The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

6 minutes ago, stressball said:

Nah we’re all diddies apparently.

I’m not saying you’re all diddies, I’m simply saying sometimes the most logical explanation is the correct one.

Playing the tune to a song that commemorates our founders in a promo video launching a 150th anniversary kit is a lot more logical than playing the tune to a song that sings about the Irish famine in a promo video launching a 150th anniversary kit.

The whole kit launch branding revolves around legacy and our founders.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’m not saying you’re all diddies, I’m simply saying sometimes the most logical explanation is the correct one.

Playing the tune to a song that commemorates our founders in a promo video launching a 150th anniversary kit is a lot more logical than playing the tune to a song that sings about the Irish famine in a promo video launching a 150th anniversary kit.

Do you honestly believe, that given the associations acquired by that song, it wouldn't be best avoided?

Do you honestly believe that its use here is not calculated for its appeal to the bigoted element?

The usual round of "not touching, can't get mad!" from The Rangers fans.

Some amount of mental gymnastics involved in staying associated with those clubs without being an out-and-proud bigot.

36 minutes ago, AJF said:

You’re talking shite

I dont think @RandomGuy. was. Until this thread I had never even heard of that song.

I had heard the Famine Song being sung many many times at ER.

Perhaps if it was sung, I may have mistaken it for the one which is belted out with gusto by the braindead neanderthals?

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

In all honesty, it’s an absolute nothing story lads. 

Rangers are a grim institution devoid of any redeeming features but other than the hilarious 150 years patter there’s no story here. 

That was a silly thing to post, you're missing out on all of the point scoring. 

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I dont think @RandomGuy. was. Until this thread I had never even heard of that song.

Perhaps if it was sung, I may have mistaken it for the one which is belted out with gusto by the braindead neanderthals?

Fcuk up mate.

It's the genuine non aresehole Rangers fans I feel sorry for. You shouldn't be having to have any debate over alternative lyrics to a song about the founders or your club or have some idiots bringing your club down.

I don't. It's not like this is some shocking turn of events. They've been flying with these crows for years. They choose to sit alongside these people. We're not talking about ethnicity, sexuality or eye colour; you choose which football club you support.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Do you honestly believe, that given the associations acquired by that song, it wouldn't be best avoided?

Do you honestly believe that its use here is not calculated for its appeal to the bigoted element?

1) I honestly believe that it is the most appropriate song to use that celebrates our history which is why I believe it was used. That it shares the same tune as TFS in my view is irrelevant because it all comes down to intent, which brings me to answer your second question...

2) The bigoted element in our support does not need nor should it be catered to. I do not believe the media team at Rangers decided to use that song as a way to tap into bigoted minds. If anything, I'd say it is being used to reinforce the message of 150 years of history that people are often cynical about, given the lyrics.

5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

That was kind of what I was getting at. Given that Four Lads has been sang up and down the country, it would be odd for us never to have sang it at McDiarmid, which we now know is incorrect. Whether people mistook it for TFS, I couldn't say, but they are very different in how they are sang.

16 minutes ago, AJF said:

It's so utterly bizarre seeing Saltires behind a *** kit.

Like hearing a cat bark.

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I can’t see Charles green anywhere in that video 

Unfortunately he only makes public appearances from hospital beds. As he isn't currently ill he was unavailable for comment.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

1) I honestly believe that it is the most appropriate song to use that celebrates our history which is why I believe it was used. That it shares the same tune as TFS in my view is irrelevant because it all comes down to intent, which brings me to answer your second question...

2) The bigoted element in our support does not need nor should it be catered to. I do not believe the media team at Rangers decided to use that song as a way to tap into bigoted minds. If anything, I'd say it is being used to reinforce the message of 150 years of history that people are often cynical about, given the lyrics.

Ok, I accept that that's how you see it.

I think you're kidding yourself a bit though.  I think the indifference of decent sorts like yourself, enables the signals to be sent to those that aren't.

I'm not sure that the 'dog whistle' metaphor works that well, because diddies and bigots alike, can hear it clearly.  It just seems to be at the perfect frequency for ostensibly sensible Rangers fans to miss.