The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

7 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Daily Record levels of pish dot com

Has Magee tweeted himself into another punting, or a voluntary withdrawal? Any ideas @Flybhoy?

I got a straight red card last month for one or fifty too many jokes about the Chooky Embra after his passing, I obviously offended a few gammons. 😎😁

Got a new account a couple of weeks ago. 

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I got a straight red card last month for one or fifty too many jokes about the Chooky Embra after his passing, I obviously offended a few gammons. 😎😁

Got a new account a couple of weeks ago. 

😄

I got a tweet deleted and 12 hours on the naughty step for asking whether the Duke had actually been a long sequel to Weekend At Bernie’s since the last time he crashed the motor.

Guest TheJTS98

Football Weekly podcast this week pointing out that at Steve Clarke's press conference pertaining to the Scotland Euro 2020 squad he was asked the following searching and interesting questions. My suggested answers added.

"Was it hard to phone the players left out to let them know?" - No. Easy as f**k. Their pain sustains me.

"Are you happy with the balance of the squad?" - No. I'm not happy with the squad I've just spent ages picking. It's a shite squad. We're fucked and I'm happy to say so in public.

"Does it mean more to pick this squad because it's a major tournament?" - No. No big deal, really. You fucking simpleton.

What is the point of this shite? How do these charlatans get a wage?

I never had a problem with people like Strachan getting a bit wide with stupid questions from the media. Maybe if more managers did it, we might end up with some actually thoughtful and interesting questions at press conferences leading to managers and coaches saying something worth putting in a newspaper.

These journalists get away with asking pointless questions to get quotes to fill space with pointless articles. A waste of time, space, and money.

Edited by TheJTS98

3 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

These journalists get away with asking pointless questions to get quotes to fill space with pointless articles. A waste of time, space, and money.

These nonsense questions annoy the hell out of me too. The other side of the argument is that journalists seem actively discouraged to ask a challenging or controversial question at the risk of being banned. The world of football journalism is a farce really.

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, Northboy said:

These nonsense questions annoy the hell out of me too. The other side of the argument is that journalists seem actively discouraged to ask a challenging or controversial question at the risk of being banned. The world of football journalism is a farce really.

I think it's a fair point that these questions just reflect the culture of journalism. Don't rock the boat, be mates with everyone with any kind of influence, get 'stories' that are easy to hang a formulaic tabloid article around.

But I'm not suggesting they ask aggressive gotcha questions. Just interesting ones. In this instance maybe go a bit deeper about what he knows about our opponents and how that influenced his choices in specific areas. Maybe get him to identify a couple of players he thought were unluckiest to miss out and explain his thinking. Is there a recent tournament side he thinks we can learn valuable things from?

Whatever. Just questions that make him tell us things we might not already know. You or I could have answered those three questions for Clarke and the write-up would have been just the same as what he said. It's absolutely pitiful journalism to have access to the national team manager and ask him three questions that a member of the public could easily predict his answers to.

It's been discussed on here before, but a combination of the loss of status for sports journalism diluting the talent pool and the village mentality of everyone knowing each other has left Scotland with a really poor quality of football media.

Edited by TheJTS98

2 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

I think it's a fair point that these questions just reflect the culture of journalism. Don't rock the boat, be mates with everyone with any kind of influence, get 'stories' that are easy to hang a formulaic tabloid article around.

I think that's true, particularly in sports and entertainment journalism .

7 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Football Weekly podcast this week pointing out that at Steve Clarke's press conference pertaining to the Scotland Euro 2020 squad he was asked the following searching and interesting questions. My suggested answers added.

"Was it hard to phone the players left out to let them know?" - No. Easy as f**k. Their pain sustains me.

"Are you happy with the balance of the squad?" - No. I'm not happy with the squad I've just spent ages picking. It's a shite squad. We're fucked and I'm happy to say so in public.

"Does it mean more to pick this squad because it's a major tournament?" - No. No big deal, really. You fucking simpleton.

They picked that up from Max Rushden who was doing coverage for TalkSport at the time. When they went back to the studio, he absolutely tore the interviewers apart. 

"Do you think you have a chance of qualifying out of the group?" Probably not. 

He made bit of an apology to Scottish reporters saying he knows it isn't easy, but he was absolutely bang on. 

48 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

A professional... Journalist has spent a few days coming up with that....? 🤔

Changed on the website now I believe.

47 minutes ago, bennett said:

The article is behind a paywall, what's the gist of it?

No idea, it's behind a paywall. 😉

Only a slavering idiot would pay to open that clickbait.

37 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Changed on the website now I believe.

No idea, it's behind a paywall. 😉

Only a slavering idiot would pay to open that clickbait.

Harsh on Positive Sometimes.

13 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Q. Was it hard to leave Ryan Gauld ( potm ) out the squad ?

A.   Who ?

On 18/05/2021 at 22:58, Arch Stanton said:

John Cochrane was the first to achieve the feat, winning the Scottish Cup with St. Mirren in 1926 and the English FA Cup with Sunderland in 1937.

I tweeted that to Lineker to correct his error.

Did you get a reply ?

13 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

What is the point of this shite? How do these charlatans get a wage?

I never had a problem with people like Strachan getting a bit wide with stupid questions from the media. Maybe if more managers did it, we might end up with some actually thoughtful and interesting questions at press conferences leading to managers and coaches saying something worth putting in a newspaper.

Or they go over the top with stupid questions to managers whose coats are on shoogly pegs

5 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

There paywall is technically crap.

Open the article in Reader mode, press F5 and the whole text appears.

I has very little to do with football and mainly about shome shit anecdote about a club being shut for noise complaints

In an explosive rant and tantrum, they slapped us with an indefinite reduction in our trading hours, which in effect was the worse of the three punishments, as it stopped us from being able to trade properly and there was no appeal process.

What was it our lawyer said that had enraged the uncompromising purple-faced members of the board and forced then to self-combust and kill our club? What well researched, proven, sensible but insulting solution did he offer up that would eventually cost us fortunes in a judicial review, one year later, to put right?

He suggested that on leaving the premises, the punters should be given lollipops to suck and that that would keep them quiet.

I can laugh about it all now but back then I was traumatised and in shock because he was right. Research in England had conclusively proven that eating sweets on the way out did mitigate noise pollution and reduce disorder. Sadly that evidence cut no slack with the board, it just severed our income.