The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Celtic have still to play Glasgow City. If they win their remaining 11 fixtures, including tonight, then Celtic would only theoretically require one additional draw from Glasgow City in any of their remaining fixtures. Celtic won't win the league because they aren't good enough to, but they are very clearly still in the race as it stands.

The poster was very clearly being misogynistic - he used the term "wee sisters" and also put "Old Firm" in quote marks. It is very clear that his point was "oh they're so obsessed with the Old Firm that they'll even put women's (WOMEN'S!) football at the top of the page if it involves them".

Like I said. A remote shot. The chances of such a scenario playing out are self-evidently remote. 

The inference is obviously that the poster did not think they would ever put women's football at the top of the page if it was not the Old Firm, because they are casting the bbc Scotland sport coverage as Old Firm obsessed. 

That was the source of their ire and it is quite blatantly obvious. The use of 'wee sisters' is no more and no less dismissive than the sort of terms fans would routinely throw around to refer to the old firm colts. They are having a pop at the media and the prominence they feel is only ever given to the old firm. 

17 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

It's possible to think women's football gets undue prominence without being misogynistic.

It'd be nice to have a conversation about such things without accusations of prejudice being thrown in at the first mention of gender.

Only if you think the quality of/interest in womens football is some kind of force majeure and not directly linked to misogyny and lack of opportunity.

I say give them 140 years to catch up and if it's still played to no crowds with shite goalies bin it. 

Only if you think the quality of/interest in womens football is some kind of force majeure and not directly linked to misogyny and lack of opportunity.
It's still possible to be given undue prominence though. They still have to try and find the appropriate level.

Thinking women's football is over exposed doesn't make you any more of a misogynist than thinking there's too much rowing in the Olympics makes you an aquaphobe.

It's still possible to be given undue prominence though. They still have to try and find the appropriate level.

Thinking women's football is over exposed doesn't make you any more of a misogynist than thinking there's too much rowing in the Olympics makes you an aquaphobe.

I agree. No problem with Women’s Football being covered in the press. Nothing to do with misogyny. It is over exposed for political correctness reasons. Fair enough if there is a demand. However, where is the coverage of professional male football out with the top league? Clubs with decent supports who get next to no coverage in the MSM, unless one of their players/coaches/ ball boys has a connection to either half of Scotland’s disgrace?

Champions League, Europa League & Conference League: What awaits SPFL clubs next season? - BBC Sport

Any Scottish team not called Rangers or Celtic should expect a good skelping in any European tie...apparently.

What a load of shite that article turns out to be. Yes, other Scottish teams havent exactly done well in Europe recently, but the tone of "well, they might get embarrassed" is a piss-poor and needless spin to put on it IMO.

27 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Champions League, Europa League & Conference League: What awaits SPFL clubs next season? - BBC Sport

Any Scottish team not called Rangers or Celtic should expect a good skelping in any European tie...apparently.

What a load of shite that article turns out to be. Yes, other Scottish teams havent exactly done well in Europe recently, but the tone of "well, they might get embarrassed" is a piss-poor and needless spin to put on it IMO.

Now that really is dreadful stuff. 

Took a look at the teams Aberdeen and Livi can expect to face in the ECL, because curiousity got the better of me.

The below is all dependent on Rangers or Hibs winning the Scottish Cup, otherwise it'll be Hibs and Aberdeen (unless Aberdeen win the Cup, in which case it's Hibs and Livi. I think).

As it stands at the moment, both teams would be seeded in the second round of the ECL qualifiers, and to be honest there are some tricky enough ties in there. The second place side in Switzerland (Servette), Greece (Aris), 2/3/4 in Sweden (Djurgardens, Hacken, Elfsborg) are all potential ties. The rest of them are pretty straightforward.

Third round, both are unseeded, though Aberdeen have a chance to be seeded depending on upsets and when the draw is made. Seeded side range from some really soft ones (Dundalk, Dudelange, Suduva) to some proper scuddings (Basel, Copenhagen, CSKA Moscow, Feyenoord).

You can take a look at the teams here, but tbh I doubt either side are getting close to the ECL groups.

39 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

That article is an embarrassment to who ever wrote it.

2 hours ago, CambieBud said:

I agree. No problem with Women’s Football being covered in the press. Nothing to do with misogyny. It is over exposed for political correctness reasons. Fair enough if there is a demand. However, where is the coverage of professional male football out with the top league? Clubs with decent supports who get next to no coverage in the MSM, unless one of their players/coaches/ ball boys has a connection to either half of Scotland’s disgrace?

What's wrong with political correctness?

Political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct; commonly abbreviated PC) is a term used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society.

Edited by invergowrie arab

42 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

What's wrong with political correctness?

Political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct; commonly abbreviated PC) is a term used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society.

Your spelling causes offence.

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Took a look at the teams Aberdeen and Livi can expect to face in the ECL, because curiousity got the better of me.

The below is all dependent on Rangers or Hibs winning the Scottish Cup, otherwise it'll be Hibs and Aberdeen (unless Aberdeen win the Cup, in which case it's Hibs and Livi. I think).

As it stands at the moment, both teams would be seeded in the second round of the ECL qualifiers, and to be honest there are some tricky enough ties in there. The second place side in Switzerland (Servette), Greece (Aris), 2/3/4 in Sweden (Djurgardens, Hacken, Elfsborg) are all potential ties. The rest of them are pretty straightforward.

Third round, both are unseeded, though Aberdeen have a chance to be seeded depending on upsets and when the draw is made. Seeded side range from some really soft ones (Dundalk, Dudelange, Suduva) to some proper scuddings (Basel, Copenhagen, CSKA Moscow, Feyenoord).

You can take a look at the teams here, but tbh I doubt either side are getting close to the ECL groups.

Not sure that’s the point m8. 

The tone of the article is very much ‘whoever is in a qualifier will embarrass themselves lol, and whoever gets to the group will make money, even if they embarrass themselves lol.’

it’s hardly a thought out analysis of the qualifying prospects. 

39 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not sure that’s the point m8. 

The tone of the article is very much ‘whoever is in a qualifier will embarrass themselves lol, and whoever gets to the group will make money, even if they embarrass themselves lol.’

it’s hardly a thought out analysis of the qualifying prospects. 

I know aye, I was just genuinely curious as to what kind of teams we should expect to see in the ECL. 

There are 20 Championship games a season shown live on the BBC and the league is regularly featured on Sportsound.