The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don't have much issue with him contesting the length of ban based on context.

The framing of it as damaging to Scotland is quite laughable, however.

Reading it again, i don’t know if he is saying that:

Asked if he felt the ban might hamper the right-back's hopes of forcing his way into Scotland's European Championship squad, Gerrard said: "I'm not saying that at all. 

"That's Steve Clarke's decision. I know Steve rates him. We've had a discussion over Nathan.

"He's burst onto the scene, played against top teams and individuals and you can see there is a talent and potential there.

"It's only a matter of time before he becomes an international. That's not putting any pressure on the player. But those decisions are down to Steve."

I dunno, it’s an odd couple of quotes that don’t really make sense. It’s pretty obvious that as soon as Clarke feels Patterson is experienced enough, he’s going to get into the squad. Partly because he’s producing at Tavernier-esque levels, and partly because we have nothing else there. I doubt those four games are going to be the difference between making the squad and not making it.

Obviously player ability shouldn’t be a factor in the level of punishment, nor should availability for Scotland.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Reading it again, i don’t know if he is saying that:

I dunno, it’s an odd couple of quotes that don’t really make sense. It’s pretty obvious that as soon as Clarke feels Patterson is experienced enough, he’s going to get into the squad. Partly because he’s producing at Tavernier-esque levels, and partly because we have nothing else there. I doubt those four games are going to be the difference between making the squad and not making it.

Obviously player ability shouldn’t be a factor in the level of punishment, nor should availability for Scotland.

"I'm not too happy over that and I'm not sure Steve Clarke will be very happy as well," said Gerrard.

"Because, unfortunately, he's going to have a big ban now."

"You're talking about one of the brightest prospects ever in terms of right-back. This kid is going to go and play for Scotland and all of a sudden the SFA wants to ban him for that long. I don't get it."

You could argue about what he actually meant I suppose but it's a terrible argument for how to run a disciplinary process at the very least.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

"I'm not too happy over that and I'm not sure Steve Clarke will be very happy as well," said Gerrard.

"You're talking about one of the brightest prospects ever in terms of right-back. This kid is going to go and play for Scotland and all of a sudden the SFA wants to ban him for that long. I don't get it."

You could argue about what he actually meant I suppose but it's a terrible argument for how to run a disciplinary process at the very least.

Sure is. I expect we’ll hear more about it during the week.

Gerrard certainly isn’t doing anything to cool the hype about Patterson anyway

Aw! C'mon - the boy's still learning. In this case hopefully he's learned that rules/laws are in place for a reason and that ignoring them can come at a cost.  And with any luck the experience will install a wee bit more discipline in his professional life. 

"Ah know the manager said "Don't drift into the middle, stay on the wing" but ah didn't think it'd matter much, ken?"

30 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Jings and I thought Rodgers was the biggest slaverer we've seen in recent times. Gerrard keeps coming out with utter tripe.

I think he gets a bit of a bye ball 'cos he's a Scouser.

13 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Of course, it might have something to do with how past Scotland caps have thrown the dummy out the pram regarding representing their country when the SFA impose match bans.

BBC breakfast just informed me that Queen of the south knocked hearts out in the last round of the Scottish cup, but couldn’t get past hibs. 

ETA:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55776818

This minter of a quote from the above:

With the lack of an Edinburgh derby on the fixture list, one way for Hibs fans to get one over their capital rivals Hearts was to put away the side that had defeated their Championship neighbours 3-2 just over a week ago.

Edited by Dons_1988

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

BBC breakfast just informed me that Queen of the south knocked hearts out in the last round of the Scottish cup, but couldn’t get past hibs. 

ETA:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55776818

This minter of a quote from the above:

With the lack of an Edinburgh derby on the fixture list, one way for Hibs fans to get one over their capital rivals Hearts was to put away the side that had defeated their Championship neighbours 3-2 just over a week ago.

It was in the league, but nowhere in the article does it claim it was in the cup.

CBE1B163-0CB7-4765-86EE-9EB388DF3B6F.jpeg.e16224bfe5e7279c035bd9d6d0a87ec4.jpeg

1 minute ago, Funky Nosejob said:

It was in the league, but nowhere in the article does it claim it was in the cup.

Aye, that was my reading of it too, but it was a bit ambiguously written, imo.

6 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Sorry, I should be clear.

- The UK BBC breakfast sports bulletin on tv claimed QotS knocked out Hearts in the previosu round

- Separately, I read the linked report and just thought the quote re Hibs motivation in the cup being to get one over Hearts by beating them was cringey/nonsense.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Sorry, I should be clear.

- The UK BBC breakfast sports bulletin on tv claimed QotS knocked out Hearts in the previosu round

- Separately, I read the linked report and just thought the quote re Hibs motivation in the cup being to get one over Hearts by beating them was cringey/nonsense.

Fair enough. No excuses for the tv bulletin. 

I think the point that is clumsily being made by Gerrard is that in the context of what actually happened (5 lads from the club and their partners playing a game of Monopoly), a six game ban is disproportionate when compared to other rule breakers this season. Jones and Edmundson had a party with a pile of Glasgow influencers, trying to get their hole in the process, and only got one game more. Bolingoli actually left the country, got his end away, went back into training and shared a pitch with another club when he was most likely to be infectious and got a game less. You can argue the toss on which is more severe because there’s an element of subjectivity to interpreting these rules, but I don’t think it’s ridiculous to hold the opinion that one of those infractions is significantly less severe than the other two, yet the punishments don’t reflect that.
The bit about damaging career prospects etc. I don’t really get. Though I’ve said for a while now on here that Gerrard rates Patterson very highly, so it’s interesting to see that reflected in his comments

Breaking rules to play Monopoly deserves a bigger ban than breaking rules trying to get your hole imo.

24 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Breaking rules to play Monopoly deserves a bigger ban than breaking rules trying to get your hole imo.

What about trying to get your hole off your missus through a game of Monopoly?