The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Presumably the League Cup and the Scottish Cup dont merit part of a "Double dream" for St Johnstone?

The Guardian with its finger up Rangers hoop  on the pulse of Scottish football yet again..................

image.png.127b3bf8c32da9b3a6b21b42956ec572.png

Roger Mitchell is a grade A helmet. I'd love someone to fly to Italy and punch his specs aff.

On the Women's game. I don't have issues with it's place in the press. I like they are actively trying to promote it ( I think maybe a bit to hard at times but I tend to think they are trying to go down the Sky route of in yer face so believe the hype). I have watched a few of the bigger tourneys in the past and the problem is always the same. Most teams have 2 or 3 great players. 4 or 5 who look like they have kicked the ball before, 2 or 3 who got a game cos they turn up to training and the goalie. 

55 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Roger Mitchell is a grade A helmet. I'd love someone to fly to Italy and punch his specs aff.

On the Women's game. I don't have issues with it's place in the press. I like they are actively trying to promote it ( I think maybe a bit to hard at times but I tend to think they are trying to go down the Sky route of in yer face so believe the hype). I have watched a few of the bigger tourneys in the past and the problem is always the same. Most teams have 2 or 3 great players. 4 or 5 who look like they have kicked the ball before, 2 or 3 who got a game cos they turn up to training and the goalie. 

I know it’s not a welcome view from the Women but full size goals means a speculative lob is likely to go in.  Maybe it is different at a world class level but in SWPL games you get 11-0 results.  Compare Hibs goalie on Saturday to the 5 foot 2 girls that defend the same size goals.

46 minutes ago, ropy said:

I know it’s not a welcome view from the Women but full size goals means a speculative lob is likely to go in.  Maybe it is different at a world class level but in SWPL games you get 11-0 results.  Compare Hibs goalie on Saturday to the 5 foot 2 girls that defend the same size goals.

The average height of a current female goalkeeper is the same as the average height of a male goalkeeper was when the dimensions of the goals were added to the laws of the game. I also strongly suspect that current female goalkeepers are more athletic and agile than their historic male counterparts.

3 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

The average height of a current female goalkeeper is the same as the average height of a male goalkeeper was when the dimensions of the goals were added to the laws of the game. I also strongly suspect that current female goalkeepers are more athletic and agile than their historic male counterparts.

I stongly suspect that you haven't watched many games of womens football.

46 minutes ago, ropy said:

Surely the drubbings that are handed out are more to do with the limited pool of good players all playing for the same 3 or 4 teams and the other teams being made up of massively inferior players?

On the subject of size of goals, thats surely something for those within women's football to decide rather than people who follow mens football and just compare the two directly? I have no idea if women in the game want smaller goals or not, but if playing with regular sized goals means more goals and more long range efforts that can be shared on social media it could mean they attract more fans who want to see such goals? 

19 hours ago, House Bartender said:

The Herald's "Sports Quiz" today... 

Question 4. "Rangers FC beat Celtic FC 2-0 to win the Scottish Cup earlier this month for the first time since which year?"

That'll be the Glasgow Herald - the tournament ends when the last of them goes out.

Michty me. 

Another month another journo thinking everything below the SPFL isn't senior football

The offending bit in question:

Famous hedge or not, Brechin have no divine right to stay in senior football. While they can still save themselves on the pitch they don’t want to take chances.

Edited by GNU_Linux

6 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Aye, it used to annoy me when Edinburgh City were in the East of Scotland League and we got described as amateurs when playing in Scottish Cup.games.

We hadn't been amateurs since 1949 although our treasurer would have been happier if we were.

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

"Sunday mail chief football writer"

He's played what... 5 games in a year in the Championship?

"Please buy our paper, anyone, for fucks sake, cash, card or cheque.  There, I've said it".  

13 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

"Sunday mail chief football writer"

He's played what... 5 games in a year in the Championship?

The most baffling bit is this belief he's the "best footballing defender in Scotland".

A myth built up when he was 17, when amongst a sea of clogging 40yo men he was actually running with the ball, that lingers on to this day when everyone, including Scottish football, has moved on, yet Souttar still remains a CB who can't defend but likes to trundle up the park every so often.

I'm only surprised after Souttar's name being mentioned that Pep isn't already here calling everyone else idiots and/or throwing about transphobic abuse.

Edited by Rodhull

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

The most baffling bit is this belief he's the "best footballing defender in Scotland".

A myth built up when he was 17, when amongst a sea of clogging 40yo men he was actually running with the ball, that lingers on to this day when everyone, including Scottish football, has moved on, yet Souttar still remains a CB who can't defend but likes to trundle up the park every so often.

His brother has a better chance of a call up than him. (By all accounts has done very well this year) That says it all.