The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

His brother has a better chance of a call up than him. (By all accounts has done very well this year) That says it all.

You mean Australia international Harry Souttar?

8 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Didn't think he'd actually been capped but I guess you worked that out for yourself.

Not that I follow his career extremely closely.

I just saw "Souttar" popping up as a scorer for Australia on the old Fotmob and checked it out.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

The most baffling bit is this belief he's the "best footballing defender in Scotland".

A myth built up when he was 17, when amongst a sea of clogging 40yo men he was actually running with the ball, that lingers on to this day when everyone, including Scottish football, has moved on, yet Souttar still remains a CB who can't defend but likes to trundle up the park every so often.

What is "footballing defender" supposed to mean? Are there footballers who play as a defender who aren't... er, footballing? Can you play defence in football without footballing?

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

What is "footballing defender" supposed to mean? Are there footballers who play as a defender who aren't... er, footballing? Can you play defence in football without footballing?

He's "comfortable on the ball", and a "great passer", which for a CB is the equivalent of "good laugh"/"great personality".

15 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

"Sunday mail chief football writer"

He's played what... 5 games in a year in the Championship?

That's as bad a comment as Peter Martin's on Ryan Gauld on his PLZ "show".

"He's played mostly 2nd division football"

4 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

That's as bad a comment as Peter Martin's on Ryan Gauld on his PLZ "show".

"He's played mostly 2nd division football"

Even worse, Peter Martin went on and then blocked people that pointed out he was wrong.

12 minutes ago, gastropod said:

Sure i saw a League table on the Beeb at Raith v Hearts which had Hearts playing 37 games , while everybody else had only 27 ..How can anybody get off with that kind of misinformation  SACK ABODY.

Yes, you did. Still everything to play for in the Championship, apparently.

6 hours ago, gastropod said:

Sure i saw a League table on the Beeb at Raith v Hearts which had Hearts playing 37 games , while everybody else had only 27 ..How can anybody get off with that kind of misinformation  SACK ABODY.

That's only fair tbh, seeing as Hearts were apparently the only side who didn't get to play their "full allocation of fixtures" last season.

Kris Boyd - "it's a lot easier for teams to win away from home this season, no fans means games aren't as intimidating. Rangers deserve huge credit for coping with that and remaining unbeaten away from home, because its never easy away from home"

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kris Boyd - "it's a lot easier for teams to win away from home this season, no fans means games aren't as intimidating. Rangers deserve huge credit for coping with that and remaining unbeaten away from home, because its never easy away from home"

You had me at Kris Boyd

It's the BBC, so it isn't really surprising, but with the numerous Scottish league playoffs starting tomorrow night, our national broadcaster has precisely zero of the matches listed in their football fixtures.  They've captured the full card of Turkish Super Lig games on Saturday though, so that's okay.  

19 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The playoffs aren't starting tomorrow and all the fixtures for tomorrow are listed on the Scottish football section 

Yes, the playoffs are starting tomorrow.  I just went to Football, Score and Fixtures and they don't show on there whereas the normal L1 and L2 fixtures are shown.  But you are right, if you can track down the Scottish football section it does show Pars v Rovers tomorrow.  I partially withdraw my objection.  

Edited by resk