The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

24 minutes ago, Ric said:

Tom English coining "the banter years" as his tagline. Clearly he is a regular to this forum so in that sense... * waves * .. hiya, Tom, hiya pal!

Unusually for Tom English it's a good article so it's obvious that he's lifted content from the "Chronicles of the Banter Years" thread

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The phrase "The Banter Years" is not exclusive to Pie and Bovril.

Do not take an opportunity for us to bash the shiteness of Tom English away from us, please.

Guest Flash
16 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Unusually for Tom English it's a good article so it's obvious that he's lifted content from the "Chronicles of the Banter Years" thread

I know it isn’t that important but he might have got his facts right concerning the Challenge Cup. He says “Then they lost in the Challenge Cup final to Raith Rovers. The season after that they lost in the Challenge Cup semi-final to Queen of the South”.
They lost to Queens in the season before they lost to Raith Rovers. And it was the quarter-final. 

Just listening to Ally McCoist on Radio Ulster talking about "Rangers getting put down to the bottom league." 

Just for balance we then had John Hartson tying himself in knots justifying why there should be no guard of honour at the next Celtic v Rangers game. Talked about "four quadruple trebles".

Edited by Jacksgranda

On 10/03/2021 at 07:27, true_rover said:
On 10/03/2021 at 07:25, craigkillie said:
The phrase "The Banter Years" is not exclusive to Pie and Bovril.

According to Tom English it was a Celtic fans thing...

Someone should tell him it refers to Hearts under Ann Budges stewardship...

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Just listening to Ally McCoist on Radio Ulster talking about "Rangers getting put down to the bottom league." 

Just for balance we then had John Hartson tying himself in knots justifying why there should be no guard of honour at the next Celtic v Rangers game. Talked about "four quadruple trebles".

I'd imagine that any bar he owned wouldn't be in business too long. 

6 hours ago, G51 said:

This might be an all-timer for those of us who enjoy it when the press mistakes correlation for causation.

Clickbait for the facebook mouthbreathers that one - and its made worse because those areas (badly hit tho the are) are not the worst hit - iirc Inverclyde (for one) has had a worse death rate...............

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Having seen the guy try to defend it on Twitter, it's not clickbait, he's just quite thick and doesn't understand it.

I was at uni with him and he was an arse back then. Seems things haven't changed. Nicola Sturgeon getting stuck into his Pestonesque questioning technique during her daily briefings has been one of my highlights of lockdown.

Refuse to click his link (and it'll be behind a paywall anyway) but how is he claiming football stadiums are responsible for a rise in cases when they've been shut to fans for a year?

Edited by Stu

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

I was at uni with him and he was an arse back then. Seems things haven't changed. Nicola Sturgeon getting stuck into his Pestonesque questioning technique during her daily briefings has been one of my highlights of lockdown.

Refuse to click his link (and it'll be behind a paywall anyway) but how is he claiming football stadiums are responsible for a rise in cases when they've been shut to fans for a year?

Because they hosted games right at the very start of the pandemic, basically. Even though Parkhead last hosted a game with fans when there were a total of 7 confirmed cases in Scotland.

On 10/03/2021 at 09:52, Flash said:

I know it isn’t that important but he might have got his facts right concerning the Challenge Cup. He says “Then they lost in the Challenge Cup final to Raith Rovers. The season after that they lost in the Challenge Cup semi-final to Queen of the South”.
They lost to Queens in the season before they lost to Raith Rovers. And it was the quarter-final. 

BBC influence

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Not sure this quite gets into the terrible camp but still typical BBC. 

Referring to John Hughes as the formal Hibs manager while he's commentating on the Inverness & Raith game... 🤦‍♂️

I’m just amazed they didn’t call him the former Celtic centre half