The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 hour ago, resk said:

Yes, the playoffs are starting tomorrow.  I just went to Football, Score and Fixtures and they don't show on there whereas the normal L1 and L2 fixtures are shown.  But you are right, if you can track down the Scottish football section it does show Pars v Rovers tomorrow.  I partially withdraw my objection.  

I forgot about championship. We were both right (or wrong).

13 hours ago, resk said:

It's the BBC, so it isn't really surprising, but with the numerous Scottish league playoffs starting tomorrow night, our national broadcaster has precisely zero of the matches listed in their football fixtures.  They've captured the full card of Turkish Super Lig games on Saturday though, so that's okay.  

These games shouldnt just be getting mentioned in the fixture section though.

One is a local derby where the smaller sized club go in as favourites.

And the other is a play off game over a year in waiting.

Proper good and easy narratives to tell for both games. If anyone in the BBC actually cared about promoting Scottish football that is.

23 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Kelty v Brora tomorrow as well

You certainly wouldn’t know that by reading the fixtures for tonight on the BBC Scotland website. It was only because the STV News mentioned it at lunchtime that I knew it was on tonight. 

Fixtures finally include the Fife derby, but no Keltonian/Brorarian clash listed.

On a happier note, here's a fixture* for you: Lumphinnans (A). Doesn't get more glamorous than that!!

*My laddie's season restarts tonight!

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

30 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The lack of coverage of what Stewart Petrie and Montrose have done over the last four and a half years is criminal. Petrie took over Montrose in December 2016 when they were Club 42 and had spent 21 consecutive seasons in the bottom division. At the end of that season he had them in the playoffs. The season after Montrose won the league, then into the League 1 playoffs at first time of asking. Last season they were in a playoff spot again when the season was called, and now in the last few weeks they have beaten Cove, Falkirk and Partick Thistle to make the League 1 playoffs again. In my mind that is a sensational four and a half years for an unfashionable, seaside town, from a club that John Collins would have nowhere near the SPFL. The only credit they get is from A View From The Terrace guys, and well done to them for that.

That's unfair on John Collins. He'd let them in the SPFL, they'd just have no voting rights and Celtic/Rangers would have free reign to parachute whatever kids team they wanted into whatever league, because they don't have enough fans. It would not be disrespectful. 

13 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Scottish 'Sportswriters' nominating a guy who has only started four games this season for Young Player of the Year shows their total ignorance of Scottish Football

Most of them are raging ***s, so it stands to reason.

19 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Scottish 'Sportswriters' nominating a guy who has only started four games this season for Young Player of the Year shows their total ignorance of Scottish Football

Patterson's started eight games this season IIRC - 3x Europa League, 3x Premiership, 2x Scottish Cup. Played 14 games all in, a total of 862 minutes.

It's not enough to get him YPOTY, and he shouldn't be on the shortlist, but it's not like he hasn't played a game of football either.

It's a two horse race between Doig and Turnbull for the award.

52 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Montrose are an SPFL team and have been since the SPFL started.

Was John Collins saying they should be expelled from the SPFL? 

He said that the bulk of Leagues 1 & 2 should not be part of the big boys league system and should have no voting rights. They should play in Community club leagues.

31 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

He said that the bulk of Leagues 1 & 2 should not be part of the big boys league system and should have no voting rights. They should play in Community club leagues.

What a c**t.

how does the voting system work these days?

It was completely fucked when you needed to vote against the arsecheeks but the 10/2 system fucked it. (if you know what I mean) 

how does the voting system work these days?

It was completely fucked when you needed to vote against the arsecheeks but the 10/2 system fucked it. (if you know what I mean) 

Not sure what Morton have to do with it.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

The fact c***s like him continually get air time to voice their utter drivel is part of the infuriating bit. Its a fucking nonsense stance to take.

What was his reasoning behind this view? Other than an attitude of how dare the likes of Stenhousemuir have equal voting rights to Celtic/Rangers*.

Imagine taking that stance for political elections. "Sorry pal, you cant vote in this election because your salary isnt above £100k a year and you've not got over 5,000 followers on Instagram". 

8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

The lack of coverage of what Stewart Petrie and Montrose have done over the last four and a half years is criminal.

It has been well-noted in Dunfermline anyway! We will bring him home sooner or later. 

The Collins drivel would be a close relation of the shite Strachan was out with last year about how "to call yourself a league team you should have to be full time" or some utter shite like that.  Melt.