The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

13 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

It’s so different seeing these guys in the flesh. I went to the Rome derby a few years back. I’d seen Totti play a million times on the telly, and thought I knew how good he was, but when I saw him up close I couldn’t believe his quality. It wasn’t the spectacular stuff, it was the fact that he just killed practically every ball that got pumped up to him, whilst wrestling with a big centre half then held it up and found a team mate. Both feet, chest, thighs, head it didn’t matter, he just killed it. You don’t (or at least I certainly didn’t) appreciate that when you see him on the telly, but in the flesh, it was incredible to watch. 

I was like that with Brian Laudrup when he played against The Caley. You used to see him on TV doing all the turns and passes and flicks, but in person it looked so much more impressive.  

Agreed. Took my sons to Barca v Villareal some years ago. Was a bit disappointed when Messi got injured just a week or two ahead of the game, but watching Iniesta almost made up for it. Made himself available even when an opponent was 3 feet away but knew how to protect the ball and turn away into space etc. Super player.

19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well aye, and every "stat" is analysed to try and find the best way to score, and best way to prevent conceding. 

Its the reason Liverpool, for instance, spend £100m+ on building an analysis department and their equipment. Jota was identified by analysts as being an effective finisher based on his xG conversion rate over his career, and valued as good value for money based on this increasing to match Liverpools average.

You can think its a lot of shite and that's fine, this incessant need for some folk to belittle anyone who doesn't think its shite its just weird though, especially when they act as if they somehow know more about the game because they don't care about stats.

£100m to identify that someone who scored 16 goals last season is probably good.

Money flushed down the drain.

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

£100m to identify that someone who scored 16 goals last season is probably good.

Money flushed down the drain.

To find someone who effortlessly fits into any of their front three positions and performs straight away.

Or you could just sign mates of players that you've watched a couple of times...

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

To find someone who effortlessly fits into any of their front three positions and performs straight away.

Or you could just sign mates of players that you've watched a couple of times...

Did the advanced stats tell them that or is it just luck it happened?

For example Thiago hasn't looked half the player he was before joining Liverpool. Is that on the stats department or just something that can't be accounted for?

23 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

For example Thiago hasn't looked half the player he was before joining Liverpool. Is that on the stats department or just something that can't be accounted for?

The advanced stats will have told them he would fit their system and projected his output.

You could probably argue Thiago was signed based on his name.

Big name player flops - Small name player succeeds. Who'd be involved in transfers. 

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The advanced stats will have told them he would fit their system and projected his output.

You could probably argue Thiago was signed based on his name.

Big name player flops - Small name player succeeds. Who'd be involved in transfers. 

So the advanced stats are to applauded when someone succeeds but ignored when there is a failure.

The obvious bias in sample selection, one of the most basic flaws in any statistical analysis makes the whole sports advanced stats movement a sham.

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

So the advanced stats are to applauded when someone succeeds but ignored when there is a failure.

The obvious bias in sample selection, one of the most basic flaws in any statistical analysis makes the whole sports advanced stats movement a sham.

No team, not even Liverpool or Brentford, signs a player based solely on his metrics. It’s simply incorporated as one part of the scouting process.

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

No, its not to be written off by folk who believe it does nothing.

Its used to find playera like Jota who aren't obvious signings but are perfect fits. Sometimes signings go wrong, sometimes they don't. Football is unpredictable. 

All it does is allow you to look through 1000s of players and bring that number down, instead of sending scouts to watch 100s.

56 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The stats department released a statistic showing that it was something that couldn't be accounted for.

2 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Can't see an awful lot wrong in that piece.  He's not as prolific as last season, he's missing good chances and he's still a liability to the team.

It gets a lot wrong (as is common for Michael Stewart), but this bit in particular stands out:

"I think the team would actually improve (if Morelos was dropped). Morelos, he doesn't show anything as a team player."

There is no way it's possible to watch Rangers this season and not notice the change in role that Morelos has undertaken that's facilitated us spreading the goals around the rest of the team. Sacrificing your own output for the good of the team is the definition of a team player.

It gets a lot wrong (as is common for Michael Stewart), but this bit in particular stands out:
"I think the team would actually improve (if Morelos was dropped). Morelos, he doesn't show anything as a team player."
There is no way it's possible to watch Rangers this season and not notice the change in role that Morelos has undertaken that's facilitated us spreading the goals around the rest of the team. Sacrificing your own output for the good of the team is the definition of a team player.
He should have been walking early in the game today and his shooting was pretty dire. Not the only game this season that both those points are more accurate that Morelos in front of goal.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-news-arteta-pochettino-manager-23167854.amp

When i read that headline, I thought that he had given his opinion on what managing a team like arsenal is like. Maybe he sympathises with arteta? And knows the pressure and demand of a “big” club like that. No, all it is, is an article that suggest a manager that isn’t being linked with the job said 2 year ago said he would never manage arsenal.