The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Hell of a way of saying "AC Milan are signing a centre back"

Which has been on the cards for weeks now. Reports from Italian media have been very clear - Simaken was first choice but he's off to RB Leipzig so back up option of Tomori is who they are getting.

What about studies on the effect of these boulders on us kids who played in the 70s and 80s at school, for the BBs, etc?
I can still hear the PYOOIIIIINNG as one of them leathered  (no pun intended) off some poor bugger.
image.png.0b0ede391076797e0390e03d672e2e3d.png
I remember scoring direct from a corner with that very ball. I say direct from a corner, it was a bumpy frosty pitch I skidded it in low (I took corners as I was able to at least hit the ball hard enough to make the box, forget any loft) and a couple of defensive swipe and misses later and it crept in at an unguarded back post. Magic stuff (BB game on pitches behind the church on the Dreghorn / Bourtreehill border)

6 hours ago, G51 said:

6 hours ago, G51 said:

Is that the transfer Ajer was relying on to take him to the big time ?

42 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Celtic: 'Neil Lennon a colossus reduced to caretaker by board's inaction' - BBC Sport

If you were to choose a word beginning with C to describe Neil Lennon, would you go with Colossus?

11 domestic major trophies as a player and 10 as a manager at Celtic. 

However, your point is still valid.

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

English's basic point about how the board are letting Lennon down by not just putting him out of his misery has merit but the over the top praise for him is pretty painful to read

As much as I’m not Lennon's biggest fan, it’s completely understandable why he isn’t resigning from his role and at the same time waiving the right to be paid up his contract that Celtic offered him. In my job, if I signed a contract of employment for a specific amount of time, and the stipulations of that contract allowed me to be paid if the contract ended prematurely, you can bet I’m hanging on until I get that money, and I’m sure most others on here would be the same.

A few Celtic fans in my work keep saying Lennon now has to resign, that he should realise the anger from the fans and that he isn’t going any further with this team and walk away, doing himself out of hundreds of thousands of pounds in the process. I’m sure if he ‘mutually agreed’ to leave he would be able to cut himself a nice deal from Celtic, but there is absolutely no blame on him staying and carrying out the job he’s contracted to. 

3 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

As much as I’m not Lennon's biggest fan, it’s completely understandable why he isn’t resigning from his role and at the same time waiving the right to be paid up his contract that Celtic offered him. In my job, if I signed a contract of employment for a specific amount of time, and the stipulations of that contract allowed me to be paid if the contract ended prematurely, you can bet I’m hanging on until I get that money, and I’m sure most others on here would be the same.

A few Celtic fans in my work keep saying Lennon now has to resign, that he should realise the anger from the fans and that he isn’t going any further with this team and walk away, doing himself out of hundreds of thousands of pounds in the process. I’m sure if he ‘mutually agreed’ to leave he would be able to cut himself a nice deal from Celtic, but there is absolutely no blame on him staying and carrying out the job he’s contracted to. 

Football managers have either some form of compensation written into their contract, or else they talk with the board to reach a mutual consent package. If Lennon walked away tomorrow then he would in reality get a pay-off regardless. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Football managers have either some form of compensation written into their contract, or else they talk with the board to reach a mutual consent package. If Lennon walked away tomorrow then he would in reality get a pay-off regardless. 

I understand that. That’s why I said that even a ‘mutual agreement’ would allow Lennon to be paid a sizeable amount of money, but less than what he would get if he was to paid his contract in full. Was more getting at Celtic fans claiming he should resign as some sort of favour to the club, when they wouldn’t do the same if it meant they lost out on a few quid. 

Was it Pochettino who struck a deal where he continued to be paid his remaining salary, which only stopped once he took another job? 

35 minutes ago, virginton said:

Pochettino's supposed agreement was not to take another English top flight job in the 19/20 season, perhaps that got him full pay at least for that season.

In Lennon's case, Celtic would probably pay him to get a job at one of their competitors.  If by some miracle that was the Rangers gig then, from Celtic's perspective, so much the better.

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Sure, but English also makes the point that the Celtic board should just sack him (and pay him out) and get him out of his misery.  I don't really see much in the article that suggests Lennon should resign.  

38 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Sure, but English also makes the point that the Celtic board should just sack him (and pay him out) and get him out of his misery.  I don't really see much in the article that suggests Lennon should resign.  

Apologies I have jumped into a slightly different point from the one you raised. I was getting at a few Celtic fans who were saying that Lennon, being a ‘Celtic man’, should understand the feelings of the supporters and resign for the good of the club, possibly waiving any right to compensation he would have. 

I understand that. That’s why I said that even a ‘mutual agreement’ would allow Lennon to be paid a sizeable amount of money, but less than what he would get if he was to paid his contract in full. Was more getting at Celtic fans claiming he should resign as some sort of favour to the club, when they wouldn’t do the same if it meant they lost out on a few quid. 

Was it Pochettino who struck a deal where he continued to be paid his remaining salary, which only stopped once he took another job? 
I think that's a fairly standard approach that teams tend to take - rather than paying it all in one go they keep paying an ex-manager's salary until the original contract ends or they get a new job.

1 hour ago, true_rover said:
10 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I think that's a fairly standard approach that teams tend to take - rather than paying it all in one go they keep paying an ex-manager's salary until the original contract ends or they get a new job.

There are Italian sides that sometimes have often have 2 or even 3 managers getting paid the whole time on this basis - it’s not unusual to for them to sack a guy, keep him on the payroll, appoint a successor, sack him 6 months later then re-appoint the first guy on the basis that they’re still paying him anyway!