The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

First item in the BBC gossip for “Scottish” football today?

About the bigot twins wee sisters “old firm” derby?

They’re not even trying to hide their contempt for the rest of us now [emoji2959]

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Is women's football not important to you? Does its title race not deserve prominent coverage?

The Women's Game deserves better than to be devalued into yet another old firm wankathon by the media. 

The guy was clearly moaning about the old firm slant to the coverage. It IS terrible journalism. 

2 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

The Women's Game deserves better than to be devalued into yet another old firm wankathon by the media. 

The guy was clearly moaning about the old firm slant to the coverage. It IS terrible journalism. 

It's the most important game in the SWPL this week, because it's two of the three title contenders facing each other.

The issue appears to be the prominence affixed to this game, hence the disgust at it being the "first" item on the BBC gossip page.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Is the first story on the gossip page not about Mourinho being the next Celtic manager?

I think he meant the first story on the Sport Scotland page (it's actually the second story, and it's a preview of all the SWPL fixtures as well as a general overview of the league so far this season).

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

It's the most important game in the SWPL this week, because it's two of the three title contenders facing each other.

The issue appears to be the prominence affixed to this game, hence the disgust at it being the "first" item on the BBC gossip page.

That's fair, albeit Celtic are all but arithmetically out of it; there are two realistic title contenders and neither of them are Celtic. 

The issue is definitely the prominence given, but whether that prominence is justified on the basis of the fixture or not (it is), the assumption by the original poster was clearly that it was only getting such prominence due to it being an Old Firm women's game, and not an important women's game. 

It didn't read to me like an anti-women's football post at all, but rather an anti-old firm post. 

If I read that wrong then the guy is a walloper. Don't think I am, though. 

That's fair, albeit Celtic are all but arithmetically out of it; there are two realistic title contenders and neither of them are Celtic. 
The issue is definitely the prominence given, but whether that prominence is justified on the basis of the fixture or not (it is), the assumption by the original poster was clearly that it was only getting such prominence due to it being an Old Firm women's game, and not an important women's game. 
It didn't read to me like an anti-women's football post at all, but rather an anti-old firm post. 

There are 11 games left and Celtic are 5 points behind. In no way are they "all but arithmetically out of it".

If the championship was coming down to Rangers and Dundee United (shut up, it's my scenario) and Celtic could still win the championship would the OF game this weekend be a lead story? Yes.

4/10 of the top stories are about womens football which is excellent IMO

However, I would argue Partick going top of L1 and QP winning L2 is more important than 2 Scots playing against each other in the WPL (as it would be in EPL) and a random interview with Caroline Weir (I would say same if it was Kieran Tierney). 

These are also more important stories than the men's ones above them too. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

9 minutes ago, G51 said:

I think he meant the first story on the Sport Scotland page (it's actually the second story, and it's a preview of all the SWPL fixtures as well as a general overview of the league so far this season).

I see. Yeah I have no issue with that. 

1 minute ago, AndyDD said:

Celtic have a shot if they win tonight. They'll be two points behind Rangers and between two - five points behind Glasgow City. Even if they don't win the title, second place gets a CL spot. Those three teams are miles ahead of the rest of them, so obviously two of them playing each other is going to be the main story.

The game's also being played at Celtic Park for the first time, which is kind of a big deal.

The OP clearly didn't read the article at all, because if he did he'd realise it's a preview of the entire SWPL, including a bit about the interim Motherwell head coach trying to land the job permanently.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

If the championship was coming down to Rangers and Dundee United (shut up, it's my scenario) and Celtic could still win the championship would the OF game this weekend be a lead story? Yes.

4/10 of the top stories are about womens football which is excellent IMO

However, I would argue Partick going top of L1 and QP winning L2 is more important than 2 Scots playing against each other in the WPL (as it would be in EPL) and a random interview with Caroline Weir (I would say same if it was Kieran Tierney). 

I’ve never really liked the ‘Scottish football’ section covering minor Scots achievements in English football so I can’t get on board with that either. 

When Moyes got sacked from man United it completely consumed the Scottish football section. 

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There are 11 games left and Celtic are 5 points behind. In no way are they "all but arithmetically out of it".

They must win this game to have any realistic prospect, because the chances of Glasgow City losing their 5 point buffer is remote in the extreme, especially with such a superior goal difference. 

They can put a serious, but not fatal, dent in Rangers by winning the game. Glasgow City will then be firmly in the driving seat. Anything can happen in football, but Celtic are in last chance saloon and would still need multiple slip ups from Glasgow City. 

You'd firmly expect Glasgow City to win against Hibs. 

Once again, though, to circle back to the point; the guy you attacked seemed fairly clearly annoyed by what he felt was a focus on the Old Firm. Not a focus on the women's game. 

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

Celtic have a shot if they win tonight. They'll be two points behind Rangers and between two - five points behind Glasgow City. Even if they don't win the title, second place gets a CL spot. Those three teams are miles ahead of the rest of them, so obviously two of them playing each other is going to be the main story.

The game's also being played at Celtic Park for the first time, which is kind of a big deal.

The OP clearly didn't read the article at all, because if he did he'd realise it's a preview of the entire SWPL, including a bit about the interim Motherwell head coach trying to land the job permanently.

They have a remote shot if they win tonight, as they would be relying on a Falkirk-esque collapse from Glasgow City, which seems very unlikely. Fair point about the importance of the second place finish, though. 

The bolded section is definitely correct, aye. 

My point was that their irritation seemed to quite clearly be the OF slant they perceived rather than the women's game slant. He was accused of the opposite. 

3 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

They must win this game to have any realistic prospect, because the chances of Glasgow City losing their 5 point buffer is remote in the extreme, especially with such a superior goal difference. 

They can put a serious, but not fatal, dent in Rangers by winning the game. Glasgow City will then be firmly in the driving seat. Anything can happen in football, but Celtic are in last chance saloon and would still need multiple slip ups from Glasgow City. 

You'd firmly expect Glasgow City to win against Hibs. 

Once again, though, to circle back to the point; the guy you attacked seemed fairly clearly annoyed by what he felt was a focus on the Old Firm. Not a focus on the women's game. 

Celtic have still to play Glasgow City. If they win their remaining 11 fixtures, including tonight, then Celtic would only theoretically require one additional draw from Glasgow City in any of their remaining fixtures. Celtic won't win the league because they aren't good enough to, but they are very clearly still in the race as it stands.

The poster was very clearly being misogynistic - he used the term "wee sisters" and also put "Old Firm" in quote marks. It is very clear that his point was "oh they're so obsessed with the Old Firm that they'll even put women's (WOMEN'S!) football at the top of the page if it involves them".

To be honest if the Aberdeen men's team were sat joint top with Rangers, and Celtic were 5 behind and they gave prominence to an OF game I don't think I'd have too many complaints? Still a key game in the title race and the OF is still a prominent fixture in Scotland. The issue is the blanket coverage to the detriment of everyone else. In my hypothetical scenario, if they completely ignored Aberdeen's game then fair enough I'd be annoyed.

Maybe the terrible element of this is that an entire fixture card has been summarised into one short article which forces a headline as that one.

My point was more why this has only happened this week and not previously, for the women’s league. There have been plenty “crunch” games in the preceding weeks but this week is the first time the SWPL is given precedence, why?