The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Michael Stewart making a fool of himself. Again.

He really can’t help but dive in two footed to condemn without actually getting his facts straight first.

To be fair, given recent events, it's not totally unreasonable to be a bit surprised that this tune was used. Yes, I get its been used for something more relevant to the new kits history etc, but given the words used otherwise, if folk condemn it's use, then it's sort of the Rangers fans who amended the lyrics to something more political's fault.

I put it in with the extra lines in simply the best or in flower of Scotland as crass and unnecessarily cringy. I'm sure Celtic do it too, but frankly, I can't actually tell what half of the songs they sing ate actually saying, other than to assume its some pish that is completely irrelevant to either footba or the 21st century. 

That said, Stewart is still a tube.

BTW, I really want to hate the kit because it's Rangers and the 150 years isn't right because of liquidation etc etc etc, but I actually think it is quite smart. 

9 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

To be fair, given recent events, it's not totally unreasonable to be a bit surprised that this tune was used. Yes, I get its been used for something more relevant to the new kits history etc, but given the words used otherwise, if folk condemn it's use, then it's sort of the Rangers fans who amended the lyrics to something more political's fault.

I put it in with the extra lines in simply the best or in flower of Scotland as crass and unnecessarily cringy. I'm sure Celtic do it too, but frankly, I can't actually tell what half of the songs they sing ate actually saying, other than to assume its some pish that is completely irrelevant to either footba or the 21st century. 

That said, Stewart is still a tube.

BTW, I really want to hate the kit because it's Rangers and the 150 years isn't right because of liquidation etc etc etc, but I actually think it is quite smart. 

The tune is used as the Four Lads Had a Dream song. This is sang at Ibrox every home match and is literally a song about our founders, which this strip commemorates. It is 100% the most appropriate song to use for this kit launch and viewed in the context it is intended, there is no problem with using it.

I don't think the fact the same tune is used for a different type of song should change that considering anyone with an ounce of comprehension will know why the song is being used in this promo video. This is 100% a case of Stewart being faux offended by something that is not there, otherwise he would've condemned us singing Four Lads Had a Dream at Ibrox for any of our home games following those "recent events".

1 minute ago, AJF said:

The tune is used as the Four Lads Had a Dream song. This is sang at Ibrox every home match and is literally a song about our founders, which this strip commemorates. It is 100% the most appropriate song to use for this kit launch and viewed in the context it is intended, there is no problem with using it.

I don't think the fact the same tune is used for a different type of song should change that considering anyone with an ounce of comprehension will know why the song is being used in this promo video. This is 100% a case of Stewart being faux offended by something that is not there, otherwise he would've condemned us singing Four Lads Had a Dream at Ibrox for any of our home games following those "recent events".

I suppose that was my point. I understand the song and its link to this kit etc, but I think it's not a surprise that people also connect the tune to the other lyrics sung to it. 100% right it would otherwise be the correct song to use, but I'd argue that like others, the true intent of the song has been in some small way ruined by others.

You would know better than me, but while 90+% percent of fans at Ibrox would sing one lyric, there will be some signing the famine song.

It's all feeding into the wider narrative of a few (others can argue on the scale) fans constantly pissing on the parade of others by constantly undermining things.

It's clever marketing by the club to be fair. As you say, the song is sung every game and can be attributed to the founders, but creates a bit of a stir due to the recent events which further increases the shirts appeal. 

17 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It is a lovely looking strip, but they are trying sooooo hard to pretend 2012 didn't happen. Very IngSoc of them.

Also: "we were here before anybody else". Really? Queen's Park FC might have a word to say about that.

I get the impression the “We were here first” isn’t to do with football 

21 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

And Kilmarnock

And Stranraer

20 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

And Dumbarton.

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt in only thinking they meant in Glasgow, but that shower probably brainwashed themselves into thinking they invented the entire sport in 1690.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Michael Stewart making a fool of himself. Again.

He really can’t help but dive in two footed to condemn without actually getting his facts straight first.

“Glasgow is our city” is pretty much “why don’t you go home” in my quite honest opinion. 

Also they are such try hards with the 150 years thing :lol:

There was an incident involving that tune and Rangers that made national headlines just around about a month ago.

Incredible naivety and stupidity at best to then use it in their new kit launch because it's a tune for another song. 

Lack of care, responsibility and quite a sinister vibe that's reminiscent of this kit is orange because we have a few Dutch players at worst.

Moronic either way.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It is a lovely looking strip, but they are trying sooooo hard to pretend 2012 didn't happen. Very IngSoc of them.

Also: "we were here before anybody else". Really? Queen's Park FC might have a word to say about that.

No, it's correct. Neanderthals occupied europe thousands of years before homo sapiens 

Edited by coprolite
f**k you mark Connolly

1 hour ago, AJF said:

The swastika is/was a symbol of divinity and spirituality in India while also being seen as a good luck sign in western society. But it doesnt mean that in 2021 its appropriate to send someone a swastika before a big exam now does it? 

It doesnt matter if the original song is entirely inoffensive and the most appropriate choice, once that song has been b*****dised by a bunch of arseholes, the song itself takes on a new meaning.

Given that people have been charged with singing the b*****dised version in the past few months, it is at the very least a fucking daft move on Rangers' part to include this in official promotion material.