racist is a bit embarrassing tbh. It just makes you look like an idiot.

52 minutes ago, G51 said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

No mate your club are a bunch of no righters.

The famine song predate 4LHAD and despite it using a tune that had been used for a sectarian song the club embraced it.

It is shite dog whistle politics and there are Rangers fans celebrating that they have got one up on their enemies by using the song.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

Absolute word salad. 

You don’t need to use anti-racism to justify not liking a football club pal. There are loads of people who are able to admit “I don’t like Rangers because they regularly come to my town and run up the score on my beloved team”.

Trying to pretend a clearly non-racist song is racist is a bit embarrassing tbh. It just makes you look like an idiot.

Yeah, stock response from Rangers fans whenever Rangers are criticised. Attack the people doing it.

Rangers have played a tune the majority of their fanbase associate with the famine song, while telling them that Glasgow is their city and they were there first. You understand why people are questioning the motive behind that combination considering the meaning of the famine song?

If Celtic had done something similar I'd be on their thread too. Absolutely wild how so many Rangers fans are willing to blind themselves to how the club acts, the "everyone is out to get us" PR machine that started up 9 years ago certainly earned its coin by the looks of it.