The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

No "beef" as such, just that she is very negative about women's football (and gender equality in football in general) and also doesn't seem to have a filter when it comes to making comments that might hurt or offend someone.

I was hoping for some gossip. 

3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Listened to the Sportsound podcast this morning (from Sunday’s programme) and heard Malpas calling Jim McLean a better tactician than Ferguson or Stein (he played under all three, so will accept that) and then Lovenkrands talking about the title race, and blowing a big lead in the Bundesliga when he was with Schalke.

Buy a Daily Record today and the back page has the Malpas quote and the Lovenkrands title warning.

Insightful stuff - just lifting the previous day’s Sportsound.

A lot of their click bait shite comes from whatever nonsense comes off talk sport. 

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
6 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
Out of interest, unless they're injured there's McGregor and Davis but are there others?

Well there will be some who won league titles coming up from inception to Premiership. Tavernier was certainly there for some

Diddy titles , do not count !

On 19/12/2020 at 10:59, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Speirs going full Partridge/yer da

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Epl3w7qXcAcTBc3?format=jpg&name=medium

On 20/12/2020 at 12:21, LIVIFOREVER said:

What i would say though, men have a height advantage over them, for getting to shots into the top corners, or stretching saves to either side, i don't watch a lot of women's football but i haven't seen 6 ft 4/5/6/7 keepers in any of their games. In fact a lot of the ones i have seen looked under 6 foot, and i see Hope Solo is only 5ft 9, which would be really short for a male goalkeeper. 

On 20/12/2020 at 12:35, Dons_1988 said:

I think the height point is probably a good one. I’d imagine the average height of female keepers is a good bit below that of the men’s game. 

Late to this particular debate but , as hamfistedly as Speirs failed to make the point, he’s maybe right?

Women goalkeepers are smaller (in the same size goals) so fail to save as many shots as their male counterparts. Ergo, have a biological disadvantage, no? 

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Late to this particular debate but , as hamfistedly as Speirs failed to make the point, he’s maybe right?

Women goalkeepers are smaller (in the same size goals) so fail to save as many shots as their male counterparts. Ergo, have a biological disadvantage, no? 

I'm not sure that a three paragraph space-cadet burble about the exotic and utterly mysterious phenomenon of female goalkeepers being relatively inferior to their male counterparts is the right way to go about saying "Women are five inches shorter on average".

39 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Yeah i was making that point, not watched enough women's football to compare them fairly to men's though, but i've seen a hell of a lot of blunders that have nothing to do with height in the men's game, just saw one on Sat there for our first goal against Killie.

Robbie McCrorie a couple of times for us this season too, and he's a Scotland U21 player tipped for big things. The famous hand of god where Shilton got beat to the ball by a short arsed Maradona, Rob Green's hilarious fumble for England, the Liverpool keeper a couple of seasons back in the Champions league final, made 2 absolute howlers. I could go on and on. It isn't just a gender thing seeing keepers make absolute f**k ups.

As i said though, i haven't enough knowledge of the women's game to compare it to  scale, and get a percentage for fair comparisons, but i suspect Spiers is talking bollocks and just conveniently forgetting the blunders male keepers make.

On 28/12/2020 at 06:58, Perkin Flump said:

The original article in the Sunday Mail mentioned other than those two so looks like shite editing on the website. Weirdly his entire column was printed twice yesterday in the paper so think the entire department have been on the piss over Christmas.

That's fantastic. Any chance you could post photos of that here? Would be hilarious to see.

31 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Spectacular. Pretty sure that was, "It's almost Christmas Eve and I don't give a f***, so just throw something out there."

The equivalent of: "Breaking! Callum Davidson ate food today."

Are you calling him fat?

2 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

Paper is binned, not much to see anyway, just the same page printed twice.

That's hilarious. I once saw that in a paper with a circulation of less than 500 about 10 years ago, but to see it happen in that large of a publication in 2020 is awesome.

The Record used to have a column-sized thing in the sport pages about headlines from around the world in football - such and such has signed for this mob, a club have a new manager, etc. One year they printed a few lines about Toni Kroos signing for Real Madrid. A full year to the day since it had happened.

I don't know if this has been referenced before... But it's the expected BBC Scotland view of the world.

In the online "Live Reporting" (usually a fair bit behind the real world) every top tier goal is proclaimed loudly and clearly. Very clearly in the case of two clubs, who are given the great distinction of having the goal scorers picture overlaying the club colours. For the rest of us it's generally the right colours, but players images? Nah. Lazy? Biased? Incompetent? Wind-up? BBC.

Goal.jpg

13 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

How many times does it happen in football? Well it certainly didn't happen in this game.

Also, is Shaw-shank Redemption meant to a pun of some sort?

image.thumb.png.9fe6e155e4c47cea3b7f04eba1c1ce73.png

They had To Whom It May Concern  above a picture of Stevie May as well. Shite.