The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

39 minutes ago, TonyFerrino said:

BBC Sport couldnae find a picture of the laddie from last night's game?  Or, as is more likely, couldnae be arsed and grabbed the first one to hand.

It's not like it's an important issue or anything....

Screenshot_20210110-121426_BBC Sport.jpg

Bonnyrigg is basically a Hearts town, Charlie Adam was abused after Dundee beat Hearts last week.

Common denominator isnt hard to find..................................

image.png.38d57c1305df9c3c511bf6920734cbe9.png

Edited by Green Day

21 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

TBF, they've mentioned 3 more teams than they normally do...

Is it possible a team of headline writers sit around a desk with their skinny lattes every day and work on what Old Firm headline will wind people up on here, and then review the posts the following day at the start of the next meeting?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19016434.gordon-smith-need-introduce-plastic-footballs-kids-training-sessions/

I can't see beyond the free intro paras due to reaching my max number of free articles. Is Gordon Smith really suggesting that in the whole dementia debate that kids need to be protected from the new modern lightweight leather balls? 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19016434.gordon-smith-need-introduce-plastic-footballs-kids-training-sessions/
I can't see beyond the free intro paras due to reaching my max number of free articles. Is Gordon Smith really suggesting that in the whole dementia debate that kids need to be protected from the new modern lightweight leather balls? 
Apparently they weigh the same as the old ones, the rule has always been 14-16 oz and even the old argument about how old balls got wet and heavy doesnt hold up as it meant they travelled slower.

Seen someone who was doing a study on it talking on Sky Sports news recently.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Apparently they weigh the same as the old ones, the rule has always been 14-16 oz and even the old argument about how old balls got wet and heavy doesnt hold up as it meant they travelled slower.

Seen someone who was doing a study on it talking on Sky Sports news recently.

I know the awful impact of heading old soaking wet leather balls for players  in the 60s and 70s. However from say 80s onwards and into the 90s, is there (serious) evidence to suggest that heading newer balls has also has a detrimental impact? Have studies also been carried out on modern balls?

I imagine dementia related charities say, yes, modern footballs will have an impact and probably are against all forms of heading the ball. However I wonder if there is independent studies to support this......

I have anly read headlines on this so largely unsighted - just surprised, given how lightweight modern footballs are that officials wish children to use something even lighter.....

5 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

I know the awful impact of heading old soaking wet leather balls for players  in the 60s and 70s. However from say 80s onwards and into the 90s, is there (serious) evidence to suggest that heading newer balls has also has a detrimental impact? Have studies also been carried out on modern balls?

I imagine dementia related charities say, yes, modern footballs will have an impact and probably are against all forms of heading the ball. However I wonder if there is independent studies to support this......

I have anly read headlines on this so largely unsighted - just surprised, given how lightweight modern footballs are that officials wish children to use something even lighter.....

The point is that they arent lightweight at all. They are the same weight they have always been. There is an argument to say that modern balls are worse, since they are the same weight but technology has changed and allowed them to travel faster, and players are fitter/stronger and can hit them harder. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The point is that they arent lightweight at all. They are the same weight they have always been. There is an argument to say that modern balls are worse, since they are the same weight but technology has changed and allowed them to travel faster, and players are fitter/stronger and can hit them harder. 

yes - sorry, you mentioned that and I glossed over it. What I should say is that if the starting weight of the ball is say 420g, is there clear evidence to confirm that occasionally heading a ball of that weight throughout a game (over. a period of years) has a detrimental impact on a player's brain?

The balls of the 60s and 70s would start at that weight but would get heavier as the game progressed. That has not been the case from probably the 80s but certainly the 90s onwards - therefore its the argument that 420g is still too heavy? I would say from dementia charities, the answer is probably yes, but is there evidence to corroborate this? 

But I stand corrected in using the term "modern lightweight balls"!

1 minute ago, KingRocketman II said:

yes - sorry, you mentioned that and I glossed over it. What I should say is that if the starting weight of the ball is say 420g, is there clear evidence to confirm that occasionally heading a ball of that weight throughout a game (over. a period of years) has a detrimental impact on a player's brain?

The balls of the 60s and 70s would start at that weight but would get heavier as the game progressed. That has not been the case from probably the 80s but certainly the 90s onwards - therefore its the argument that 420g is still too heavy? I would say from dementia charities, the answer is probably yes, but is there evidence to corroborate this? 

But I stand corrected in using the term "modern lightweight balls"!

As I say the guy I heard talking about this said the added water weight was somewhat mitigated by the effect it had on the ball speed through the air. 

As far as how much conclusive evidence there is, I dont know but it's certainly under the spotlight and gathering pace. There must be plenty of info available out there now.