The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

If I was being cynical I’d say thistle and hearts have identified this ‘siege mentality’ as a marketing tool.

That was exactly it. To think we used to call ourselves "The Great Glasgow Alternative". Some of the press releases at the time were straight out of the Old Firm playbook.

Obviously it was shite being relegated by off the pitch decisions rather than a chorus of 93rd minutes boos at Gayfield, especially with the postponed ICT game still to play, but some of the reaction was wild.

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

100%. It was a situation to absolutely be sympathetic with but you draw a line at the point people think it was some sort of premeditated injustice put upon clubs.

If I was being cynical I’d say thistle and hearts have identified this ‘siege mentality’ as a marketing tool.

Did they ever sell "The M8 Alliance" half and half scarves?

30 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Still there. What’s that, a week it’s been showing this graphic on BBC Scotland?

BA7E313A-4B18-4FE2-9EE9-878C2A52CA67.jpeg

TBF, this does seem to be an issue that causes a lot of confusion with various media outlets including Sky and the BBC. 
Would it not be simpler if one of the Dundee sides changed their name to something more distinct, or perhaps the two clubs could merge?

Colin Moffat on the BBC Scotland website tonight.

Well, Celtic's Champions League journey is over at the first hurdle, going out at the second qualifying round stage for the second season running.

Aberdeen and Hibernian are up tomorrow in the Europa League, where Celtic will find themselves next week.

16 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Still there. What’s that, a week it’s been showing this graphic on BBC Scotland?

BA7E313A-4B18-4FE2-9EE9-878C2A52CA67.jpeg

I've contacted them twice about this, although the first time was BBC Sport Scotland. BBC Scotland have this time acknowledged it and responded...

"Thanks for getting in touch and we are sorry we put out the wrong information. We have alerted the relevant teams so this information will be updated for future airings."

Edited by Tannadeechee

10 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

I've contact them twice about this, although the first time was BBC Sport Scotland. BBC Scotland have this time acknowledged it and responded...

"Thanks for getting in touch and we are sorry we put out the wrong information. We have alerted the relevant teams so this information will be updated for future airings."

Be interesting to see what happens on Sunday;

BBC Commentator: ”and the teams are running down the tunnel at Pittodrie, Aberdeen followed by what appears to be Dundee United. Well this is a turn up as I’ve got Dundee written down here”

TBF, this does seem to be an issue that causes a lot of confusion with various media outlets including Sky and the BBC. 
Would it not be simpler if one of the Dundee sides changed their name to something more distinct, or perhaps the two clubs could merge?

Not really something that can be defended tbh, it’s just plain lazy. I get that it’s unusual to have one side without a suffix, but if Scottish media can tell the difference between Clyde/Clydebank, Man Utd/City, Bristol City/Rovers, Sheffield Utd/Wednesday and CSKA/Lokomotiv/Spartak/Dynamo/Torpedo Moscow, they can surely manage it with 2 of the largest and most successful clubs in the country.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Be interesting to see what happens on Sunday;

BBC Commentator: ”and the teams are running down the tunnel at Pittodrie, Aberdeen followed by what appears to be Dundee United. Well this is a turn up as I’ve got Dundee written down here”

Whereas the Sky Sports reporter is wondering why nobody else is at Tannadice

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

TBF, the apart from Celtic, the Dundee clubs have made it further than any other club in Scotland in Europe's big tournament.

Until recently the only league club between Montrose and Rockall. With that in mind they are very poorly supported 

16 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

TBF, the apart from Celtic, the Dundee clubs have made it further than any other club in Scotland in Europe's big tournament.

Semi Finalists in the European Cup........

Along with Hibernian in 1956.

tenor.gif&key=d1fb45e23f17b653bde39c93baf2d77e38dc760c0dc2c99265a9ad60f4b572bf

This should be good so I’ll happily bite.

Both clubs are joint 7th most successful with Kilmarnock, with both having better European achievements.

Both currently occupy places in the top tier, unlike Kilmarnock or Queen’s Park above them. In an all time top flight league table, Dundee are 7th and United 11th.

Attendance figures obviously fluctuate, but United are nearly always 6th with Dundee usually between 7th and 10th.

Who then outside the big 5 is clearly larger and more successful and considering they both feature in top 25% for any logical category, how high would they have to feature to be “2 of the largest and most successful clubs in the country”?

3 hours ago, stu2910 said:

Not really something that can be defended tbh, it’s just plain lazy. I get that it’s unusual to have one side without a suffix, but if Scottish media can tell the difference between Clyde/Clydebank, Man Utd/City, Bristol City/Rovers, Sheffield Utd/Wednesday and CSKA/Lokomotiv/Spartak/Dynamo/Torpedo Moscow, they can surely manage it with 2 of the largest and most successful clubs in the country.

Is it not some stupid automated system thing that gets them mixed up. Always assumed it was probably more that than human error.

On Man U/Man City, probably the biggest error on mixing them up was Robinho. Allegedly thought he was signing for Man United as opposed to Man City. Sure someone will have a clip, but I think he just refers to them as Manchester at his unveiling press conference.

Other error was one of the teams Saints played in Europe in 70's turned up at Johnstone instead of Perth or were certainly on their way there. 

4 hours ago, stu2910 said:

Maybe Dundee could add a suffix to their name to make it easier to distinguish them from Dundee United?

Either Dundee Harp or Dundee Hibernian would be a nod to historic football teams from the city or, if they wanted something that was more representative of their recent history, Dundee InAdministration would be apt.

Maybe Dundee could add a suffix to their name to make it easier to distinguish them from Dundee United?
Either Dundee Harp or Dundee Hibernian would be a nod to historic football teams from the city or, if they wanted something that was more representative of their recent history, Dundee InAdministration would be apt.

Considering Dundee were first it’s United that should change really. Doesn’t make sense as a name anyway, considering they weren’t formed as a combination of clubs and had another major club already there. Imagine Cove rebranding to Aberdeen United [emoji23].

Don’t let that get in the way of a good troll though.