The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

I think this is where I can see both sides of the argument. There are people (like Michael Stewart) who will see this in a completely partisan view and genuinely believe that Rangers are using this tune as a reference to TFS due to the actions of moronic fans that have made it infamous.
But in reality, Four Lads is 100x more prominently sang in the Rangers support with the club also playing it over the tannoy pre-match. That is why I believe intent has to be taken into account here and I believe anyone who thinks this song has been used in reference to TFS rather than Four Lads is going out their way to be offended.
I honestly think you might just be a naive wee soul.
Sorry mate.

14 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I don't. It's not like this is some shocking turn of events. They've been flying with these crows for years. They choose to sit alongside these people. We're not talking about ethnicity, sexuality or eye colour; you choose which football club you support.

I agree, but equally, there will be some fok who go because their dad's took them and they are hooked from an early age. Probably the bigotry goes hand in had with a lot of it, especially away games, but I do think there will be an increasing number of fans who want no part of it. The time has come they need to be doing more to self police and not hide behind a flimsy argument of this song really means x, although these folk sing y.

I certainly couldn't go week in week out and hear my own clubs fans sign something I fundamentally disagreed with. I would fight to better my clubs identity.

I do though think Rangers know exactly what they are doing here. To say otherwise is being stupid.

So often they are clinging onto their perception of history at the expense of their future.

That the less socially adapted members of The Rangers support choose to sing "The Famine Song" illustrates their lack of knowledge of history. Or simple selective bigotry.

A large proportion of the original Rangers support were staunch Presbyterian Highlanders evicted from the land to make way for sheep (insert your own jokes here). Many others were staunch Presbyterian Highlanders who opted for the industrial slums of Glasgow rather than suffer the impact of the potato famine which killed thousands across the Highlands and Islands. 

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Below you’ll find a few easily found YouTube videos of Rangers fans singing the song at home, away and abroad.

If you skip to 2:30 of the first video, you’ll find the song being sung at McDiarmid. You’re talking shite.

https://youtu.be/k6sjE3BMhqE

https://youtu.be/ARlMjlO8KcI

https://youtu.be/UM-8PwW9II4

https://youtu.be/powsy3UEg_U

https://youtu.be/RSLo1UCfg2o

https://youtu.be/OEmQ-cIgJrQ

It's literally been 10 seasons since that clip m8, so I'm not sure of your point.

You know fine well why they used that song alongside "we were here first"/"this city is ours". Much like you know fine well why Rangers always have to have orange gear for sale.

It's just pathetic you're so blinded by loyalty to a football club that you're willing to stand beside an institution encouraging the mindset they are.

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

From the horses mouth 

B0C224BA-17E3-4C30-A809-7E3983C67FB8.jpeg

What weird tragic people they are. Cannot fathom someone living their short precious life, and devoting it to such oddball pursuits as this. I just cannot imagine it being rewarding. 😄

Edited by Kyle Reese

Imagine having to defend your club from using a song that has been adopted by bigots and racists, despite the club knowing full well bigots and racists were arrested recently for singing that very song, while twitter fills up with other fans congratulating the club for using a song that was adopted by bigots and racists.

While clearly nothing illegal is going on here, not in the slightest, it is stunningly poor optics from Rangers,.

Imagine having to defend your club from using a song that has been adopted by bigots and racists, despite the club knowing full well bigots and racists were arrested recently for singing that very song, while twitter fills up with other fans congratulating the club for using a song that was adopted by bigots and racists.
While clearly nothing illegal is going on here, not in the slightest, it is stunningly poor optics from Rangers,.
Surely we all know by now that Rangers absolutely love the bigot coin and try very hard to work right up to, and try not to stray over the line of deniability?

4 hours ago, DMCs said:

This is really scraping the barrel. Hilarious though 

I remember the good old days of last month when Rangers fans on here insisted the opinion of nil by mouth was the absolute last word on what should be considered sectarian or not.

“Here Shug, what did you get up to the day big man?”

“Same thing I do everyday Billy, obsessed about Irish folk and Catholics.”

”See we managed to get that famine song in our latest video?”

”Aye, pure class, so it is.”

It’s so weird and creepy. Is there some sort of subtle reward with it, that I’m not seeing? Some hidden fulfilment? Really does seem like an awful waste of time and energy over something so unimportant. 

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's literally been 10 seasons since that clip m8, so I'm not sure of your point.

You know fine well why they used that song alongside "we were here first"/"this city is ours". Much like you know fine well why Rangers always have to have orange gear for sale.

It's just pathetic you're so blinded by loyalty to a football club that you're willing to stand beside an institution encouraging the mindset they are.

It's rather obvious what my point was... you said you hadn't heard the song at McDiarmid in the last 10+ years which is quite evidently incorrect unless you are claiming that you yourself never heard it because you were either not there or were not listening for it. It's rather obvious from the other videos it is a common song sang by the support as well and it will undoubtedly have been sang at McDiarmid over the years. I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money on the fact that it was likely sang at McDiarmid last month as well, but I don't really have the time or energy to go and watch the match back to prove a point.

Not only is it sang by our support, it is literally played at every home game at Ibrox as well, so why has nobody taken issue with being a song that panders to bigots until now? Is it because it is an instrumental version that's been used and people can therefore interpret as whatever song they wish it to be that uses the same tune? Would the same outrage be getting displayed if it was a song with the lyrics included (lets not mention that the notes are in sync with the Four Lads lyrics though, eh)?

I don't believe I am blinded by loyalty in this scenario. People may have a point that Rangers pander to a certain element in other instances, but this is literally a song being used that celebrates our founders when we are releasing an anniversary kit.

The person who produced said song will probably put it better than I possibly can:

Edited by AJF

This guy usually puts some alright articles together about HMFC. Young guy starting out:

https://enrgsport.net/2021/10/14/playing-on-the-front-foot-at-ibrox-will-give-you-a-chance-says-hearts-boss-neilson/

often needs a wee spellcheck, but the content is normally worth a read if you are a Hearts supporter.

Edited by Kyle Reese

I agree, but equally, there will be some fok who go because their dad's took them and they are hooked from an early age.

I've known folk who were raised to support one of the cheeks but when they reached their mid-teens realised they didn't want to be associated with all the nonsense.

They now support diddy clubs like Morton instead and don't regret their decision. Unfortunately most of these types are probably just lost to the game.

You're not forced to continue to support a club for the rest of your life. To attempt to change Sevco from within it's not only a futile task it's like trying to change the Pavilion Theatre into The Globe.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

I've known folk who were raised to support one of the cheeks but when they reached their mid-teens realised they didn't want to be associated with all the nonsense.

They now support diddy clubs like Morton instead and don't regret their decision. Unfortunately most of these types are probably just lost to the game.

You're not forced to continue to support a club for the rest of your life. To attempt to change Sevco from within it's not only a futile task it's like trying to change the Pavilion Theatre into The Globe.

I don’t know. I honestly do know buns that aren’t sectarian minded arseholes. Quite a few of them. They bear (pardon the pun) absolutely no resemblance to the puddle drinking hordes that post shit like that Tweet earlier. Same with the other p***ks, there’s folk who just support them as a football team, as well as the weird c***s that think their football club is a political expression. 😄

51 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's not though, they know exactly what they're doing.

Prodding (pardon the pun) around the edges of acceptability in recent years, picking at the scab of being "wronged" a decade ago, a scab that they would have been far better off letting heal.