The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Journalists rightly calling out bigoted scenes today, but we all know that after a day or two of seeming like they have a backbone, they will all revert to type and kneel before the Rantic by the end of the week.

Waiting for the day one if them has the balls to directly ask the questions of the likes of Gerrard what HE thinks about his teams fans singing.

It's not limited to one side of glasgow, it is both and no amount of whataboutery justifies any of it.

If the sports journalists encountered the same behaviour in any other area of news, they would be all over it until they got answers. Imagine the news coverage if there was a march in England about Scots going home......

BBC Scotland would turn a blind eye.

35 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Journalists rightly calling out bigoted scenes today, but we all know that after a day or two of seeming like they have a backbone, they will all revert to type and kneel before the Rantic by the end of the week.

Waiting for the day one if them has the balls to directly ask the questions of the likes of Gerrard what HE thinks about his teams fans singing.

It's not limited to one side of glasgow, it is both and no amount of whataboutery justifies any of it.

If the sports journalists encountered the same behaviour in any other area of news, they would be all over it until they got answers. Imagine the news coverage if there was a march in England about Scots going home......

As a side note. There APPARENTLY was also sectarian singing at Tannadice yesterday. 

Which as far as I can see has been completely unreported by the media...

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

As a side note. There APPARENTLY was also sectarian singing at Tannadice yesterday. 

They certainly sung the Georgie Boys.  As for others, not sure I heard anything sectarian.

8 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

They certainly sung the Georgie Boys.  As for others, not sure I heard anything sectarian.

Or course neither did I as I wasn't there but I seen a certain Dundee journalist retweeting United fans quoting that the lines "****** blood" & "No Surrender" were being used. 

No idea if true, surprisingly I didn't see any replies from Hearts fans denying it either - which oddly we're even seeing on the Rangers videos, despite there being actual videos of it?!!!

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

13 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Hardly anyone has the chance to directly ask any questions to Gerrard given that Rangers are charging £25k for the privilege.

Edited by craigkillie

7 hours ago, ropy said:

Big fans of Culture Club, are they?

Georgy Girl a better song 

Chunts! 🤣

I was in the GF upper near the Shed so could here a few of their songs but to be honest I was focussed on the game but did think they had sung to "being up to our knees" at the time...but assumed I had misheard as I know a few clubs sing their own version of that song which does not mention f******.

It was only when it was mentioned on here that I went and checked the lyrics of The Gorgie Boys.

They also sung "I was Born Under a Union Jack" but from what I just read online that song makes no mention of Falls or Shankil Road and is just anti Hibs so maybe the so called journalist misheard that one.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Hardly anyone has the chance to directly ask any questions to Gerrard given that Rangers are charging £25k for the privilege.

Is there any other clubs in world football that charge journalists for the privilege of doing their jobs?

It obviously wont happen, but I would love it if media outlets, including the BBC, just collectively refused to report on Rangers until they lift these stupid charges and drop their pathetic BBC feud. Rangers playing St Johnstone in a couple of weeks? No bother, report on everything from the St Johnstone side of things and make Rangers a footnote with the absolute bare minimum like injury news or whatever. No interviews with manager or players. No puff pieces from ex-players. Time for them to grow a backbone and stand up to the new club.

9 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Is there any other clubs in world football that charge journalists for the privilege of doing their jobs?

It obviously wont happen, but I would love it if media outlets, including the BBC, just collectively refused to report on Rangers until they lift these stupid charges and drop their pathetic BBC feud. Rangers playing St Johnstone in a couple of weeks? No bother, report on everything from the St Johnstone side of things and make Rangers a footnote with the absolute bare minimum like injury news or whatever. No interviews with manager or players. No puff pieces from ex-players. Time for them to grow a backbone and stand up to the new club.

If you were to ask a Scottish journalist to do a piece on any team outside the old firm it would take them a week to come up with a non-patronising headline let alone an in-depth nuanced article.

28 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

If you were to ask a Scottish journalist to do a piece on any team outside the old firm it would take them a week to come up with a non-patronising headline let alone an in-depth nuanced article.

An easy starting point for every piece on most SPFL clubs - "Ex-Celt who now plays for..." ,  "Former (The) Rangers youth player...", "...whose manger once played for ...", "The tea lady here sings a great version of The Sash ", "The Celtic manager says about this club that...". There's always a way into the story and they use it every time. 

It's not done to grab the attention of the club being reported on of course , but simply for the benefit of the C&R support who hopefully have someone read it out to them.

51 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

It obviously wont happen, but I would love it if media outlets, including the BBC, just collectively refused to report on Rangers until they lift these stupid charges and drop their pathetic BBC feud. Rangers playing St Johnstone in a couple of weeks? No bother, report on everything from the St Johnstone side of things and make Rangers a footnote with the absolute bare minimum like injury news or whatever.

So you mean just reverse the usual process? 

Guest TheJTS98
On 30/08/2021 at 06:16, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Definitely happened, confirmed by people I know who were there.

I think Hearts have been very clear about this in recent years, to the point where our more 'edgy' boys hate Budge with something approaching a quite worrying venom.

But, it seems to be creeping back in. I've been away for years now, but before I left it was almost gone for quite a while, but there seems to have been en emergence of a new young team who seem to be right keen on it. My last trip home a couple of years ago I noticed it a lot more than I had done for years.

2 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Definitely happened, confirmed by people I know who were there.

I think Hearts have been very clear about this in recent years, to the point where our more 'edgy' boys hate Budge with something approaching a quite worrying venom.

But, it seems to be creeping back in. I've been away for years now, but before I left it was almost gone for quite a while, but there seems to have been en emergence of a new young team who seem to be right keen on it. My last trip home a couple of years ago I noticed it a lot more than I had done for years.

Wasn’t sure if they were singing “****** scum” or “hibee scum” but they were definitely singing that song. 

19 hours ago, Goodwillie said:

Wasn’t sure if they were singing “****** scum” or “hibee scum” but they were definitely singing that song. 

With a username like that I'd probably just keep myself to myself tbh.

It must have been mentioned previously but I recently had the misfortune to stumble across "The Fourth Official" (?) on Twitter.

Abysmal. It's astonishing that some of these folk presumably pick up a wage for their work too.