The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

12 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

I’ve yet to see a report anywhere about last night’s Aberdeen Celtic game that even mentions Turnbull’s assault.

Quelle surprise

There is a whole story about it on the BBC Sport Scotland page though.

40 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

There is a whole story about it on the BBC Sport Scotland page though.

Went and looked for this.  It probably doesn’t meet the excessive force criteria but he should have been sent off for stupidity.  Had something happened (other than finding himself in a pish Celtic team?)

32 minutes ago, ropy said:

Went and looked for this.  It probably doesn’t meet the excessive force criteria but he should have been sent off for stupidity.  Had something happened (other than finding himself in a pish Celtic team?)

Mental that it was Collum too - loves a red card.

Steven Thompson and Michael Stewart will bring you the action from Tanndice, while Jane Lewis, Leanne Crichton and Marvin Bartley will take you through Monday's tie in Paisley.

The above is taken from the BBC website’s build up for this weekend’s Scottish Cup Quarter Finals. Were they trying to get as many errors in one sentence as is humanly possible?  I’ve got three, but probably missed a couple.

23 hours ago, G51 said:

Took a look at the teams Aberdeen and Livi can expect to face in the ECL, because curiousity got the better of me.

The below is all dependent on Rangers or Hibs winning the Scottish Cup, otherwise it'll be Hibs and Aberdeen (unless Aberdeen win the Cup, in which case it's Hibs and Livi. I think).

As it stands at the moment, both teams would be seeded in the second round of the ECL qualifiers, and to be honest there are some tricky enough ties in there. The second place side in Switzerland (Servette), Greece (Aris), 2/3/4 in Sweden (Djurgardens, Hacken, Elfsborg) are all potential ties. The rest of them are pretty straightforward.

Third round, both are unseeded, though Aberdeen have a chance to be seeded depending on upsets and when the draw is made. Seeded side range from some really soft ones (Dundalk, Dudelange, Suduva) to some proper scuddings (Basel, Copenhagen, CSKA Moscow, Feyenoord).

You can take a look at the teams here, but tbh I doubt either side are getting close to the ECL groups.

I's say its getting less and less likely that Livi will qualify

Id hope we can pass them for 5th before the end of the season, the gap is now down to 3 points and they now have a worse goal difference. The manager sounds more and more out of his depth and they are already out of the cup plus we have them at home on the last day of the season.

All 8 sides remaining in the Scottish cup will fancy their chances on the day, id put us as outsiders just now due to the draw. Who ever finishes 5th would ideally hope for a Hibs v Rangers final to give them an extra week to plan but due to Tommy Wright winning the cup with us in his first season id not rule out a run from Kilmarnock

I guess this season is a one off but there would have been many seasons in the last weekend of April where 3 sides have European football signed up , one is close to it and other 6 teams still in the hunt for one place (4 via the cup only, 1 via league or cup and 1 league only.

Surprised to see Paul Mitchell "revealing" to the UK that Kaka was once a good footballer hasn't arrived here yet.

Genuinely seems to think he's discovered an unknown gem.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It wasn't Paul Mitchell, who I guess could vaguely qualify as a journalist, it was former SPL CEO Roger Mitchell, who definitely isn't a journalist.

My bad.

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

How on earth does Roger Mitchell still manage to get himself attention?

By pissing himself publicly like this. At least he wasn't being racist, sexist or transphobic this time around, so that's something.

Edited by craigkillie

6 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

How on earth does Roger Mitchell still manage to get himself attention?

God knows. Got suckered into responding ages ago to some pish he was spouting. Been blocked ever since, the delicate flower. Wasn't even directly to him.

Boy was a clown in SPL days and is still a clown. Another of those that doesn't understand the tie to a club and that supporting a club isn't all about winning or playing Juventus, Barca, or whoever every other week.

Not Scotland, but it appears the whole thing about what clubs "deserve" has bled into BBC Englandshire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56873566

Clearly if Liverpool finish in the top 4, they deserve to be in the top 4. That's sort of the point of a league table.

This is more or less the kind of discussion you get on Sportsound every other week. Pick a random club that is ostensibly under- or over-performing and debate whether or not they "deserve" to be where they are.