The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Apparently they weigh the same as the old ones, the rule has always been 14-16 oz and even the old argument about how old balls got wet and heavy doesnt hold up as it meant they travelled slower.

Seen someone who was doing a study on it talking on Sky Sports news recently.

Not when they were booted up the pitch and dropping from a great height onto your napper they weren't, you felt your head sink into your shoulders.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

3 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

What about studies on the effect of these boulders on us kids who played in the 70s and 80s at school, for the BBs, etc?

I can still hear the PYOOIIIIINNG as one of them leathered  (no pun intended) off some poor bugger.

image.png.0b0ede391076797e0390e03d672e2e3d.png

I played in goals in those days.  It was before goalie gloves were used.  My hands still have a pebble dash effect from catching (occasionally) those bloody things. 

On 17/01/2021 at 10:23, Boghead ranter said:

What about studies on the effect of these boulders on us kids who played in the 70s and 80s at school, for the BBs, etc?

I can still hear the PYOOIIIIINNG as one of them leathered  (no pun intended) off some poor bugger.

A good old Mitre stingyerlegs .....

On 17/01/2021 at 10:23, Boghead ranter said:

The inner thigh sting you got from that still haunts me.  Those fluorescent green indoor footballs were much more nicer to be hit with.  The ones that looked like big tennis balls.

1 hour ago, G51 Red said:

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

The inner thigh sting you got from that still haunts me.  Those fluorescent green indoor footballs were much more nicer to be hit with.  The ones that looked like big tennis balls.

Especially on a wet, cold winter's day, Jeezo. 

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
5 hours ago, G51 Red said:

Took one of them square in the dish from yards away when a boy decided to turn and volley it during a PE session. Took it like a champ but it knocked me into next week. Face was numb for days.

Ouch .....

Took one of them square in the dish from yards away when a boy decided to turn and volley it during a PE session. Took it like a champ but it knocked me into next week. Face was numb for days.
Fear of skidding off the blaes pitch keep you upright?

40 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

The SPFL Twitter account could have shown highlights from one of the teams still in the league cup but what would be the point in that?

Reminding us that we got knocked out early, very considerate of them.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

The SPFL Twitter account could have shown highlights from one of the teams still in the league cup but what would be the point in that?

Truly incredible.

That would be bad enough coming from a moronic, disappointed sponsor or bookie.  

But for the actual SPFL to do that is disgusting.  

First the fixture is the wrong way around (Not that big a point )

They pick a Hibs player who has not been part of the team for most of this season and make him massive, but then they have him in last years kit. 

Stevie May looks like an after thought.

I write stuff for the SPFL site every week, and have previously done previews and things like that for the cup semis so I have a bit of insider knowledge of how they prepare for these big games.

From what I gather they have a bunch of videos from cup semi-finals which they spread through the week, and they don't want to use the best stuff up on the Monday. Instead they start off with their generic cup semi final content and save the more club-specific stuff until closer to the actual games.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I write stuff for the SPFL site every week, and have previously done previews and things like that for the cup semis so I have a bit of insider knowledge of how they prepare for these big games.

From what I gather they have a bunch of videos from cup semi-finals which they spread through the week, and they don't want to use the best stuff up on the Monday. Instead they start off with their generic cup semi final content and save the more club-specific stuff until closer to the actual games.

They're not going to shag you, m8.