The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

STV giving the Scottish Premiership a touch of "The Barclays" by talking about a "Big Seven"

https://news.stv.tv/sport/football/six-classic-recent-derbies-with-big-seven-back-in-premiership?top

They call it "the traditional ‘big seven" but I can't say I've ever heard it being used until this very article.

Based solely on a quick Google search, the phrase "big seven" didn't exist on the internet in this context until about 9 hours ago. The earliest mention I can see was in the Dundee Courier,  so it's entirely possible this was originally the work of some 16-year work experience student in the newsroom getting overly excited about the Dark Blues' unexpected return to the big time.

2 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

STV giving the Scottish Premiership a touch of "The Barclays" by talking about a "Big Seven"

https://news.stv.tv/sport/football/six-classic-recent-derbies-with-big-seven-back-in-premiership?top

They call it "the traditional ‘big seven" but I can't say I've ever heard it being used until this very article.

Who is the seventh?

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

Who is the seventh?

Not us, would you believe.

I'm actually slightly surprised the last time the supposed "big seven" were together was as recently as 2005. With Dundee, Dundee United and Hearts in the mix, and Rangers all-too-short period of exile, it feels like it should be a lot longer ago.

That’s hilarious. How have the traditional big seven fared recently? Big seven?

By what possible measure - not preceding colour television - would Dundee be part of a "Big" anything 🤔.

I suppose until recently Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen + Dundee United (plus Kilmarnock + Motherwell) were a sort of "Big 6" (or "8") as they'd been fixtures in top tier since 1990s.

However since 2012 you've had Rangers go bust and spend 4 seasons outwith elite level... Hearts relegated twice and bounce-back... Hibs spend 3yrs down... Dundee Utd spend 4yrs...

I'm also unconvinced you can have any sort of "Big 6" or "7" or "8" in a division of 12 😃.

As we all know, the logic behind the "big six" label in England is that they have actually consistently all finished as the top six, doing so as recently as three seasons running from 16/17 to 18/19. Obviously you sometimes have outliers breaking in and some of the six taking turns to be pish like Arsenal just now, but although you had two clubs outwith that group in 5th & 6th this season you're always likely to have five of them make it.

This supposed "big seven" in Scotland have literally finished as the top seven together once in history, in 87/88.

Even looking at six of the seven being the top six, that did happen fairly often in the 70s & 80s: 69/70 it was Aberdeen who didn't make it, 71/72 & 73/74 Dundee Utd were the missing one, 74/75 it was Hearts, 85/86 & 86/87 was Hibs, 88/89 Dundee, then again in 91/92 when Dundee weren't even in the top flight. However it then didn't happen again until 08/09 when again Dundee weren't in the top flight and it hasn't happened since, so even six of them being the best six has only happened once in the last 29 seasons.

Not sure we can base an alleged big seven on something that has happened once in the entire history of Scottish football.

A lot of pretending to be confused here when it's obvious that the Big Seven are the seven clubs in the country's four biggest cities. There's literally no thought given to this outside of "they have the biggest stadiums and the biggest attendances." It's the Willie Miller classic of Needing Big Clubs in the top flight because that's... better.

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

By what possible measure - not preceding colour television - would Dundee be part of a "Big" anything 🤔.

I suppose until recently Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen + Dundee United (plus Kilmarnock + Motherwell) were a sort of "Big 6" (or "8") as they'd been fixtures in top tier since 1990s.

However since 2012 you've had Rangers go bust and spend 4 seasons outwith elite level... Hearts relegated twice and bounce-back... Hibs spend 3yrs down... Dundee Utd spend 4yrs...

I'm also unconvinced you can have any sort of "Big 6" or "7" or "8" in a division of 12 😃.

So really we've just a big two...

28 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

A lot of pretending to be confused here when it's obvious that the Big Seven are the seven clubs in the country's four biggest cities. There's literally no thought given to this outside of "they have the biggest stadiums and the biggest attendances." It's the Willie Miller classic of Needing Big Clubs in the top flight because that's... better.

By which logic Cove Rangers should be the 8th ahead of town teams like Killie, St Johnstone and Motherwell