The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

34 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

A lot of pretending to be confused here when it's obvious that the Big Seven are the seven clubs in the country's four biggest cities. There's literally no thought given to this outside of "they have the biggest stadiums and the biggest attendances." It's the Willie Miller classic of Needing Big Clubs in the top flight because that's... better.

Partick Thistle

Queens Park

Celtic

Rangers

Aberdeen

Dundee

Dundee United

Hearts 

Hibs

Edinburgh City

I make that 10 League clubs in Scotland's four biggest cities. 

20 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Based solely on a quick Google search, the phrase "big seven" didn't exist on the internet in this context until about 9 hours ago. The earliest mention I can see was in the Dundee Courier,  so it's entirely possible this was originally the work of some 16-year work experience student in the newsroom getting overly excited about the Dark Blues' unexpected return to the big time.

The blame lies with STV for publishing it but it's not an in-house article. Written by PA Media (aka the Press Association).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57610406

Hearts' Saturday friendly with Linlithgow Rose went ahead, despite five positive Covid-19 tests cancelling Friday's game with Berwick Rangers.

Liam Boyce scored twice as Hearts beat the junior side 6-0 at Prestonfield.

They haven't been "a junior side" for over 3yrs now FFS.

On 26/06/2021 at 23:25, HibeeJibee said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57610406

They haven't been "a junior side" for over 3yrs now FFS.

Its been 8 years since the SPFL was formed and a hell of a lot of people cant get that right. So I'd say it'll be a good decade before the idea clubs like Linlithgow Rose arent juniors.

8 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Its been 8 years since the SPFL was formed and a hell of a lot of people cant get that right. So I'd say it'll be a good decade before the idea clubs like Linlithgow Rose arent juniors.

It'll be longer than that. Most folk don't know what the distinction is between non-league and Junior and, more importantly, don't care.

Having nothing better to do, I fired this off to the BBC - "Re News report on Rangers' McKee receiving 4 match ban. Once again your reporter shows a lamentable lack of knowledge about Scottish football. Despite being relegated Brechin City will still be playing in a SENIOR league next season, the Highland League is a senior league.
Brechin City were members of the Scottish League in the 1920s and 30s, so have been in the NATIONAL leagues for more than 67 years.
Indeed, it could be argued that C Division (in which Brechin played post World War 2, before being promoted in 1953-54)  was a "senior" league, too, containing as it did, at various times, Stirling Albion, Leith Athletic, Brechin City, East Stirlingshire, Dumbarton, Forfar Athletic, Montrose, Edinburgh City, Stranraer and Berwick Rangers.
It's high time the BBC educated its journalists about the structure of Scottish football., past and present"

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Having nothing better to do, I fired this off to the BBC - "Re News report on Rangers' McKee receiving 4 match ban. Once again your reporter shows a lamentable lack of knowledge about Scottish football. Despite being relegated Brechin City will still be playing in a SENIOR league next season, the Highland League is a senior league.
Brechin City were members of the Scottish League in the 1920s and 30s, so have been in the NATIONAL leagues for more than 67 years.
Indeed, it could be argued that C Division (in which Brechin played post World War 2, before being promoted in 1953-54)  was a "senior" league, too, containing as it did, at various times, Stirling Albion, Leith Athletic, Brechin City, East Stirlingshire, Dumbarton, Forfar Athletic, Montrose, Edinburgh City, Stranraer and Berwick Rangers.
It's high time the BBC educated its journalists about the structure of Scottish football., past and present"

Intae the useless mugwumps.

Same non reply as I got the last time - "Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments. We appreciate all the feedback we receive as it plays an important role in helping to shape our decisions. 

This is an automated message (sorry that we can’t reply individually) to let you know that we’ve read your comments and will report them overnight to staff across the BBC for them to read too (after removing any personal details). This includes our programme makers, commissioning editors and senior management. 

Thanks again for contacting the BBC. 

BBC Audience Services."